MCA salary and allowances in Kenya. The salary structure of MCAs, Civil Servants, MPs, Senators, Teachers, and other civil servants in Kenya is determined by the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRS). According to the new salary scales released by the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC), it is expected that a Members of County Assembly earns maximally Ksh 145,000 as basic salary, a figure suggested by the SRC.
Do you know that Members of the County Assembly (MCA) are among the highest-paid politicians in Kenya? The salaries of MCAs are even higher than what doctors and lawyers earn on monthly basis. Apart from the salaries they are paid, MCAs also earn allowances and benefits in excess of Ksh 300,000 per month. According to the Salaries and Remuneration Commission, an MCA is expected to earn nothing less than Ksh Sh123,750 as basic salary but, after factoring in mileage allowances, and other allowances, an MCA takes home Ksh 500,000.
Here is the breakdown of MCA salary and allowances for the year 2022
Monthly airtime—Ksh 5,000
Sitting allowance—Ksh5,000 per session
Monthly mileage allowance—Ksh40,000
Per diem of local and foreign travel-Ksh150,000 per month on average
The MCAs also earn extra money from the tenders they award themselves, most of them have registered companies that are awarded county tenders.
Role Of Members Of The County Assembly (Mcas)
- The MCA maintains close contact with the electorate and consults them on important matters before or under discussion in the County Assembly.
- The MCA present views, opinions, and proposals of the electorate to the County Assembly;
- The MCA attend sessions of the County Assembly and its committees;
- The MCA provides a linkage between the county assembly and the electorate on public service delivery; and
- The MCA extend professional knowledge, experience, or specialized knowledge to an issue for discussion in the County Assembly
- The MCA should not directly or indirectly be involved in the executive functions of the County Government and its administration; or in the delivery of services as if the Member in question were an officer or employee of the County Government
Roles Of The County Assembly
The county assembly is the law-making organ of the county government in Kenya. The county is one of the state organs that have been delegated power by the county government.
There are 47 county assemblies in Kenya and are unique to each of the 47 counties. Before establishing the role of an MCA in Kenya, it is important to be familiar with the role of the County Assembly in Kenya because they represent the MCAs. Below is listed the roles of the County Assembly which includes the following:
- Approving the county government’s expenditure and financial blueprints.
- The county vets and assesses nominees for the appointment of county public offices.
- The county approves loaning’s by the county government.
- Receives and approves plans and policies.
- The county assembly makes by-laws and passing of bills into laws that are necessary for the smooth and effective running of the county government and any other county businesses.
- Oversee the County Executive Committee operations and other Executive organs.
- Exercises oversight over the County Executive Committee and other county executive organs.
- They facilitate public participation and involvement in legislation and other county assembly and its committee’s businesses. This objective is achieved through the organizing of public forums and collecting the electorate’s wishes, views, and opinions by the MCAs.
- The legislative authority of a county is vested in and exercised by, its County Assembly.
Was this article helpful?