Press Play and Listen to this article on Nyongesa Sande!!
List of Best Ambulance Services In Kenya. Kenya: Ambulance And Emergency Medical Services. Emergency medical services (EMS), also known as ambulance services or paramedic services, are emergency services that provide urgent pre-hospital treatment and stabilisation for serious illness and injuries and transport to definitive care. They may also be known as a first aid squad, FAST squad, emergency squad, ambulance squad, ambulance corps, life squad or by other initialisms such as EMAS or EMARS.
DIAL 999 TO CALL AN AMBULANCE IN KENYA
- But you may want to check out some of these other numbers in our Kenya EMS Coverage Map to have just in case
- Kenyan emergency care has come farther than the majority of African EMS systems, but there’s still a long ways to go
- While St. John Ambulance and the Kenyan Red Cross are recognized providers of emergency medical services in Kenya, “Most patients are transferred to hospitals by private means, for instance by car, truck, or taxi, among others. Few present to emergency centers (ECs) by ambulance (whether truck or aircraft) given their scarcity and the lack of a well-connected, reliable central dispatch system.” (Wachira, 2011)
- The advent of private ambulance services could be helping to off-set the burden of care on public ambulance providers, but could also be taking their only paying customers, too
Here is a list of the best ambulance services in Kenya.
Maasai Lodge Road, Nairobi, Kenya
Critical Care Ambulance Services Limited
Critical Care Ambulance offfers 24/7 ambulance and ACLS ambulances services, emergency rescue, fire protection, safety and first aid service across the country.
Hotline Numbers: 0716 400 500, 0728 918 000, 0735 844 904.
The Karen Hospital
P.O. Box 74240-00200 Langata Road-Karen Nairobi, Kenya, Nairobi
PHONE NUMBER +254206613000
OCOA Ambulance Service
OCOA Ambulance provides quality and timely pre-hospital medical care and ambulance services, ensuring seriously ill and injured patients are stabilized and thereafter treated as quickly as possible.
Contact: 0758 692 000.
City Council Ambulance
City Hall, City Hall Way, P.O. Box: 30108-00100 Nairobi GPO, Nairobi, Kenya
PHONE NUMBER +254-202224281
Josmori Ambulance provides timely medical transportation services with empathy and care across all regions of the country.
Contact: 0700 767 664.
E-Plus Kenya is a subsidiary of Kenya Red Cross Society. They offer professional advanced pre-hospital medical care and ambulance services in Kenya. Ambulance Services In Kenya
Contacts: 0700 395 395, 0738 395 395.
Avenue Rescue Services
Avenue Annex, 1st Parklands Ave, P.O. Box: 45280-00100 Nairobi GPO, Nairobi, Kenya
MOBILE PHONE 0722570711
Sayyida Fatimah Hospital
Sayyida Fatimah Hospital offers round the clock emergency ambulance services with quality emergency care within Mombasa and its environs.
Contact: 0729 410 016.
AMREF Flying Doctors
They are the leading providers of fixed-wing air ambulance services in Africa. They also operate several advanced life support ground ambulances and a 24/7 operations and emergency control centre. Ambulance Services In Kenya
Postal Address : 30125-00100 Nairobi GPO, Nairobi, Kenya
Emergency Number: +254 20 699 2299.
PHONE NUMBER +254-206003269
Ivory Health Solutions
They are principle providers of ground ambulance services in Nairobi County and its environs.
Contacts: 0726 998 880, 0786 998 880.
St John Ambulance Kenya
St John Ambulance offers quality and emergency medical care and ambulance services in all regions in the country.
- St John Ambulance Kisumu – +254-572022860
- St John Ambulance-Coast – Mombasa – +254-412490625
- St John Ambulance Nairobi – +254-20340262
- St John Ambulance – Western – Kakamega – +254-202634365
- St John Ambulance – Rift Valley – Nakuru – +254-512216916
- St John Ambulance – Central – +254-203544030
- St John Ambulance – Upper Eastern -Isiolo- 0713959332
- St John Ambulance – Eastern – Embu – 0717041037
Contacts: 0721 225 285, 0721 611 555.
Intensive Care Air Ambulance Ltd
Wilson Airport Lang’ata Rd, Nairobi, Kenya
PHONE NUMBER +254-206004945
AAR Healthcare offers standby ambulance services across the country.
Contacts: 0725 225 225, 0734 225 225.
Avenue Rescue Services
Avenue Rescue provides affordable and quality EMTS, first aid, medical taxi and ambulance services to patients. They are equipped to quickly respond to emergency cases within Nairobi and Kisumu.
Contacts: 0711 060 000, 0732 175 000.
AMREF (African Medical & Research Foundation) -AMREF SACCO
AMREF KCO Bldg Lang’ata Rd, Nairobi, Kenya
PHONE NUMBER +254-206994684
HOW CAN I CALL AN AMBULANCE IN KENYA?
HOW DO I CALL FOR HELP?
DIAL 999 TO CALL AN AMBULANCE IN KENYA 999 is the toll-free number for emergency services in Kenya, including for ambulance, fire and EMS, according to the government. However, there is no guarantee that calling this number will result in finding rapid access to trained prehospital providers outside of city centers. Please consult our Kenya EMS Coverage Map to find other ambulance providers in your area.
CAN I CALL FOR HELP ANYWHERE?
No. Calling 999 will likely only be possible in Nairobi. See below for other numbers in and out of Nairobi. Regarding public ambulance services: “Among key interviewers, there was discrepancy regarding community awareness of the emergency phone number: Some thought the community was generally aware that a national emergency number was available; others thought that the majority of community members did not have knowledge of this number. Among participants, very few respondents reported an awareness of an emergency phone number. Of those who were aware, the emergency phone number was described as “inefficient,” “never in use,” and “does not go through.” Key interviewers reported that non-government emergency telephone numbers existed often operated by private first response organizations. However, none of the participants were aware of or had used these resources.” (Wesson 2015)
Regarding private ambulance services: According to a presentation by E-Plus, their private ambulance service is accessible by dialing 1199, and currently offers:
- A fleet 0f 128 “ambulances across Kenya in 74 stations
- 116 Basic Life Support (BLS) units
- 12 Advanced Life Support (ALS) units
- Sub-contracting 52 ambulances to 6 counties
On average, E-Plus reports receiving 580 calls per day.
WHAT OTHER EMERGENCY NUMBERS CAN I CALL?
GROUND AMBULANCE IN KENYA
- Ananas Mall: +254 797 106 685
- Juja City Mall: +254 722 745 722
- Official public access numbers:
- AAR Healthcare
- Central: +254 731 191 070
- Donholm: +254 733 881 420
- Embakasi: +254 733 888 259
- Kasarani: +254 731 191 076
- Mountain Mall: +254 733 888 258
- Ngong Road: +254 730 655 000
- Sarit Center: +254 731 191 064
- Avenue Rescue Services: +254 203 743 858
- E-Plus Ambulance: 1199 / +254 700 395 395 or 738 395 395
- E-Plus reports to have “a fleet of 128 ambulances all over the country … spread over 74 stations”
- Precise locations of those ambulances however were not located online, though many are presumed to be housed in Kenyan Red Cross stations given the formal business arrangement between the two providers
- KK Security: +254 203 882 920
- Gateway Mall: +254 730 730 000
- Ngong Road:+254 797 106 676
- Nairobi West Hospital: +254 202 320 705
- Swift Paramedics: 254 722 816 138
- XFOR Security Solutions Ltd: +254 202 009 999
AIR AMBULANCE IN KENYA
NAIROBI (Wilson Airport)
ARE THE RESPONDERS TRAINED?
Though quality of care and training is difficult to determine, Kenya has multiple training centers offering a range of course for multiple types of first responders:
- Prehospital Emergency Care
HOW WILL I BE TRANSPORTED?
“According to the 2004 Service Provision Assessment (SPA), about 9 out of 10 primary hospitals, 6 out of 10 health centres, and very few dispensaries under government management had on-site transport available for emergencies.15 On the other hand, districts reported that close to 86% of the NGO and private health facilities had on-site transport available for emergencies. …To compound the problem only 16% of health facilities across the country have and use referral forms essential to the communication of vital patient information15; half of facilities in Nairobi province have referral forms, in contrast to only 1% of in North Eastern province.” (Wachira, 2012)
WHERE WILL I BE TRANSPORTED TO?
There are 6,600 health facilities across Kenya, 51% of which are in the public sector
HOW WILL I PAY?
St. John Ambulance offers Ambulance Coverage insurance at annual rates (read more here)
E-Plus offers two plans:
- Family membership @kes.6000/per year
- Individual membership @kes.3000/ per year