Public and private libraries in Bangladesh, both physical and electronic. A library is a collection of materials, books or media that are easily accessible for use and not just for display purposes. It is responsible for housing updated information in order to meet the user’s needs on a daily basis. A Library provides physical (hard copies documents) or digital access (soft copies) materials, and may be a physical location or a virtual space, or both. A library’s collection can include printed materials and other physical resources in many formats such as DVDs, CDs and Cassette as well as access to information, music or other content held on bibliographic databases.
A library, which may vary widely in size, may be organized for use and maintained by a public body such as a government, an institution/ schools, a corporation, or a private individual. In addition to providing materials, libraries also provide the services of librarians who are trained and experts at finding, selecting, circulating and organizing information and at interpreting information needs, navigating and analyzing very large amounts of information with a variety of resources. Hence, librarians go an extra mile to meet the user’s need by ensuring that their users are satisfied with the information provided. A Librarian is one person who is expected to be very vibrant and innovative especially in this digital world.
Library buildings often provide quiet and conducive areas for studying, as well as common areas for group study and collaboration, and may provide public facilities for access to their electronic resources for instance Computers and Desktop and access to the Internet. The library’s clientele and therefore the services offered vary depending on its type: users of a public library have different needs from those of a special library, for example. Libraries may also be community hubs, where programs are delivered and people engage in lifelong learning. Modern libraries extend their services beyond the physical walls of a building by providing material accessible by electronic means, including from home via the Internet. Hence managing information in an information world has become very easy simply because information can be provided or being accessed virtually by people who are in remote areas and other places away from the Library.
The services the library offers are variously described as library services, information services, or the combination “library and information services”, although different institutions and sources define such terminology differently.
Government libraries in Bangladesh
- Prime Minister’s Office Library, Dhaka
- Ministry of Law, Justice, and Parliamentary Affairs Library
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs Library
- Ministry of Labour and Employment Library
- Ministry of Education Library
- Ministry of Agriculture Library
- Ministry of Shipping Library
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Library
- Ministry of Primary and Mass Education Library
- Economic Relations Documentation Centre, Ministry of Finance
- Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission Library
Public university libraries
Private university libraries
- Bir Chandra Ganapathagar, kandirpar, Comilla (Established in 1985)
- Book Centre, Chandpur City (the largest library of Bangladesh)
- Friends Library, Kanungopara, Boalkhali, Chittagong (Since-1902)
- Surdhuni Library, Asad Road, Khalilgonj, Kurigram 5600 (Established in December, 2013;)
- Dania Pathagar, South Dania, Dhaka 1236 (Established in 1989)
- Chandpur Public Library, Chandpur City
- Nayla begum memorial public library, Derai
- Bishwo shahitto kendro Library
- Gonokendor- BRAC Library
- Maruf Sharmeen Smrity Sonstha Library, Zatramura, Rupganj, Narayanganj
- Muslim Institute Library, Mymensingh
- Shudhijon Pathagar, Narayanganj
- Shihipur Public Library, Bogra
- Srisri Pathodyan, 19/50 Rupnagor, Dhaka. Ashraful Alam Siddique. Mob 01711310483
- Killar Andar Islamic Library, Lohagara, Chittagong. Mobile phone- 01835 559712-3
- Woodburn Public Library
- Sylhet Mushtak Chy Public Library
- Durbar Songho Gronthagar, Khalishpur, Khulna
- Surdhuni Library, Asad Road, Khalilgonj, Kurigram 5600 (Government Registered Library, Reg. No. Kuri-48;)
- Bondhon Gronthagar, Mirpur-14,Dhaka-1206.
- MM Hafiz Memorial Public Library, Madaripur 7900.
- District Govt. Public Library, Natore.
- Scientist.Dr. M.A. Wazed Miah Memorial Library, Mohmmadpur Town Hall, Fall market-3rd floor, Dhaka-1207
- Sylhet Mushtak Chy Public Library,
- Shahparan, Sylhet. (Est. 2020) Mobile No. 01761 351000
- Anirban Library (Est. 1990), Mahmudhati, Paikgacha, Khulna 
- Nazrul Public Library, Gopalgonj.