Nairobi Expressway Toll Rates. JKIA–Westlands Highway, also known as the Nairobi Expressway, is a planned toll road in Kenya, connecting Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to the neighborhood of Rironi, in Kiambu County, along the Nairobi-Limuru Road.
The elevated road, built at a whopping cost of Ksh88 billion, is expected to ease traffic, especially along the busy Mombasa Road, and link Westlands to the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA).
To use the road, motorists will have to register access to the Manual Toll Card (MTC) and Electronic Toll Card (ETC) as an alternative to the cash mode of payment. At the moment, mobile money payments are not allowed.
The road starts at Mlolongo area and links up via an interchange with Airport South road of Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, along the Nairobi-Mombasa Road. The highway continues along the existing roadway to the Likoni Road Junction, a distance of approximately 12 kilometres (7 mi).
From the Likoni Road junction, the toll highway continues northwards to the James Gichuru Road junction, a distance of approximately 12.5 kilometres (8 mi). From there, the road continues for approximately 25 kilometres (16 mi) to Rironi, along the Nairobi–Nakuru Road, where the toll highway ends. The total length of the toll highway is about 50 kilometres (31 mi).
“There are a total of 11 toll stations and 27 toll plazas. The difference between the two is that the plaza comprises the entrance and exit routes while the stations encompass the two,” the official stated.
How You Will Access The Nairobi Expressway
Motorists who intend to use the Nairobi Expressway will be required to register with the company that will run it.
To register with Moja Expressway you will be required to physically visit Nairobi Expressway Plaza Service Centre on Mombasa Road, opposite General Motors.
At the service centre, you will prove ownership of the vehicle and also subscribe to a mode of payment that you will be using to make payment for using the expressway.
There are three modes of payment; the Manual Toll Collection (MTC) card, the Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) service and cash.
Nairobi Expressway: How to apply for a Manual Toll Collection (MTC) card
A manual Toll Collection (MTC) card can be loaded with toll points used to pay toll fees at Toll Stations on the expressway.
- Visit the service centre at Nairobi Expressway Plaza
- Fill in the MTC Card Subscriber Registration form
- Present the required documents ID/Passport and Logbook
- Pay a service charge of Ksh.300
- Purchase toll points and activate your MTC card
- Load toll points into your MTC card.
NOTE: Minimum purchase of Toll Points is Ksh.1,000 with a validity of one year.
Nairobi Expressway: How to apply for the Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) service
ETC allows toll points to be electronically deducted through the pre-installed On-Board Unit (OBU) device offering a non-stop road service.
- Visit the service centre at Nairobi Expressway Plaza
- Fill in the Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) service subscriber registration form
- Present the required documents (ID/Passport and Logbook)
- Pay a service charge of Ksh.1,000.
- Install and activate your OBU device that will be mounted on your vehicle
- Purchase toll points
- Load toll points into your OBU device
NOTE: Minimum purchase amount of toll points is Ksh.2,000 and with a validity of one year.
List of all Nairobi Expressway Toll Stations
It consists of one toll station that serves as both the entrance and exit route. Motorists can access the station through Waiyaki Way, Westlands as well as exit to ABC Place and St Austin Catholic Church.
The facility consists of one plaza that serves as an entrance from The Mall, opposite the One Africa Place Building. There is no exit point.
NB: The exit route joining the Thika Superhighway will not be open to the public.
The Haile Selassie route has three plazas (Two entry points and an exit) whereby motorists can either join or exit the road from the Bunyala roundabout. This enables easier access to Upper Hill. Further, an entry point is placed from the Central Business District (CBD).
Along the Mombasa road stretch, motorists can join the road from two entry points; CID and Tata Motors. Along the stations are two exit routes; one heading to South B and the other to South C along Bellevue.
This consists of two stations and four plazas:
One station serves as an entrance from Cabanas Bus Stop and exit to Outering Road.
The second station serves as an entrance from Saj Ceramics and exit to Nairobi Expressway Plaza
JKIA (Two plazas; entry and exit point)
Those using the Expressway to access the airport can use the road’s exit point. Motorists can also exit the airport and access the road through an entry point located a few metres from Gateway Mall.
Standard Gauge Railway (SGR)
The SGR route consists of two plazas; an entrance from SGR and an exit to SGR just beside Kapa Oil Refineries.
There is an entrance from AIC Kasina Church and an exit to Great Wall, just right next to the Mlolongo Footbridge.
This consists of one toll station that has an entrance and exit from Athi River while heading to Machakos.
Here are the Nairobi Expressway Toll Rates
To access the road, motorists are required to physically register at the Nairobi Expressway Service Center on Mombasa Road at Cabanas.
Saloon cars using the expressway from Mlolongo to the James Gichuru exit in Westlands will now pay Sh360, up from Sh310.
Here are the new Nairobi Expressway Toll charges:
- James Gichuru to JKIA and Eastern bypass -360
- James Gichuru to Southern bypass -240
- James Gichuru to Capital Centre and Haile Selassie Avenue -180
- James Gichuru to Museum Hill -120
- Westlands to JKIA -300
- Westlands to Easter Bypass -240
- Westlands to Southern Bypass and Capital Centre -180
- Westlands to Museum Hill and Haile Selassie -120
- Museum Hill to JKIA and Eastern Bypass-240
- Museum Hill to Southern Bypass -180
- Museum Hill to Capital Centre and Haile Selassie -120
- Haile Selassie to JKIA -240
- Haile Selassie to Eastern Bypass -180
- Haile Selassie to Southern Bypass -120
- Haile Selassie to Capital Centre -120
- Haile Selassie to Museum Hill -120
- Haile Selassie to Westlands -120
- Capital Centre to JKIA -180
- Capital Centre to Eastern Bypass -180
- Capital Centre to Southern Bypass -120
- Capital Centre to Museum Hill -120
- Capital Centre to Westlands -180
- Capital Centre to James Gichuru -180
- Southern Bypass to JKIA -180
- Southern Bypass to Eastern Bypass -120
- Southern Bypass to Capital Centre -120
- Southern Bypass to Museum Hill -180
- Southern Bypass to Westlands -180
- Southern Bypass to James Gichuru -240
- Eastern Bypass to JKIA -120
- Eastern Bypass to Southern Bypass -120
- Eastern Bypass to Capital Centre -180
- Eastern Bypass to Museum Hill -240
- Eastern Bypass to Westlands -240
- Eastern Bypass to James Gichuru -300
- JKIA to Eastern Bypass – 120
- JKIA to Southern Bypass – 180
- JKIA to Capital Centre -180
- JKIA to Museum Hill – 240
- JKIA to Westlands – 300
- JKIA to James Gichuru – 300
- SGR to Eastern Bypass -120
- SGR to Southern Bypass -180
- SGR to Capital Centre -240
- SGR to Museuem Hill -300
- SGR to Capital Westlands -300
- SGR to James Gichuru -300
- Mlolongo to SGR -120
- Mlolongo to Eastern Bypass -180
- Mlolongo to Southern Bypass -240
- Mlolongo to Capital Centre -240
- Mlolongo to Museum Hill -300
- Mlolongo to Westlands -360
- Mlolongo to James Gichuru -360
Moja Expressway, a subsidiary of China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC), will operate the road for 27 years to recoup the money through toll fees.
Headquarters: Barabara Plaza, Block A & C,
Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA),
Off Airport South Road, along Mazao Road.
P.O. BOX 49712-00100 Nairobi.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
REGIONAL OFFICE : Nairobi Region
DIRECTOR’S NAME: Eng. A. Maiteka
OFFICE TEL & EMAIL:Tel: 020-4954800 / 020-2632237/ 020-2642475
P.O.ADDRESS:P.O Box 200-00507 Nairobi.
Director Name: Eng. S. Takoy
Address :P.O.BOX 325 -60300 ISIOLO.
Director Name:Eng J.Kaburia
Address : P.O.BOX 2603 – 90100 MACHAKOS.
Eng. E. Wambua
P.O.BOX 84254 – 80100 MOMBASA.
Customer Service Hotline: Tel: 020-2653702 / 0700344891
Director Name: Eng. F. Oyugah
Address : P.O.BOX 17752-20100 NAKURU.
Director Name: Eng. F. Kipyator
Address : P.O.BOX 2708 ELDORET.
Regional Office: Nyeri
Director’s Name: Eng. F. Kimata
Tel:061-2034419 / 0704000 133
Box Address: P.O.BOX 372 NYERI.
Regional Office: Kisumu
Director’s Name: Eng. C. Makau
Tel:061-2300098 / 0733283167 / 0708711137
Box Address:P.O.BOX 781 -40100 KISUMU
Regional Office: Garissa
Director’s Name: Eng. S. Omuono
Box Address:P.O.BOX 41 – 70100 GARISSA.
Regional Office: Kakamega
Director’s Name:Eng. I.J. Onsongo
Tel:056-2030089 / 0712305770
Box Address:495-50100 kakamega.
Nairobi Expressway Gallery
Was this article helpful?