Register as National Industrial Training Authority (NITA) Registered Training Provider. In 2010, after the promulgation of the new constitution by then-President Mwai Kibaki, many changes took effect in the governance as per the new constitution requirement. In 2011, the Directorate of Industrial Training (DIT) changed to National Industrial Training (NITA) based on the Industrial Training (Amendment) Act of 2011. A Semi-Autonomous Government Agency (SAGA) mandated by the Ministry of Labour. The agency ensures that NITA training provider acquires the internationally recognized skill set in their programs.
National Industrial Training Authority has the vision to be “a self-sustaining lead agency spearheading integrated industrial training for development.” Their mission is to provide, facilitate, promote, regulate, and coordinate integrated industrial tutoring for a globally competitive human resource. Therefore, NITA training providers must align with the vision and goals set by the agency. The goal is to have NITA certified trainers and providers in a conformed labour force in terms of quality service delivery.
There are several requirements that the state corporation looks for before approving a training facility as NITA approved trainers. The requirements also vary depending on how long the facility has operated in administering its programs. Some of the obligations are as follows.
- Functional and operational arrangement requirements.
- General operating and tutoring venue requirements.
- Specific operating and tutoring venue requirements.
- General human resource capacity requirements.
- Requirements for registration of trainers.
- Registration or renewal process.
See Procedure Below
Apply in Person as a Training Provider
- The applicant should fill the Application Form for Registration and Renewal of NITA Registered Training Providers Form NITA/PIT 6.
- The applicant should pay the requisite non-refundable application fee of KShs. 12,000.00. The fees is payable to NITA KCB Account No.1102588075 Industrial Area Branch.
- The applicant is then required to submit the duly filled application form, required documents and payment receipt to the NITA Offices.
- An applicant for registration will be paid an impromptu fact finding visit at the physical premises by an assessment team from NITA.
- Assessment visits will be regulated by the NITA calendar and schedules.
- NITA shall communicate to the applicant in writing on registration status within thirty (30) days of the visit. Registration shall be valid up to 15th of March of the following year.
- An applicant who does not qualify for registration may appeal to the Director General within thirty (30) days of notification at no cost.
- A second appeal will attract a payment of a non-refundable application fee.
- Any subsequent appeal will require the applicant to appear before the Director General’s Committee upon payment of the required non-refundable fee
- The decision of the committee shall be final.
- All appeals shall be made in writing.
- A registered Training Provider shall be required to complete Application Form NITA/PIT6 to renew their registration by 15th March of the following year. Any applicant who fails to renew by this date will be required to apply for registration
Required Documents to register as a Training Provider
- Registration or Incorporation Certificate
- PIN/VAT Certificate
- Memorandum & Articles of Association
- Registered Constitution
- NITA Registration Certificate
- NITA payment receipt.
- Registered lease/Sub-lease or Title Deed
- Appointment letter for the Lead trainer
- CV for the Lead trainer
- ID card/Passport for the Lead trainer
- Academic and professional certificates for the Lead trainer
- Appointment letter for all full time resource persons
- CVs for all full time resource persons
- ID cards/Passports for all full time resource persons
- Academic and professional certificates for all full time resource persons
- Contractual agreement for all part time resource persons
- CV for all part time resource persons
- ID cards/Passports for all part time resource persons
- Academic and professional certificates for all part time resource persons
- Work permit documents for any foreign resource person
- Institution’s training profile
- Support documents for past training
NITA Office Locations & Contacts
National Industrial Training Authority (NITA)
Commercial Street, Industrial Area Nairobi
P.O. Box 74494-00200
Mobile No: +254-720-917897, +254-736-290676, +254-772-212488
Website: NITA Website
Eligibility for Training Provider in Kenya
- The business/organization must be locally registered or incorporated.
- If registered under the Business Name Act (Cap 499), the name must reflect the training functions and the physical address on the certificate must tally with the application form.
- If incorporated under the Company Act (Cap 486), the Memorandum & Articles of Association should explicitly state training as a core business.
- If registered under any other Act, the Constitution must reflect training as one of its aims and objectives and must establish and incorporate a training entity with its own fulltime Chief Trainer and resource persons.
- Organizations established by an Act of Parliament for purposes other than training but mandated to carry out training must establish and incorporate a training entity
- The entity should have its own full-time Chief Trainer and resource persons
- A non-refundable application fee of KShs. 12,000.00 is charged for each category for new applicants.
- The fees is payable to NITA KCB Account No.1102588075 Industrial Area Branch.
Documents to Use in application as a Training Provider
Processing Time for application as a Training Provider
Instructions to apply
- The applicant should read the Registration and Renewal Guidelines and the accompanying Code of Conduct before filling this application form.
- One should fill a separate form for each category of training you applied For
- Incomplete form shall not be processed.
- You should submit the relevant original documents and their copies for certification as true copies of the originals by NITA.
- Type of application
- Category of training applied for
- Particulars of the Organization (Name, Certificate Number, PIN Number, VAT number)
- Physical Address (County, Road/ Street, Building/Floor, Tenancy Period)
- Contact Address (Postal, Telephone, Fax, Email, Website)
- Proprietor(s) Particulars (Name ,Nationality, PIN number)
- Lead Trainer’s particulars ( Name, ID Number, Qualifications, Years of relevant experience)
- Full-Time Resource Persons particulars ( Name, ID Number, Qualifications)
- Part-Time Resource Persons particulars ( Name, ID Number, Qualifications)
- Types of Courses offered (course title ,Target group)
- Training conducted within the last two years (Course Title, Client, Dates, Venue ,Contact Person)
Need for the Document
- The registration is a quality assurance process conducted by the NITA indicating that a Training Provider is capable of providing high quality training in a sound and safe environment.
- NITA oversees the quality assurance of training provided to Industrial Training Levy contributing employers where such employers may in turn claim reimbursement on approved training costs.
Information which might help
- An applicant must complete NITA/PIT 6 form, attach all the necessary documents and pay the prescribed non-refundable application for renewal fee.
- All documents submitted along with the application form shall be certified by NITA as true copies of originals.
- The business/organization must be locally registered or incorporated.
- Documentary evidence supporting the existence of the applicant’s legal mandate to undertake training is a prerequisite for registration.
- A Training Provider must be open to train for any organization.
- A Training Provider must operate under a single business name.
- A Registered Training Provider who changes any previously submitted particulars must officially communicate such changes to Director General of NITA within thirty (30) days. Any change in premises shall require a fresh inspection of such premises.
- No Training Provider shall be registered if either the Chief Trainer or physical facilities have been used for the registration of another Training Provider
Others related to Training Provider application in Kenya
- FUNCTIONAL AND OPERATIONAL ARRANGEMENT REQUIREMENTS
- The training establishment must have in place evident functional and operational arrangements dedicated towards meeting the training objectives of industry workforce. This should include:
- (a) An operational physical office.
- (b) A separate access where the facility is within a residential premise, it should be separate from the living quarters.
- (c) Relevant tools, equipment, materials and requisite resources.
- (d) Record of past training conducted by the organization within the last two (2) years.
- The training provider shall on application submit the curriculum or course content for courses on offer to NITA indicating the following:
- (a) Target group
- (b) Course outline
- (c) Objective(s)
- (d) Course duration
- (e) Expected outcome