This is a list of libraries in Cuba. There are more than 400 public libraries in Cuba. A library is a collection of materials, books or media that are easily accessible for use and not just for display purposes. It is responsible for housing updated information in order to meet the user’s needs on a daily basis. A Library provides physical (hard copies documents) or digital access (soft copies) materials, and may be a physical location or a virtual space, or both. A library’s collection can include printed materials and other physical resources in many formats such as DVDs, CDs and Cassette as well as access to information, music or other content held on bibliographic databases.
A library, which may vary widely in size, may be organized for use and maintained by a public body such as a government, an institution/ schools, a corporation, or a private individual. In addition to providing materials, libraries also provide the services of librarians who are trained and experts at finding, selecting, circulating and organizing information and at interpreting information needs, navigating and analyzing very large amounts of information with a variety of resources. Hence, librarians go an extra mile to meet the user’s need by ensuring that their users are satisfied with the information provided. A Librarian is one person who is expected to be very vibrant and innovative especially in this digital world.
Library buildings often provide quiet and conducive areas for studying, as well as common areas for group study and collaboration, and may provide public facilities for access to their electronic resources for instance Computers and Desktop and access to the Internet. The library’s clientele and therefore the services offered vary depending on its type: users of a public library have different needs from those of a special library, for example. Libraries may also be community hubs, where programs are delivered and people engage in lifelong learning. Modern libraries extend their services beyond the physical walls of a building by providing material accessible by electronic means, including from home via the Internet. Hence managing information in an information world has become very easy simply because information can be provided or being accessed virtually by people who are in remote areas and other places away from the Library.
The services the library offers are variously described as library services, information services, or the combination “library and information services”, although different institutions and sources define such terminology differently.
Libraries in Cuba
- National Library José Martí
- Municipal Library Alejo Carpentier
- Municipal Library Antonio José Oviedo
- Municipal Library Camilo Cienfuegos
- Municipal Library Hermanos Saíz
- Municipal Library January 28
- Municipal Library Julio Rosas
- Municipal Library Nena Villegas
- Municipal Library Raúl Gómez García
Archives in Cuba
- Archivo Nacional de la República de Cuba in Havana
- Archivo Histórico Provincial de Camagüey
- Archivo Histórico Provincial de Cienfuegos
- Archivo Histórico Provincial de Holguín
- Archivo Histórico Provincial de Las Tunas
- Archivo Histórico Provincial de Matanzas
- Archivo Histórico Provincial de Pinar del Río
- Archivo Histórico Provincial de Sancti Spíritus
- Archivo Histórico Provincial de Villa Clara
- Instituto de Historia de Cuba in Havana
- Biblioteca Nacional Jose Marti Colecciones Especiales in Havana