The National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA) is a Semi-Autonomous State Corporation under the Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government as per the Executive Order No. 1 of June 2018 (Revised).
A Gazette Notice dated April 26, 2001, established the National Agency for the Campaign Against Drug Abuse (NACADA) to undertake public education and awareness campaign against drug abuse, especially among youth in schools and other institutions of higher learning. The Authority operated as such until May 2006 when His Excellency the then President of the Republic of Kenya established an Advisory Board and appointed its Chairman through the Kenya Gazette Notice No. 3749 of 19th May 2006.
Through a Legal Notice No. 140 published in the Kenya Gazette Supplement on 29th June 2007, the Agency was transformed into the National Campaign Against Drug Abuse Authority (NACADAA) under the State Corporations Act (Cap 446 of the Laws of Kenya) to coordinate a multi-sectoral campaign to prevent, control and mitigate the impact of alcohol and drug abuse in the country. In 2010, the Authority’s mandate was expanded to include implementation of the Alcoholic Drinks Control Act 2010.
In July 2012, the Authority was again transformed to the National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA) having been firmly established under an Act of Parliament and its mandate expanded and elaborated in the National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA) Act, 2012.
The Authority works with schools, workplaces, colleges, universities, technical institutions, county governments, ministries, parastatals, national government administrative offices, faith-based institutions, CBOs, NGOs, self-help groups as well as individuals interested in a society free from alcohol and drug abuse.
Vision of The National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA)
A nation free from alcohol and drug abuse.
Mission of The National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA)
To lead and coordinate a multi-sectoral campaign against alcohol and drug abuse through prevention, advocacy, policy development, research, treatment and rehabilitation programs and execution of relevant statutes in Kenya.
Core Values of The National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA)
Compassion, Integrity, Professionalism, Equity, Courage, Creativity and Innovation
Core Functions of The National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA)
- Carry out public education on alcohol and drug abuse directly and in collaboration with other public or private bodies and institutions.
- Coordinate and facilitate public participation in the control of alcohol and drug abuse;
- Coordinate and facilitate inter-agency collaboration and liaison among lead agencies responsible for alcohol and drug demand reduction;
- In collaboration with other lead agencies, facilitate and promote the monitoring and surveillance of national and international emerging trends and patterns in the production, manufacture, sale, consumption, trafficking, promotion of alcohol and drugs of abuse;
- In collaboration with other lead agencies, provide and facilitate the development and operation of rehabilitation facilities, programs and standards for persons with substance use disorders;
- Subject to any other written law, license and regulate the operation of rehabilitation facilities for persons with substance use disorders;
- Coordinate and facilitate in collaboration with other lead agencies and non-state actors the formulation of national policies, laws, and plans of action on control of alcohol and drug abuse and facilitating their implementation, enforcement, continuous review, monitoring, and evaluation;
- In collaboration with other public and private agencies, facilitate, conduct, promote and coordinate research and dissemination of findings on data on alcohol and drug abuse and serve as the repository of such data;
- In collaboration with other lead agencies, prepare, publish and submit an alcohol and drug abuse control status report bi-annually to both Houses of Parliament through the Cabinet Secretary;
- To assist and support county governments in developing and implementing policies, laws, plans of action on control of drug abuse.
- Carry out such other roles necessary for the implementation of the objects and purpose of this Act and perform such other functions as may from time to time, be assigned by the Cabinet Secretary.
Chief Executive Officer
National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse
P.O. Box 10774 00100 NAIROBI
NSSF Building, Block A, Eastern Wing 18th Floor
+254 (020) 2721997/93
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
NAIROBI REGIONAL OFFICE( Covers Nairobi County)
Mr. James Macharia
Nairobi Regional Office, Nairobi
NSSF Building, Bishops Road; Annex-9th Floor
SOUTH RIFT (Covers Narok, Kajiado, Bomet, Nakuru, Kericho, Laikipia and Samburu counties)
Mr. Robert Olweny’
South Rift Regional Office
Regional Coordinators Office Nakuru, 2nd Floor, Room 5 A
+254 020 2008000407
NYANZA (Covers Kisumu, Nyamira, Kisii, Migori, Homabay and Siaya counties)
Ms. Esther Okenye
Nyanza Regional Office
Huduma Centre, Wing C, 1st Floor
P.O. Box 7783-40100 Kisumu
+254 702112559, 0770892136
WESTERN (Covers Kakamega, Busia, Bungoma and Vihiga counties)
Ms. Sarah Koske
Western Regional Office
Regional Coordinators Office 1st Floor, Room 29
+254 720 807 754
CENTRAL (Covers Nyeri, Kiambu, Muranga, Nyandarua and Kirinyaga counties)
Mr. Amos Warui
Central Regional Office
Regional Coordinators Office Nyeri, Block A, Ground Floor, Room 11
P.O. Box 948-10100 Nyeri
+254 110003914, 0202649720
COAST (Covers Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale, Taita Taveta, Tana River and Lamu counties)
Mr. George Karisa
Coast Regional Office
NSSF House, Northern Wing, 9th Floor, Social Security House, Nkuruma Road, Mombasa
+254 702-094901, 020-2610155
NORTH RIFT (Covers Uasin Gishu, Nandi, Baringo, West Pokot, Turkana, Elgeyo Marakwet and Trans Nzoia counties)
Ms. Eunice Arubia
North Rift Regional Office
KVDA Plaza, 12th Floor P.O. Box 9217 – 30100 Eldoret
+254 772 079 368 / 254 714 493 660
NORTH EASTERN REGION (Covers Garissa, Wajir, and Mandera counties)
Rev. Wangai Gachoka
North-Eastern Regional Office
Regional Coordinators Office, Garissa
+254 720 056 605
EASTERN REGION (Counties covered: Embu, Isiolo, Meru, Tharaka Nithi, Kitui, Machakos, Marsabit and Makueni)
Mr. Alex Njeru
Eastern Regional Office
Regional Coordinators Office, Embu
Ground Floor, Room 140
Was this article helpful?