Both Mesaieed and its industrial area are administered by a subdivision of Qatar Petroleum called “Mesaieed Industry City Management”, which was established in 1996
According to The Centre for Geographic Information Systems of Qatar, the city derives its name from a plant known locally as “sead” which previously grew in bountiful quantities in the area.
Mesaieed was established in 1949 as a tanker terminal by Qatar Petroleum on a previously uninhabited site along the coast. It was chosen by the company because of its proximity to the working population in Doha and Al Wakrah and because of the depth of its waters. It was the only deepwater port in Qatar for more than 20 years
- 1 Sealine Beach Resort, Sealine Beach Rd (19 km south of Mesaieed), ☏ +974 4476 5299, fax: +974 4476 5298. A popular weekend break getaway for visitors from Doha. Day use facilities include pools, watersports, beach volleyball, tennis, and camel and horse riding.
As part of the Qatari government’s National Vision 2030, a $7.4 bn project was launched in 2010 to construct a major port strategically located near Mesaieed Industrial Area’s port. The port, named Hamad Port, became operational in December 2016 and covers an area of 26 square kilometres (10 sq mi)
Tourism in Mesaieed
Tourism is confined to Mesaieed’s desert areas, primarily to the immediate southeast of the city. Beach resorts on Mesaieed’s coast are considered to be among the most important tourist areas in the country. The main tourist resort is Sealine Beach Resort, which has a hotel, villas and water sports facilities.
The sand dunes on the eastern coast are known as ‘singing sands’ because of the sounds they produce.
In 2012, Barwa Group launched a construction project in the southern zone of Mesaieed to establish a large tourist resort over an area of 829 square metres (8,920 sq ft).
Al Afjah Heritage Village is a cultural attraction located on the western boundaries of Mesaieed
Telecommunications in Mesaieed
The Mesaieed central switchboard was completed in 1978 with a capacity of 3,000 lines. According to government statistics, the total number of telephones installed in 1980 was 405. Qatar National Telephone Services carried out substantial development on the telephone system the next year, resulting in a nearly two-fold increase to 808 telephones.
The first roads in Mesaieed were constructed in the late 1940s by Qatar Petroleum. They were paved in 1955. The roads fell into disrepair in the 1960s, and in 1968 the government assumed responsibility for developing the road system from Mesaieed to Al Wakrah. In 1977, a road system scheme was designed by William L. Perreira & Associates and work was commenced the same year by the Public Works Authority.
There is a cheap public bus service from Mesaieed to Al Ghanim Bus Station in Doha within every 30 minutes.
Currently, the elevated Mesaieed Metro Station is under construction, having been launched during Phase 2B. Once completed, it will be part of Doha Metro’s Red Line South.
Mesaieed opened its first government health clinic in late 1975.
The Mesaieed Master Plan was devised in 2006 and its contents guide the city’s development over a 25-year period from 2006 until 2030. It outlines the distribution of land for public and private infrastructure, such as power, petrochemical industries, non-petrochemical industries, residential units, green belts, shipping and waste disposal.
There are five banks active in Mesaieed: Qatar Islamic Bank (QIB), Doha Bank, Qatar National Bank (QNB), Commercial Bank Qatar (CBQ) and The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corp (HSBC). HSBC is located inside a state-of-the-art post office (the second largest in Qatar). The QNB branch, established in 1974, was one of the bank’s first branches inaugurated outside the confines of Doha.
Adjacent to the shopping centre is a large souq or market. There are all sorts of shops in it like textile shops, supermarkets, groceries, hair-cutting saloons, laundry shops, restaurants, cafés and ICT shops.
Sports in Mesaieed
Mesaieed Endurance Track, located in the desert, played host to the endurance riding competition in the 2006 Asian Games. The track was also host to the 2013 CHI Al Shaqab endurance races.
There is a sports complex in Mesaieed which hosts national sports tournaments organized by Qatar Petroleum.
Mesaieed Hockey Club
The MHC was established in Oct 2011 by players from various companies. Since then, the club has taken part in various tournaments organized by the Qatar Hockey Federation (QHF). The club joined the Qatar Hockey League in the 2013 season.
Al Banush Club
Owned by QAFCO, Al Banush Club is used primarily by high-ranking staff members of QAFCO. It is the most sizable club and hosts many recreational facilities such as a main hall, a football ground, tennis and basketball courts, a swimming pool and restaurants. The annual QAFCO flower and vegetable show is held on its football ground. A cricket field is located near the club.
It is owned by QAPCO. Inaugurated in 2013, it is one of the largest clubs in the city. Its facilities include a football field, basketball, tennis, badminton and table tennis facilities, a swimming pool and a bowling arena.
QP Golf Club
QP Golf Club is owned by Qatar Petroleum and was founded in 1951. It accommodates one of the only two golf courses in Qatar, and a swimming pool. The golf course is the oldest in Qatar, dating back to at least 1955. It underwent expansion in 1959
List of schools are located in Mesaieed
- Qafco Norwegian School
- Qafco Primary School
- Mesaieed Independent School for Boys
- Mesaieed Independent School for Girls
- Mesaieed International School, Foundation
- Mesaieed International School, Preparatory
- Mesaieed International School, Primary
- Mesaieed Nursery School
The first time an official government census was conducted was in 1986. According to population estimates, the population in 1953 was no more than 500. This increased to over 2,500 in 1960, after Qatar Petroleum had shifted their headquarters from Dukhan to Mesaieed. Thereafter, the company took initiatives to decrease the population of the city and industrial area, resulting in a population of around 2,000 in 1976. In 1982, the population increased to approximately 5,800 people, of whom 4,900 were employed in industrial services