Objectives and Functions of the National Police Service in Kenya. The creation of the National Police Service is provided for by the Constitution, the National Police Service Act 2011 and the National Police Service Commission Act 2011.
In accordance with the provisions, the National Police Service consists of:
1. The Kenya Police Service,
2. The Administrative Police Service and
3. The Directorate Criminal Investigation.
The National Police Service is under the independent command of the Inspector General. Mr Hilary Nzioki Mutyambai, nsc(AU).
The Kenya Police Service(KPS), the Administrative Police Service(APS) and the Directorate of Criminal Investigation(DCI) are each headed by a Deputy Inspector General. The current Deputy Inspector General of the KPS is Mr. Edward N. Mbugua CBS, MBS,OGW, ndc(K) Mr. Noor Y. Gabow EBS,OGW, is the Deputy Inspector General for the APS and Mr. George Kinoti , CBS, is the serving Director of the DCI
Objectives and Functions of the National Police Service
According to Article 244 of the Constitution, the NPS shall:
• Strive for the highest standards of professionalism and discipline among its members
• Prevent corruption and promote and practice transparency and accountability
• Comply with constitution standards of human rights and fundamental freedoms
• Train staff to the highest possible standards of
iii. Respect for human rights
iv. Fundamental freedoms and dignity
v. Foster and promote relationships with the broader society
Office of the Inspector General
Taifa Road, Jogoo House “A” 4th Floor
P.O Box 44249-00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Telegraphic address: “IG,NPS”
Tel:+254 20 2221969
Background & Functions
By Super User Container: Nationalpolice.go.ke Year: 2011 URL: https://www.nationalpolice.go.ke/pages/search.html
Was this article helpful?