Nyeri High School, also known as Nyeri High, is a boys boarding school situated in Nyeri, Kenya near Mathari Consolata Mission Hospital, which provides secondary education as stipulated by the 8-4-4 Curriculum. Despite being acknowledged as an academic giant in the region, the school has also developed a notoriety for student unrest culminating in the death of four school prefects in a fire caused by student arson and followed a few years later by a student strike that led to an official government inquiry into the running of the school. In 2006, Nyeri High School was ranked 22nd best high school in Kenya based on Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education results.
The present Nyeri High school was founded in 1907 as a primary school together with the neighbouring St. Paul Seminary and the Mathari Mission Hospital by the Consolata Missionary Sisters on a parcel of land acquired from a local chief a few years earlier. In the 1930s the school began offering K.A.P.E certificates and by the time Kenya gained its political independence in 1963, had developed into a full high school offering both O-Level and A-Level certificates.
- Reagan Orina Momanyi, President Student Union of Egerton University 2018. Politician from Nyamira County.
- Kijana Steve Maina Nderi, Party Leader, Empowerment and Liberation Party, ELP.
- Mwai Kibaki, President of the Republic of Kenya, Member of Parliament, Othaya Constituency
- Joseph J. Kamotho, former Member of Parliament for Mathioya and Former Minister of Education
- (Lt) John Njoroge Michuki, Minister for Environment, Republic of Kenya, Member of Parliament, Kangema Constituency
- Karega Mutahi, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Local Government
- Gitonga Muchiri
- Bonaya Godana, former Member of Parliament for North Horr,
- Koigi Wamwere, former Member of parliament for Nakuru North (formerly Subukia)
- Musikari Kombo, nominated Member of Parliament
- James Wagema Ruitha, Managing Director, National Housing Corporation (NHC)
- Andrew Karuga Maina, Managing Director, HISTOTO LIMITED
- Charles mutua mulwa, Lecturer, Kenyatta University
- Peter Ndiang’ui, Country Manager, OLX
- Babu muraya, Country Manager, Tuk Tuk Media
- James Kigwa Maina, current school principal
- Ngunjiri Martin Deric Wambugu, current Member of Parliament (MP), Nyeri Town
Was this article helpful?