The Samia Clans. Samia speaking people live in Western Kenya and Eastern Uganda. They are composed of several clans and their ancient economic activities include fishing in Lake Victoria and other rivers such as River Sio, crop farming (obulimi), and animal farming (obutuki). The Samia speaking people, as widely known by other tribes, predominantly live in Busia districts (Both in Kenya and Uganda) and speak a dialect similar to the Luhya tribe in Kenya. However, on the Ugandan side there is a slight variation in the dialect spoken by the Samia of Southern Busia on the fringe of Lake Victoria and those of North Busia district closer to Tororo District. The former speak Olusamia while the latter speak Olugwe. The two dialects are difficult to differentiate by non Samia speaking people but easily discernible by the natives. and in Uganda mainly found inbusia and Namayingo district.
They speak Lusamia and occupy Southern Region of Busia District (Busia county), Kenya.
- Moody Awori, Former Kenyan Vice President, veteran politician and business magnate.
- Aggrey Soryoyi Awori – Politician, former International athlete, former parliamentarian and cabinet minister.
- Sam Odaka – Former Foreign Minister of Uganda (1964–1971)
- Benjamin Josses Odoki – Former Chief Justice of the Republic of Uganda, from 2001 until 2013.
- Justice James Ogoola – Lawyer, Judge and Poet. Principal Judge of the High Court of Uganda and a Justice of the COMESA Court of Justice in Lusaka, Zambia.
- Barbara Nekesa Oundo The former State Minister for Karamoja Affairs in the Ugandan Cabinet.
- Professor Fred Wabwire-Mangen – Professor of Epidemiology, Makerere University School of Public Health
Here is a List of The Samia Clans
The clans of the Samia of include the