Beyond basic antivirus setup and usage tips, guarding against riskware depends on smart computer use behaviors.
Generally, you should use a few basic principles when installing or using programs:
- Limit the programs that run with admin-level permissions.
- Read ALL terms of service for programs for legal reasons.
- Eliminate any software that is inhibiting other important software from functioning properly.
- Avoid illegal or explicit downloads on your devices.
Beyond the basics, try out the following tips that could help you get closer to total security:
- Only download programs and mobile apps through official vendors.
- Always read prompts and terms before progressing through any program installer.
- Only keep programs you have authorized for use on your system.
- Limit administrator privileges and other deep system access. On traditional computers, you should avoid running programs as an administrator pro.
- Create and use a secondary non-admin level account for daily use. Only use your primary admin-level account for software installations and other specific uses. Day-to-day use on a non-admin account restricts some exploitable riskware from running, reducing the dangers.
- Avoid software that asks for a lot of permissions — for no valid reason. For example, a weather app might have good reason to request access to your location. However, it probably has no reason to ask you for access to your contacts.
Protect yourself against riskware today — try Kaspersky Total Security.