How can individuals impact federal rules and regulations?. The American public also plays a role in shaping social welfare policy. By lobbying their elected representatives, publicly commenting on proposed regulations, and protesting policies they oppose, American citizens help determine social welfare policy. Here are some ways the general populace can contribute to the social welfare policy process.
- Learn about the federal rule making process and how to make your voice heard.
- Become informed about the social welfare policy issues currently under consideration at the federal level of government.
- Check out the Federal Register, Congress.gov, and/or Regulations.gov for information about proposed rules, changes to existing rules, and instructions on where to send your comments and the deadlines for the public comment period.
- Find your chapter using the state social work association and offer your expertise to help prepare comments on proposed regulations, develop new regulations, or modify existing regulations.
- Participate in the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) advocacy efforts and policy issues.