This is a comprehensive list of secondary schools in Mombasa county. Located in coastal Kenya, Mombasa county produces some of the best students countrywide in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examinations.
While doing form one selection, candidates are expected to select a total of 11 secondary schools. i.e four national schools, three extra-county schools, two county schools and two sub-county schools. Candidates with special needs can pick one more school from the list of special/integrated institutions.
However there are some National schools that give priority to children from needy backgrounds such as Starehe Boys Centre and School, Starehe Girls Centre and School, Utumishi Academy, Moi Forces Academy (Nairobi) and Moi Forces Academy (Lanet).
Extra-County schools are boarding institutions that admit 60% of their candidates from the host county, while County schools select all their candidates from the host county.Sub-county schools admit day scholars and admission is done only for students from the host sub-county.
How to Confirm Form One Selection via SMS
One can check the secondary school they have been selected to join by sending an SMS with the candidate’s Index Number to 22263 from any network. Cost of the SMS is Ksh. 25.
Form one admission letters are posted on the Ministry of Education website and one can download by following the procedure below.
-Visit the Ministry of Education Website: https://www.education.go.ke/
-Select the county and sub-county where the candidate sat for the KCPE Exam.
-Enter your KCPE index number
-Click on submit
-Click on the admission letter at the bottom of the page to download and print
Education System in Kenya
Since 1985, Kenya has adopted the 8-4-4 system of education, which included 8 years of primary education, 4 years of secondary education and 4 years of University education. At the end of the primary education, candidates sit for ‘Kenya Certificate of Primary Education’ while at the end of the secondary education, candidates sit for ‘Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education’.
(CBC) Competency Based Curriculum (2-6-3-3)
In the year 2017, Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) introduced a new system of education referred to as Competency Based curriculum (CBC) to replace the 8-4-4 system, a system that is slowly being implemented. The CBC has been organized in three levels: Early years education, middle school education, and senior school. Learners in the new education system(CBC) will take 2 years in Pre-primary, 6 years in primary (Grade 1-6), 3 years in junior secondary (Grade 7,8,9) 3 years in senior secondary (grade 10,11,12) and 3 years in university.
CBC emphasizes on 7 major competencies which include: communication and collaboration, critical thinking and problem-solving, creativity and imagination, citizenship, digital literacy, learning to learn and self-efficacy. In the CBC system of education, Learners are assessed based on Meeting Expectations (ME), Approaching Expectations (AE) and Below Expectations (BE).The 8-4-4 system was more teacher-centered while the CBC system is more learner centered.
Secondary Schools in Mombasa County
CODE NAME OF SCHOOL CATEGORY SUB‐COUNTY BOYS
03100001 03100001 MAMA NGINA GIRLS NATIONAL
03100007 03100007 SHIMO‐LA‐TEWA SCHOOL NATIONAL
03106101 03106101 ALLIDINA VISRAM HIGH SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03106102 03106102 KHAMIS SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03106103 03106103 TUDOR DAY SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03106104 03106104 COAST GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03106105 03106105 STAR OF THE SEA HIGH SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03106107 03106107 SACRED HEART HIGH SCHOOL, MOMBASA SUB‐COUNTY
03106116 03106116 SERANI SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03106118 03106118 SHARIFF NASSIR GIRLS SUB‐COUNTY
03106121 03106121 MBARAKI GIRLS SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03106122 03106122 TONONOKA SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03106124 03106124 ALFARSY GIRLS SEC.SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03106125 03106125 MVITA BOYS SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03108101 03108101 MOI FORCES ACADEMY‐MOMBASA SUB‐COUNTY
03108103 03108103 MTONGWE GIRLS SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03108104 03108104 SHIKAADABU SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03108201 03108201 LIKONI SEC. SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03108208 03108208 LIKONI MIXED HIGH SUB‐COUNTY
03108209 03108209 PUMA SEC SUB‐COUNTY
03108211 03108211 MRIMA MIXED DAY SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03120101 03120101 CHANGAMWE SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03120102 03120102 ST. CHARLES LWANGA SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03120201 03120201 KAJEMBE HIGH SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03120203 03120203 MIRITINI SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03121105 03121105 M.S.S FOR THE PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED SUB‐COUNTY
03121109 03121109 MAWENI MIXED SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03121204 03121204 MWAKIRUNGE SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03121216 03121216 MTOPANGA MIXED SECONDARY SCHOOL SUB‐COUNTY
03912102 03912102 KISAUNI SHANZU T.T.C PRIVATE SUB‐COUNTY
Here is list of best boys schondary schools.
- 3106133 – Makupa Boys Secondary School– Boys
- 3106125 – Mvita Boys Secondary School– Boys
- 3106122 – Tononoka Secondary School– Boys
- 3106116 – Serani Secondary School – Boys
- 3106101 – Allidina Visram High School– Boys
- 3106102 – Khamis Secondary School – Boys
- 3106103 – Tudor Day Secondary School– Boys
The county also hosts best girls secondary schools that have contributed positively to girl child education.
Here is a list best girls schools and their codes in Mombasa county
- 3108103 –Mtongwe Girls Secondary School – Girls
- 3106118 – Shariff Nassir Girls – Girls
- 3106121 – Mbaraki Girls Secondary Schoo l-Girls
- 3106124 – Alfarsy Girls Sec.School – Girls
- 3121220 – Hassan Joho Girls’ Secondary School– Girls
- 3106132 – Makande Girls Secondary School– Girls
- 3106104 – Coast Girls High School– Girls
- 3106105 – Star Of The Sea High School – Girls
Here is a list of mixed secondary schools and their codes in Mombasa county
- 3106107 – Sacred Heart High School, Mombasa – Mixed
- 3108101 – Moi Forces Academy-Mombasa-Mixed
- 3108104 – Shikaadabu Secondary School – Mixed
- 3108201 – Likoni secondary. School– Mixed
- 3108208 – Likoni Mixed High– Mixed
- 3108209 – Puma Secondary School – Mixed
- 3108211 – Mrima Mixed Day Secondary School – Mixed
- 3108217 – Bububu Boys Secondary – Mixed
- 3120101 – Changamwe Secondary School – Mixed
- 3120102 – Charles lwanga secondary school– Mixed
- 3120117 – Mwijabu Secondary School – Mixed
- 3120118 – Chaani Secondary School – Mixed
- 3120201 – Kajembe High School – Mixed
- 3120203 –Miritini Secondary School – Mixed
- 3121105 – M.S.S For The Physically Handicapped – Boys
- 3121109 – Maweni Mixed Secondary School – Mixed
- 3121204 – Mwakirunge Secondary School – Mixed
- 3121216 – Mtopanga Mixed Secondary School – Mixed
- 3121202 – kisauni Shazu T.T.Private
Was this article helpful?