Landscape architecture is the design of outdoor areas, landmarks, and structures to achieve environmental, social-behavioural, or aesthetic outcomes. It involves the systematic design and general engineering of various structures for construction and human use, investigation of existing social, ecological, and soil conditions and processes in the landscape, and the design of other interventions that will produce desired outcomes. The scope of the profession is broad and can be subdivided into several sub-categories including professional or licensed landscape architects who are regulated by governmental agencies and possess the expertise to design a wide range of structures and landforms for human use; landscape design which is not a licensed profession; site planning; stormwater management; erosion control; environmental restoration; parks, recreation and urban planning; visual resource management; green infrastructure planning and provision; and private estate and residence landscape master planning and design; all at varying scales of design, planning and management. A practitioner in the profession of landscape architecture may be called a landscape architect, however in jurisdictions where professional licenses are required it is often only those who possess a landscape architect license who can be called a landscape architect. List of the best Landscape architects in the World
Definition of landscape architecture
Landscape architecture is a multi-disciplinary field, incorporating aspects of urban design, architecture, geography, ecology, civil engineering, structural engineering, horticulture, environmental psychology, industrial design, soil sciences, botany, and fine arts. The activities of a landscape architect can range from the creation of public parks and parkways to site planning for campuses and corporate office parks; from the design of residential estates to the design of civil infrastructure; and from the management of large wilderness areas to reclamation of degraded landscapes such as mines or landfills. Landscape architects work on structures and external spaces in the landscape aspect of the design – large or small, urban, suburban and rural, and with “hard” (built) and “soft” (planted) materials, while integrating ecological sustainability. The most valuable contribution can be made at the first stage of a project to generate ideas with technical understanding and creative flair for the design, organization, and use of spaces. The landscape architect can conceive the overall concept and prepare the master plan, from which detailed design drawings and technical specifications are prepared. They can also review proposals to authorize and supervise contracts for the construction work. Other skills include preparing design impact assessments, conducting environmental assessments and audits, and serving as an expert witness at inquiries on land use issues. The majority of their time will most likely be spent inside an office building designing and preparing models for clients
Fields of activity
The variety of the professional tasks that landscape architects collaborate on is very broad, but some examples of project types include:
- Parks of general design and public infrastructure
- Sustainable development
- Stormwater management including rain gardens, green roofs, groundwater recharge, green infrastructure, and constructed wetlands.
- Landscape design for educational function and site design for public institutions and government facilities
- Parks, botanical gardens, arboretums, greenways, and nature preserves
- Recreation facilities, such as playgrounds, golf courses, theme parks and sports facilities
- Housing areas, industrial parks and commercial developments
- Estate and residence landscape planning and design
- Landscaping and accents on highways, transportation structures, bridges, and transit corridors
- Contributions to urban design, town and city squares, waterfronts, pedestrian schemes
- Natural park, tourist destination, and recreating historical landscapes, and historic garden appraisal and conservation studies
- Reservoirs, dams, power stations, reclamation of extractive industry applications or major industrial projects and mitigation
- Environmental assessment and landscape assessment, planning advice and land management proposals.
- Coastal and offshore developments and mitigation
- Ecological design (any aspect of design that minimizes environmentally destructive impacts by integrating itself with natural processes and sustainability)
Landscape managers use their knowledge of landscape processes to advise on the long-term care and development of the landscape. They often work in forestry, nature conservation and agriculture
This is a List of the best Landscape architects in the World
107 SE Washington Street, Suite 228
97214 Portland Oregon U.S.A.
3D Design Studio
529 Barron Boulevard
60030 Grayslake Illinois U.S.A.
A & K Land Planning & Design Inc
1008 Durbin Parke Drive
32259 Jacksonville Florida U.S.A.
A Dye Design
130 East Missouri Avenue Ste 210
85012 Phoenix Arizona U.S.A.
A Grant Thornbrough & Associates
132 North Swinton Avenue
33444 Delray Beach Florida U.S.A.
A Visual Advantage
6882 Highland Road
95746 Granite Bay California U.S.A.
A Visual Advantage
6882 Highlands Road
95650 Loomis California U.S.A.
690 Valley Industrial Circle
55379 Shakopee Minnesota U.S.A.
A. Gail Boorman & Associates
1100 5th Avenue South Suite 201
34102 Naples Florida U.S.A.
A. Shiling Ltd.
31 HaYetzira Street
Ramat Gan Tel Aviv District Israel
A. Tuvsjøen Anleggsgartner AS
3531 Hole Buskerud Norway
A.K. Young & Associates
4111 Marathon Boulevard
78756 Austin Texas U.S.A.
Abbey Associates Inc. Landscape Architects
10508 North Glenstone Suite 100
70810 Baton Rouge Louisiana U.S.A.
Abey Arnold Associates Inc.
875 4th Street Ste5
94901 San Rafael California U.S.A.
ACLA Private Limited
40B Hongkong Street
059679 Singapore Singapore
Adesso Design Inc.
218 Locke Street South
L8P 4B4 Hamilton Ontario Canada
10/F, Bangkok Bank Building, 18 Bonham Strand West Hong Kong
Hong Kong China
Adler & Olesch Landschaftsarchitekten BDLA und Ingenieure
90402 Nuremberg Bavaria Germany
ADP Fluor Daniel
2929 North Central Avenue 19th Floor
85012 Phoenix Arizona U.S.A.
Was this article helpful?