List of universities in Mauritania. A government commission has been created concerning Mauritania universities with the aim of reforming the country’s higher education system.
Mauritania universities have been the government’s main focus for a while as the goal is to raise standards across the board in a sector that is widely regarded as having failed to deliver over the past years.
Since 1999, all teaching in the first year of primary school is in Modern Standard Arabic; French is introduced in the second year, and is used to teach all scientific courses. The use of English is increasing.
Mauritania has the University of Nouakchott and other institutions of higher education, but the majority of highly educated Mauritanians have studied outside the country. Public expenditure on education was at 10.1% of 2000–2007 government expenditure
List of universities and colleges in Mauritania
This is a list of colleges and universities of Mauritania.
Université de Nouakchott
Departments include: english geography history Language and Translation philosophy National Languages and Linguistics. View the Université de Nouakchott website
Colleges and universities
In chronological order of foundation:
- National School for Administration – (Ecole Nationale d’Administration, ENA) est 1966, which became the School for Technical Sciences – (Faculté des Sciences Techniques, FST) in 1995
- Mauritanian Institute for Scientific Research – (Institut Mauritanien de Recherche Scientifique, IMRS) est 1974
- Advanced Institute for Islamic Studies and Research – (Institut Supérieur d’Etudes et de Recherche Islamiques, ISERI) 1979
- Institute for Arab and Islamic Sciences 1979
- Advanced Center for Technical Education – (Centre Supérieur d’Enseignement Technique, CSET) 1980
- Nouakchott University (NU) – (Université de Nouakchott) 1981
- School of Law and Economics
- School of Letters and Humanities
- Advanced Scientific Institute – (Institut Supérieur Scientifique, ISS) 1986
- National Institute for Special Medical Studies 1997