Ethiopian Airlines (Amharic: የኢትዮጵያ አየር መንገድ, romanized: ye-Ityopya ayer menged), formerly Ethiopian Air Lines (EAL) and often referred to as simply Ethiopian, is Ethiopia’s flag carrier and is wholly owned by the country’s government. EAL was founded on 21 December 1945 and commenced operations on 8 April 1946, expanding to international flights in 1951. The firm became a share company in 1965 and changed its name from Ethiopian Air Lines to Ethiopian Airlines. The airline has been a member of the International Air Transport Association since 1959 and of the African Airlines Association (AFRAA) since 1968. Ethiopian is a Star Alliance member, having joined in December 2011. The company slogan is The New Spirit of Africa. Its hub and headquarters are at Bole International Airport in Addis Ababa, from where it serves a network of 125 passenger destinations—20 of them domestic—and 44 freighter destinations. The airline has secondary hubs in Togo and Malawi. Ethiopian is Africa’s largest airline in terms of passengers carried, destinations served, fleet size, and revenue. Ethiopian is also the world’s 4th largest airline by the number of countries served. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Information
Maximum weight per single bag: 32 kg for business class, 23 kg for economy class.
What is the baggage allowance for my infant?
- When weight system is used, and infant (not entitled to a seat) is allowed to 10 kg of free baggage and also one fully collapsible stroller/push chair, which may be carried in the passenger cabin subject to availability of space.
- When piece system is used, an infant (not entitled to a seat) pays 10% of the applicable fare and can have one checked baggage weighing up to 10 kg and maximum sum of dimension is 115 cm (45 in.) plus one fully collapsible stroller/push chair, which may be carried in the passenger cabin subject to availability of space.
Business: up to 2 pieces, each with a maximum weight of 7 kg
Economy: 1 piece with a maximum weight of 7 kg and maximum sum of dimensions equal to 118 cm (46 in.)
In addition, passengers may also carry free of charge items of personal effects for use in flight, as listed below:
- A handbag (laptop bag), pocket book or purse
- A small camera and/or a pair of binoculars
- A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight
- Infant’s food for consumption in flight
- Infant’s carrying basket
- A fully collapsible cabin wheelchair and/or a pair of crutches, and/or braces or other prosthetic device provided that passengers are dependent on them
- One laptop without accessories and attachments
Cabin Carry-On Luggage
Cabin Carry-On Luggage
- For business class two (2) pieces each weighing 7 kgs is acceptable free of charge.For economy class one (1) piece with a maximum weight of 7 kgs is acceptable free of charge. In both cases the carry on baggage should be suitable for placement in the over-head rack or under the passenger’s seat. The sum of the three dimensions (L+W+H) shall not exceed (23 x 40 x 55 cm).
- In addition to the carry on luggage allowance provided herein, each passenger may carry without additional charge, the following carry on items the weight of which shall not exceed 5kg. The carry on items are permitted for use during the flight and when retained in the passengers’ custody as listed here below:
- A lady handbag, pocket book or purse, which is appropriate to normal traveling
dress and is not being used as a container for the transportation of articles,
which would otherwise be regarded as baggage.
- An overcoat, wrap or blanket.
- A small camera and/or a pair of binoculars.
- A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight.
- Infant’s food for consumption in flight.
- Infant’s carrying basket.
- Duty Free Items
- On top of the additional 7 kg already permitted, passengers may carry a fully collapsible wheel chair and/or a pair of crutches, and /or braces or other prosthetic device for the passenger use provided that the passenger is dependent upon them.
Ethiopian Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
Economy: up to 2 pieces, each with a maximum weight of 23 kg (50 lbs.) and maximum sum of dimension equal to 158 cm (62 in.)
Cloud Nine: up to 2 pieces, each with a maximum weight of 32 kg (70 lbs.) and a maximum sum of dimension equal to 158 cm (62 in.)
ShebaMiles Gold, ShebaMiles Silver, and Star Gold: up to 3 pieces
On long-haul flights:
- When weight system is used, ShebaMiles Gold members and Star Alliance Gold members will receive an additional 20 kg. ShebaMiles Silver members will receive an additional 15 kg.
- When piece system is used, ShebaMiles Gold members and Star Alliance Gold members are entitled to one additional baggage allowance with weight limited to the class of service used. ShebaMiles Silver members are entitled to one additional baggage allowance with weight limited to 23 kg.
Ethiopian Airlines Excess, Overweight, Oversize Baggage Fees
Any additional checked bags beyond the complementary is subject to a fee. Please check www.ethiopianairlines.com in the Information/Baggage/Excess and Special Baggage section for current fees.
One set of skiing equipment (one pair of skis, one pair of ski poles and/or one pair of boots) will be charged at the applicable rate for 3 kg of excess baggage. If you carry more than one set, the normal excess baggage charge shall apply for the extra weight.
One set of golfing equipment (one golf bag and one pair of golf shoes) will be charged at the applicable rate for 6 kg of excess baggage. If weight of golfing equipment exceeds 15 kg, the normal excess charge shall apply.
Ethiopian Airlines recommends that passengers provide an advance notice of 48 hours and check-in one hour in advance to use their respirator, ventilator, CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine or POC (Portable Oxygen Concentrator).
Ethiopian Airlines Delayed, Lost, or Damaged Baggage
Report delayed baggage at the airport or online
Delayed, lost and damaged baggage should be reported to Ethiopian Airlines representative at the airport of your destination immediately after the arrival of your flight and before leaving the baggage claim area to secure a file reference number.
ET and its agents handle all baggage with diligent care. Nevertheless, damage might happen under certain circumstances. If you believe ET has damaged your checked baggage, please review this page to see how to report your claim. As a general rule, baggage which qualifies for compensation will be subject to repair or replacement. However, ET will assess the degree, time factors and the depreciation rates of baggage, a different handling other than repair may be offered.
However, ET is not liable for the destruction, loss or damage of any baggage caused by
- Defects in the material of baggage itself or aging after use
- Minor dents, cuts, scratches, scuffs, dents, dirt and stains.
- Protruding parts such as cover/straps/hooks/belts & lock.
- Damage due to over-packing or inadequate packing of baggage.
Damage or pilferage resulting from random search of Transportation Security Administration (TSA) or other safety inspections of each country.
If your baggage has not been delivered, you can also report it as delayed online by filling the Lost Baggage Inventory Form (BIF) found i the link below and sending it to your nearest Ethiopian offices at your destination.
Ethiopian Airlines sincerely regrets the delay in tracing your baggage. Every effort will be made to locate and restore your bag. The total allowed tracing period is 25 days from the date of incident. During this time the automated tracing system will match the profile created for your bag with similar type of bags that remain unclaimed at various other airports all around the world.
Find out the whereabouts of your baggage online
Once you file a claim you can follow your claim status following this link:
For lack of local contact or in case of unreasonable delays on your claim, please contact customer relation through
Support and Feedback
Ethiopian Airlines General Baggage Restrictions
For the safety of our passengers, crew, and aircraft, the following items are either prohibited or restricted on all Ethiopian flight. Please ensure that you do not pack items specified in this list in your carry-on or checked baggage. Exceptions are medicinal articles which are necessary or appropriate for the passenger during the journey
Restrictions on Carriage of Lithium Batteries
Batteries and Devices Powered by Batteries (Lithium and other batteries)
Batteries spare/or loose, including lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, for portable electronic devices
- For lithium metal batteries, the lithium metal content shall not exceed 2g.
- For lithium ion batteries, the Watt Hour rating shall not exceed 100Wh.
- Must be carried in carry-on baggage only.
- Articles whose primary purpose is as a power source, e.g. power banks are considered as spare batteries.
- These batteries must be individually protected to avoid short-circuit.
- Each passenger is limited to a maximum of 20 spare batteries provided item number 1 & 2 above are fulfilled.NB: – Carriage of more than 20 Spare batteries may be allowed if request comes in advance and prior approval is secured.
- Lithium batteries with watt hour rating exceeding 100Wh but not exceeding 160Wh for consumer electronic devices and Portable Medical Electronic Devices (PMED) or lithium metal content exceeding 2g but not exceeding 8gm for PMED only can be accepted with prior approval.
- Maximum of 2 spare batteries allowed.
- Shall be carried only in in carry-on bags.
- Batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.
Some examples of PMED: Automated External Defibrillator(AED), Portable Oxygen Concentrator(POC), Continuous Positive airway pressure(CPAP)
Portable Electronic Devices (PED) containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries
- For lithium metal batteries, the lithium metal content not exceeding 2g.
- For lithium ion batteries, the Watt Hour rating not exceeding 100Wh.
- Devices can be carried both as carry on and checked in bags
- When carried in checked in bag, devices must be completely switched off and shall be protected from any possible damage.
- The maximum allowable limit is 15 PEDs (if with-in above two conditions).
- Baggage equipped with lithium battery, other than lithium button cells, the battery must be removable, and it shall be kept in carry-on bags only.NB: – Carriage of more than 15 PED may be allowed if request comes in advance and prior approval is secured.These include or may not be limited to (when carried by passengers for personal use)
- Medical devices such as Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POC)
- Mobile Phones
- Laptops and
- Lithium battery-powered electronic devices. Lithium ion batteries for portable (including medical) electronic devices, a watt hour rating exceeding 100 Watt hours but not exceeding 160 Watt hours. For portable medical electronic devices only, lithium metal batteries with a lithium content exceeding 2 grams but not exceeding 8 grams.
- Shall be allowed to be carried in cabin or as checked in bag with prior approval.
- Devices in checked in baggage must be completely switched off and need to be protected from damage.Lithium Battery powered vehicles/motorized vehicles (which are not mobility aids) and commonly referred as air-wheel, solo-wheel, electric skateboards, hover-board, mini-Segway, balance wheels both as carry-on or checked-in baggage are prohibited, whether with or without lithium battery, as the materials are posing risk to flight safety.To convert Amp-hours (Ah) to Watt-hours (Wh) multiply Ah x VoltageThe terminals of all spare batteries must be protected from short circuit by enclosing them in their original retail packaging or taping over the terminals or separate plastic bags for each battery.
Smart Luggage with removable batteries
Smart luggage is a luggage that contains a battery used to power itself or to recharge other devices.
Smart bags are allowed in the cabin if the battery is removable and within the cabin baggage size and weight limits. The battery can remain installed as long as the smart bag is completely powered off. Smart bags are permitted as checked baggage if the battery is removed and carried in the cabin. The carriage of the smart bag shall only be provided the weight and size is with-in the acceptable limit.
Acceptance of Drones
For safety reasons, drones are not accepted on Ethiopian flight as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you are interested to carry drones on Ethiopian flights, it shall be only in checked in baggage. The lithium battery shall be secured with in the drone or must be removed and kept in the cabin bag provided all other requirements are fulfilled. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
|Examples of Lithium Batteries
||Small Lithium Batteries and Cells include mobile phone
batteries, watch batteries, power banks, MP3 player batteries
and most original laptop batteries. The maximum rating for
these batteries is 100 watt -hours ( Wh) Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
||Medium Lithium batteries and cells incl ude larger batteries
and cells – examples include some extended life batteries for
laptop computers, and batteries used by audiovisual professionals.
A “medium” battery provides between 100 and 160 watt -hours of power. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
||Power Bank: only 2 pieces of power banks, not exceeding 160 W H,
are permitted in carry-on baggage. If it exceeds 160 W H it shall
be transported as cargo on cargo aircraft only. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
||Lithium Battery powered vehicles/motorized vehicles (which are not mobility aids)
and commonly referred as air-wheel, solo- wheel, electric skateboards,hover-board,
mini- Segway, balance wheels are prohibited both as carry-on or checked-in baggage
whether with or without lithium battery.
||Large lithium batteries and cells are primarily those used in industry.
A large rechargeable battery provides over 160 watt -hours of power.
Large batteries may be found in some electric and hybrid vehicles,
as well as mobility devices and scooters. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
Note: Spare Lithium Battery (batteries which are not installed in equipment), including power banks is prohibited as checked-in baggage and/or as cargo on passenger aircraft.
For passengers with flights departing from Korea
Lithium Batteries shall not be placed in check-in baggage. And,Lithium Batteries in equipment (including mobile phone) is allowed only 5 (not exceeded 100watt) in Carry-On/hand baggage. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
Rules in checked baggage
- Dangerous goods are articles or substances which are capable of presenting significant risk to health, safety or to property when transported by air.
- For safety reasons, dangerous articles as defined in the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations, such as those listed here below shall not be carried as, within, or as part of passengers’ baggage.
- Brief-cases and security type attaché cases with installed alarm devices; or incorporative lithium batteries and/or pyrotechnic material;
- Spare Lithium Batteries
- Power banks
- Trionic briefcases – similar to normal briefcases from outside.
- Mace canisters – similar to cigarette lighters and sprays.
- Gases (flammable, non-flammable, deeply refrigerated and poisonous) such as butane, oxygen, liquid nitrogen, aqualung cylinders.
- Corrosive materials (such as acids, alkalis, mercury and wet cell batteries).
- Etiologic agents.
- Explosive, munitions fireworks and flares.
- Flammable liquids and solids such as lighter or heating fuels, matches, paints, thinners, fire-lighters.
- Oxidizing materials such as bleaching powder, and peroxides.
- Poisons and infectious substances such as insecticides, weed-killers and live virus materials.
- Radioactive materials.
- Other dangerous articles such as magnetized materials, offensive or irritating materials as listed in the IATA Dangerous Articles Regulations. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
Rules on carry-on baggage
Passengers are not allowed to carry the following items in their hand baggage for passengers’ safety and security reasons. To minimize inconvenience, you are advised to check in or put these items in your checked baggage instead:
- Knives (including hunting knives, swords, and pocket knives)
- Scissors and any other sharp/bladed objects (e.g. ice-pick, nail clippers) considered illegal by local law
- Weapons such as whips, nan-chakus, baton, or stun gun
- Toys guns/gun shaped items or look-alikes, hand-cuffs
- Sporting equipment such as baseball/cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey sticks, billiard cues
- Devices with spill able batteries
- Aerosols (hair sprays, perfumes, medicines containing alcohol) not exceeding 0.5KG/L per article and 2.0KG/L in total weight
- Baby strollers
- Spare Lithium Batteries (not more than 2 pieces allowed if the watt-hour rating exceeding 100Wh but not exceeding 160Wh/ Lithium content exceeding 2g but not exceeding 8g)
- Power banks (only 2 pieces allowed as long as watt-hour rating is not exceeding 160Wh)
- Any other items which are deemed security hazards by local law
- Any other items that resemble or have similar functions to the above items
Please note that these items will be retrieved at the boarding gate by the local authorities and depending on local rules and regulations, the items may not be returned to you
Liquid and Gels in Hand Baggage
As of 1 June 2007, International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) recommends all liquids, gels, pastes and aerosols up to 100 ml must be carried in one transparent and resealable plastic bag to a maximum capacity of 1 Litre. The transparent bag dimensions should not exceed 20 cm x 20 cm or 8 inches x 8 inches. Containers over 100 ml will not be accepted even if they are partialy full. All items must fit comfortably in the plastic bag. You are required to produce your clear transparent bag of liquids separately for security screening. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
There are no restrictions on baby food and medication. However, you will be required to produce a medical certificate for medication taken onboard.
When you travel abroad, it is recommended that you know basic entry and security regulations of your destination country by checking available websites. For example, if you are traveling to U.S.A. then we suggest to check www.tsa.gov web site for detail information. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
Free baggage allowance on all other international routes and within Ethiopia
On Ethiopian free baggage allowance is set by the weight or piece concept whichever is applicable to the sector.
Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy (Effective 09 Jul 19-UFN) FREE BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE , Click here for more information.
Note: The maximum sum of the three dimensions (length + width + height) of each bag shall not exceed 158 cms (62 inches).
Local restrictions on baggage weight
Please note that the maximum weight limit per single baggage is 32 kg for business class and 23 kg for economy class on all flights across the Atlantic (outbound and return, as well as transfers). Baggage exceeding this weight limit will not be accepted for check- in.
This regulation does not change the maximum weight limit for the free baggage allowance.
Baggage Allowance & Fees for flight to/from the US and Canada
For Ethiopian-ticketed passengers on Ethiopian-operated flights (ET) the first and second checked bag in Cloud Nine and Economy is free. For ShebaMiles Gold, ShebaMiles Silver and Star Gold passengers, the first checked bag above the complimentary (free) checked bag allowance shown above is also free of charge.(for Shebamiles Gold 32 kg (70 lbs) with maximum dimension (L+W+H)158 cm (62 inches). each regardless of the class of service they travel; for Star Alliance Gold members 01 piece weight limited to the class of service used with size of 32 kg (70 lbs) with maximum dimension (L+W+H)158 cm (62 inches). and for Shebamiles Silver 23 kg (50 lbs) with maximum dimension (L+W+H)158 cm (62 inches). each regardless of the class of service they travel(For Shebamiles Silver Applicable only on Ethiopian Airlines flights and to flights operated by Ethiopian Airlines).
In Cloud Nine and Economy, including ShebaMiles Gold, ShebaMiles Silver and Star Gold passengers, the fee for any additional checked bags beyond the complementary specified above is $200/bag each way between the USA/Canada and Addis Ababa, between Middle east and Asia and USA/Canada $250/bag each way and for all other points the fee is USD200.00/bag each way. Please review Ethiopian Carry-On for Carry-on bag size and weight information clicking the link below:
Cabin Carry-On Luggage
Additional baggage fees may apply in the event of a stopover on an international itinerary.
Codeshare/International flights exceptions
For travel to/from, with US, on an interline itinerary, additional airline fees for baggage may apply. Please refer to the website of the airline operating the first flight segment of your interline itinerary in your electronic ticket confirmation. If the first number in the itinerary starts with
Free baggage allowance on long-haul flights
For numerous long-haul flights the Piece Concept applies. This means that adult passenger may check in up to two pieces of baggage in addition to their carry-on baggage free of charge. Please check the chart below for the allowed weights per piece.
|Across Atlantic from to U.S.A.
2 pieces, 32 kg each
3 pieces 23 kg each
2 pieces, 23 kg each
Additional free baggage allowance for Sheba Miles Gold & Silver and Star Alliance Gold Members
- When weight system is used, ShebaMiles Gold members and Star Alliance Gold members will receive 20 kgs with maximum dimension (L+W+H) 158 cm (62 inches) in addition to the free baggage allowance. ShebaMiles Silver members will receive 15 kgs with maximum dimension (L+W+H) 158 cm (62 inches)in addition to the free baggage allowance but only on Ethiopian Airlines flights and to flights operated by Ethiopian Airlines. ShebaMiles Blue members will receive 5 kgs in addition to the free baggage allowance but only on Ethiopian Airlines international flights and if traveled in Economy class.
- When piece system is used, ShebaMiles Gold and ShebaMiles Silver members are entitled to one (1) extra additional baggage allowance with weight limited to 32kgs and 23 kgs respectively with maximum dimension (L+W+H)158 cm (62 inches), however for Shebamiles Silver applicable only on Ethiopian Airlines flights and to flights operated by Ethiopian Airlines . Star Alliance Gold members are entitled to one (1) extra additional baggage allowance with weight limited to the class of service used. ShebaMiles Blue members will receive 5 kgs in addition to the free baggage allowance but only on Ethiopian Airlines international flights and not as an additional piece, it shall be distributed in each of the two checked bags or included in one of the two pieces.
Transportation of pushchairs, wheelchairs or walking aids
- Special equipments required by incapacitated passengers with the passenger, and/or should be readily and immediately attainable at transfer and destination points.
- Passengers traveling with their own folding wheelchair or assistive device may request it to be carried in the passenger cabin where storage facilities are available. Such request will be handled on a ‘first come first served’ basis. Where such facilities do not exist, the wheelchair or assistive device will be loaded in the baggage hold where it is easily accessible for timely return to the passenger.
- If crutches, canes and similar walking aids are stored in a special location in the cabin, the user of such aids should be assigned seats nearby, to permit quick access to the aids when needed. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
Especially large and heavy pieces of baggage
- Baggage will be accepted for check-in, only if it properly contains and prevents damage to the contents. Light cardboard boxes, paper bags and similar non-durable materials are not acceptable. If the passenger so insists, it shall be accepted upon using Limited Release Tags, relieving Ethiopian from any damage claim.
- Acceptance of items which may cause damage to other baggage will be refused unless properly packed.
- Extremely bulky and oversized bags shall be forwarded by freight. Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy
Free baggage allowance for an infant
- A. For All Ethiopian flights except to/from the US and Canada
- An infant, not entitled to a seat is allowed to 10kgs of free baggage allowance and in addition one fully collapsible stroller/push chair, which may be carried in the passenger cabin subject to availability of space.
- B. For flight to/from the US and Canada
- Infant, paying 10% of the applicable fare and not occupying seat is entitled to one checked bag (piece) weighing 23kgs(50 lb),the sum of the 3 dimensions of which does not exceed 45 inches (115cms) plus one fully collapsible / pushchair, which may be carried in the passenger cabin subject to availability of space.
book and manage your flight easily.
Was this article helpful?