Climbing to 5,199 meters, Mount Kenya is the second tallest mountain in Africa. MOUNT KENYA NATIONAL PARK & RESERVE. The scenery surrounding this designated World Heritage Site is breath-taking. It is pristine wilderness with lakes, tarns, glaciers, dense forest, mineral springs and a selection of rare and endangered species of animals, high altitude adapted plains game and unique montane and alpine vegetation. Visitors can enjoy mountain climbing, camping and caving with the mountain’s rugged glacier-clad peaks providing the perfect backdrop.
- Include Elephants, tree hyrax, white tailed mongoose, suni, black fronted duiker, mole rat, bushbucks, water buck and Elands. Animals rarely seen include leopard, bongo, giant forest hog .
- Over 130 bird species have been recorded.
Important Information for Visitors
- All visitors should enter the park with a qualified and certified guide. Guides and potters have identification cards issued by the park management.
- Disposable plastic water bottles are not allowed in the park.
- Guides and potters are not allowed to carry luggage that exceed 25KG. Weighing of luggage will be done at the gate on entry.
- All visitors are required to check in and out of the park, this is done by recording personal information in the entry and exit books.
What to take with you
- Drinking water
- Picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight
- Walking boots,
- Warm clothing,
- Training shoes,
- and gaiters.
- Also useful are:
How to get there
- Roads: 175 Kms from Nairobi, the park can be reached on Nanyuki-Isiolo road via Sirimon Track or Nyeri-Nanyuki road near Naro Moru. The park is also reachable via Chogoria on the Embu – Meru road, about 150km north of Nairobi.
- Mountain climbing routes without an official gate include:
- Airstrips: The closest commercial airstrip to the park is at Nanyuki
- Pristine wilderness, lakes, tarns, glaciers and peaks of great beauty, geological variety, forest, mineral springs, rare and endangered species of animals, High altitude adapted plains game, Unique montane and alpine vegetation with 11 species of endemic plants.
KWS Self Catering
Batian Guest House
Mintos Hut & Campsite
Narumoru Gate Campsite
Met Station Campsite
Austrian Hut Campsite
Sirimon Gate Campsite
Liki North Hut 7 Campsite
Park Entry Fee
Mt. Kenya (Day Trip)
Mt. Kenya (3 Day Package)
Mt. Kenya (4 Day Package)
Mt. Kenya (5 Day Package)
Mt. Kenya (6 Day Package)