This is a list of all public libraries in Malta and Gozo by locality. A library is a collection of materials, books or media that are easily accessible for use and not just for display purposes. It is responsible for housing updated information in order to meet the user’s needs on a daily basis. A Library provides physical (hard copies documents) or digital access (soft copies) materials, and may be a physical location or a virtual space, or both. A library’s collection can include printed materials and other physical resources in many formats such as DVDs, CDs and Cassette as well as access to information, music or other content held on bibliographic databases.
A library, which may vary widely in size, may be organized for use and maintained by a public body such as a government, an institution/ schools, a corporation, or a private individual. In addition to providing materials, libraries also provide the services of librarians who are trained and experts at finding, selecting, circulating and organizing information and at interpreting information needs, navigating and analyzing very large amounts of information with a variety of resources. Hence, librarians go an extra mile to meet the user’s need by ensuring that their users are satisfied with the information provided. A Librarian is one person who is expected to be very vibrant and innovative especially in this digital world.
Library buildings often provide quiet and conducive areas for studying, as well as common areas for group study and collaboration, and may provide public facilities for access to their electronic resources for instance Computers and Desktop and access to the Internet. The library’s clientele and therefore the services offered vary depending on its type: users of a public library have different needs from those of a special library, for example. Libraries may also be community hubs, where programs are delivered and people engage in lifelong learning. Modern libraries extend their services beyond the physical walls of a building by providing material accessible by electronic means, including from home via the Internet. Hence managing information in an information world has become very easy simply because information can be provided or being accessed virtually by people who are in remote areas and other places away from the Library.
The services the library offers are variously described as library services, information services, or the combination “library and information services”, although different institutions and sources define such terminology differently.
List of public libraries in Malta
- Attard Public Library, St. Nicholas College, Hal Warda Street, Attard.
- Birgu Public Library, Auberge d’Angleterre, North West Street, Birgu.
- Birkirkara Regional Public Library, B’Kara Civic Centre, T. Fenech Street, Birkirkara.
- Birzebbugia Public Library, St. Benedict College, St. Michael Street, Birżebbuġa.
- Bormla Public Library, Oratory Street, Cospicua.
- Dingli Public Library, St. Nicholas College, Main Street, Dingli.
- Fgura Public Library, St. Thomas More College, Carmel Street, Fgura.
- Gozo General Hospital Library, Tal-Ibraġ, Victoria, Gozo.
- Gudja Public Library, St. Benedict College, St. Mark Streer, Gudja.
- Gzira Public Library, Gzira Boys’ Secondary School, N. Ellul Street, Gżira.
- Għajnsielem Public Library, Anton Cassar Primary School, J.F. de Chambray Street, Għajnsielem, Gozo.
- Għarb Public Library, Għarb Local Council, Visitation Street, Għarb, Gozo.
- Għargħur Public Library, Maria Regina College, St. Bartholomeo Street, Għargħur.
- Għasri Public Library, Għasri Local Council, Dun K. Caruana Street, Għasri, Gozo.
- Għaxaq Public Library, Alley 1, St. Philip Street, Għaxaq.
- Hamrun Public Library, St. George Preca College, Hamrun Primary, G. Pace Street, Ħamrun.
- Kalkara Public Library, St. Michael Street, Kalkara.
- Kerċem Public Library, Peter Paul Grech Primary, Orvieta Square, Kerċem, Gozo.
- Kirkop Public Library, Kirkop Primary, St. Benedict Street, Kirkop.
- Lija Public Library, Lija-Balzan Primary, R. Mifsud Bonnici Street, Lija.
- Luqa Public Library, St. Ignatius College, St. Andrew Street, Luqa.
- Marsa Public Library, Marsa.
- Marsaxlokk Public Library, St. Thomas More College, Arznell Street, Marsaxlokk. Librarian -Carmen Scicluna
- Mellieha Public Library, Mellieha Primary School, New Mill Street, Mellieħa.
- Mgarr Public Library, Mgarr Primary, Fisher Street, Mġarr.
- Mosta Public Library, Mosta Civic Centre, Constitution Street, Mosta.
- Mqabba Public Library, Mqabba Primary, Valletta Road, Mqabba.
- Msida Public Library, Msida Local Council, Menqa Square, Msida.
- Nadur Public Library, Dun Salv Vella Primary School, Race Course Street, Nadur, Gozo.
- Naxxar Public Library, Naxxar Civic Centre, 21 September Avenue, Naxxar.
- Pembroke Public Library, Pembroke Local Council, Pembroke.
- Qala Public Library, Qala Civic Centre, Bishop Buttigieg Street, Qala, Gozo.
- Qormi San Ġorġ Public Library, Qormi St. George’s Primary, F. Maempel Square, Qormi.
- Qormi St. Sebastian’s Regional Library, St. Sebastian’s Primary School, M. Dimech Street, Qormi.
- Qrendi Public Library, Qrendi Primary, Kurat Mizzi Street, Qrendi.
- Rabat Regional Library, Rabat Civic Centre, Rabat.
- Raħal Ġdid Regional Library, Paola Primary, G. D’Amato Street, Paola.
- Safi Public Library, Safi Primary, Dun G. Caruana Street, Safi.
- San Ġiljan Public Library, St. Julian’s Primary, Lapsi Street, San Ġiljan.
- San Ġwann Public Library, San Ġwann Primary, School Street, San Ġwann.
- San Lawrenz Public Library, Dun Salv Portelli Primary School, Our Lady of Sorrows Street, San Lawrenz, Gozo.
- San Pawl il-Baħar Public Library, St. Paul’s Bay Primary, School Street, San Pawl il-Baħar.
- Sannat Public Library, Guze’ Aquilina Primary, Sannat Road, Sannat, Gozo.
- Senglea Public Library, Senglea Civic Centre, 4 September Square, Senglea.
- Siġġiewi Public Library, Siġġiewi Primary, Dr. N. Zammit Street, Siġġiewi.
- Sliema Public Library, Sliema Primary, B. Huber Street, Sliema.
- Sta. Venera Public Library, Boys’ Secondary School, St. Joseph High Road, Santa Venera.
Was this article helpful?