Hospitals classified under Level 6 hospitals in the Kenyan health system include national referral hospitals and large private teaching / mission (faith-based) hospitals. List of Level 6 Hospitals in Kenya
LEVEL 6 – National Referral Hospitals. In Kenya there are three Teaching and Research referral hospitals: Mathari Hospital, Kenyatta National Hospital, Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital and the National Spinal Injury Referral Hospital. Their range of services is the same as of on Level 5, but they offer specialised treatments to patients and are not only accessed by Kenyans but do serve East Africa and Central Africa.
- Mathari Teaching and Referral Hospital offers specialised mental services.
- Kenyatta National Hospital and Moi Teaching and Referral hospital offer specialised consultations in curative care.
- National Spinal Injury Referral offers specialised services in orthopaedic and spinal injuries.
The national government manages these three hospitals.
Health Care Management by the Kenyan National Government
- The national government is tasked with financing counties for all sectors including the health department to operate effectively and smoothly.
- The National Government is also in charge of Kenya Medical Supplies Agency (KEMSA), National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF), National Quality Control Laboratory (NQCL) and National blood Transfusion Services.
- However, the Health Cabinet Secretary at the national level is the executive head of the sector in the country, deputised by the Principal Secretary as the ministry’s accounting officer, then the Director of Medical Services.
- The Director of Medical Services plays a key role in the sector by coordinating and overseeing six Health departments including Preventive and Promotive Health, Curative and Rehabilitation Services, Standards and Quality Assurance and Regulations.
- Other departments are Health Sector Coordination and inter-governmental control, Administrative Services and Policy, Planning and Health Financing.
- The Health ministry, according to the Constitution, is tasked with coming up with appropriate measures to ensure the sector functions effectively.
- The ministry is linked to Parliament through the National Assembly and Senate’s departmental committees on Health.
- The two committees oversight the ministry and also push its agendas in the House for adoption and enactment after the Presidents signs them into law.
Health Care Management by the Counties
- At the county level, the Health docket is under the Chief Executive Committee (CEC) member, equivalent to a minister, appointed by the governor.
- The Health CEC is answerable to the governor and the County Assembly through its County Executive Health Committee composed of Members of County Assembly (MCAs).
- The Health CEC ensures there is effectiveness and proper coordination in the sector in the manner the County Health Management Team, the County Hospital Management Team, the Sub-County Health Management Team, the Primary Care Facility Management Team and the Community Unit discharge their duties.
- Apart from the public health facilities falling under the county and national governments management, there are also private hospitals run by individuals or organisations and faith-based hospitals in Kenya’s Health sector. Read more on the Health Sector Structure in Kenya
What is a Hospital’s MFL Code?
A Master Facility List (MFL) is a complete listing of all health facilities found in a particular country, including both public and private facilities. Each facility listed on the MFL is assigned a unique identifier code called the MFL Code. The scope of facilities listed are however not limited to hospitals and may also include clinics, laboratories, pharmacies, funeral homes, rehabilitation centres etc.The purpose of the MFL is to act as a central and authoritative repository of information for all facilities found in a country. Some information found in the MFL includes:
- Administrative information of each facility
- Information that identifies each facility
- Contacts of the facility
- The capacity of the facility
- Services offered by the facility
Kenya Master Health Facility List (KMHFL)
Kenya has a MFL called the Kenya Master Health Facility List (KMHFL) which is publicly available on the ministry of health subdomain: http://kmhfl.health.go.ke.
For all hospitals listed on HOSI we include the MFL code for users that wish to access its information on the KMHFL.
To do this, just go to KMHFL Homepage and search this code to find the hospital. In the rare occasion that the search yields no results, please search the hospital name instead.
Information available on the KMHFL for facilities listed include:
- The type of facility e.g.
- Specialized & Tertiary Referral hospitals
- Primary care hospitals
- Secondary care hospitals
- Health Centre
- Medical Clinic
- Farewell Homes
- Kenya Essential Package for Health (KEPH) Levels i.e.
- Level 6 Hospitals
- Level 5 Hospitals
- Level 4 Hospitals
- Level 3 Hospitals
- Level 2 Hospitals
- Level 1 Hospitals
- Facility Owner
- Ministry of Health – Public Hospitals
- Private Practice – Private Hospitals
- Faith-Based Organizations – Mission Hospitals
- Non-Governmental Organizations – NGO Hospitals
- Operation Status
- Bed & Cot Capacity
- Open Hours
- Facility Services
- Regulatory Bodies e.g. KMPDC Regulated Hospitals
- Community Health Units
Here is a List of Best Level 6 Hospitals in Kenya
KENYATTA NATIONAL HOSPITAL
Kenyatta National Hospital is the biggest referral hospital in Kenya, it is located in Upper Hill Nairobi.This was the first referral hospital to be constructed in Kenya followed by Mathari Hospital.
KNH has a bed capacity of over 1,000 and it’s here that almost every emergency cases are attended to. Kenyatta hospital is arguably one of the oldest hospitals in Kenya, founded in 1901. It is a free public hospital in Kenya that offers numerous services. The hospital was named after King George VI of England. After independence, the hospital was renamed after the founding father, Mzee Jomo Kenyatta. Currently, the hospital is the largest teaching and referral hospital in the country. Today, the hospital has a:
- 50 patients ward capacity
- 22 outpatient clinics
- 8 outpatient and 16 specialized theaters
- 21 beds in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
The hospital has a well-equipped accident and emergency department that takes patients during an emergency. This is a place where you find the best doctors in every field of medicine. Patients who are critically ill are referred to Kenyatta National Hospital for specialized treatment.
Kenyatta National Hospital Contacts:
Phone contact:020 2726300
Kenyatta National Hospital Visiting Hours
|Mon – Sun||12:30 – 2:00 pm|
|Mon – Fri||4:30 – 6:00 pm|
|Sat – Sun||4:30 – 5:30 pm|
Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital
Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) is government health facility that was established in 1916. It attained its level 6 referral status in 1998 having served as a District Hospital in the preceding years. The hospital is located in Eldoret Town, Uasin Gishu County along Nandi Road.
- NHIF Code 0017086
- NHIF Code 2 0017733 (Amenity)
Master Facility List (MFL) Code 15204
P.O. Box 3-30100, Eldoret, Kenya. Email: email@example.com Phone: 0722 201277 / 0722097795 / 0734 600461 / 0734 683361 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MTRHofficial/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/MTRHofficial Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/MTRHofficial/ Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9OaD0KSbP0Sp1I_n5EAIEg
Kenyatta University Teaching, Referral & Research Hospital
Kenyatta University Hospital (Kenyatta University Teaching, Referral & Research Hospital (KUTRRH)) is a National Referral Hospital with a 650-bed capacity. The hospital is equipped to offer specialized Oncology, Trauma & Orthopedics, Renal, Accident & Emergency, among other services but the oncology center is its flagship project. The hospital was officially opened by His Excellency President Uhuru Kenyatta on 10th of September 2020 though it had been in operation since October 2019. The hospital is currently constructing an integrated molecular imaging center which should help in the treatment and diagnosis of cancer, one of the major reasons Kenyans travel abroad to seek.
KUTRRH is a National Referral Hospital with a 650-bed capacity that offers specialized Oncology, Trauma & Orthopedics, Renal, Accident & Emergency, among other services. It further offers both outpatient and inpatient services supported by radiology services, 24 bed ICU, 10 bed HDUs which are the highest bed capacities in Kenya and Theatres. It features additional support services and facilities such as a specialist clinics Plaza, Staff Quarters, Academic Block, Laundry & Catering Services, Restaurants, Funeral Home, Oxygen Plant, Water Treatment plant, Helipad, Banks, among others. The growing demand for health care pushed the Kenyan Government to see the need to implement an effective health care system. With this in mind, the Kenyan Government held discussions with a leading Chinese Medical Corporation about the possibility of setting up a state-of-the-art medical facility in Kenya. A follow-up visit by the then Minister for Health, Hon. Charity Ngilu culminated n the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in 2005. A cabinet paper was then prepared and endorsed by Parliament in 2005. The Management of Kenyatta University led by Prof. Olive Mugenda conceptualized the hospital project in 2008 and embarked on writing a proposal for it. The proposed project would have innovative and unique research and treatment centres that would fill the gaps in medical service provision in Kenya. This proposal was presented to the Ministry of Health, appealing for funding to set up a Teaching, Research and Referral Hospital. With the support of the Kenyatta University Council, and the Government of Kenya through various Ministries and their Permanent Secretaries, the idea came to fruition with the signing of an M.O.U on Thursday, 21 April 2011 between the Chinese Government and the Government of Kenya. The then Minister of Finance and currently the President of the Republic of Kenya, H.E. Uhuru Kenyatta signed the M.O.U on behalf of the Government of Kenya, and Mr. Li Changchun, a member of the Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China on behalf of the People’s Republic of China. The signing was witnessed by the former President H.E. Mwai Kibaki at State House Nairobi.
Master Facility List (MFL) Code 24979
Some areas of interest include:
- Public health
- Health management systems
- Sexual & reproductive health
- Paediatric health
- Communicable and non-communicable diseases
- Alternative medicine
Kenyatta University Teaching, Referral & Research Hospital Contacts
P.O Box 7674 – 00100, GPO Nairobi Northern Bypass Rd., Kahawa West, Nairobi +254 710 642513 1558 or 0800 721 038 (Toll free) Int’l: +254 111 138 000 WhatsApp: +254 748 656 297 Referral: 0795 340216 or 0794 589843 Nurse Covering: 0794 896956 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mathari National Teaching & Referral Hospital
Mathari National Teaching and Referral Hospital is the only public (government institution) psychiatric hospital in Kenya. It has capacity for 1500 patients and is located near the slum area of Mathare district of Nairobi.
Mathari National Teaching & Referral Hospital is a Kenya’s only national psychiatric referral hospital that was established in 1901. The hospital offers specialized medical care for psychiatric disorders among other mental health services. The facility is located along Thika Road superhighway bordering the Mathare slums on its south. Mount Kenya University Mathari Hospital was founded in 1910 by the colonial authorities of British Kenya. A smallpox isolation centre was redesigned and became the Nairobi Lunatic Asylum.The facilities were segregated with African patients, who constituted 95% of the patients, being kept in the worst conditions. They lived in very overcrowded bomas, which were the traditional form of housing in Kenya. The facilities provided for Asians were somewhat better with the best conditions being reserved for Europeans. Up until independence all psychiatrists, senior doctors and nurses employed at the hospital were European. Mathari hospital is a specialized National Referral, Training and Research Public Institution in mental health in Kenya. It’s located along west of Nairobi along Nairobi-Thika Road. Mathari hospital, which has a bed capacity of 1500(a third of which are reserved for females), is Kenya’s premier psychiatric hospital, and is the national psychiatric teaching and referral hospital. The institution admits patients with severe psychiatric disorders who cannot afford private services and are considered too disturbed to be managed in other public facilities or in the community. Its catchment area is largely the Nairobi urban area where the facility is located, together with the close rural and urban environs to the city.
Master Facility List (MFL) Code 13076
NHIF Code 8000059 (General Ward
A2 Nairobi, Muthaiga, Along Nairobi Thika Highway +2540202337694 | +254721336017 email@example.com https://matharihospital.go.ke
Mediheal Hospital & Fertility Centre – Eldoret
Mediheal Hospital & Fertility Centre Eldoret is a level 6 private hospital part of the Mediheal group of hospitals which has facilities in Kenya and Rwanda. The hospital was established in 2002 by Dr. S.R Mishra, a renowned gynaecologist and fertility expert.
Mediheal Hospital & Fertility Centre – Eldoret was established in the year 2005 as a leading healthcare provider in East Africa Region with a high focus on quality, cost effective health care services and to provide international standard medical care within reach of every individual. Mediheal Hospital & Fertility Centre – Eldoret provides an attractive and welcoming environment for patients and visitors with modern consulting rooms and in-patient services through which patients benefit from modern healthcare facilities. Mediheal healthcare services have been redesigned around the needs of the patient to enhance the quality of care and speed up diagnosis and treatment. Mediheal Hospital & Fertility Centre is affiliated to more than 250 insurance companies and corporate clients throughout the East African region. We have considerable and commendable experience in the health care industry and we believe we are best equipped to provide quality healthcare services. For Quick Assistance call us:
Eldoret:+254 723 578 895 Nairobi:+254 722 218 416 Nakuru:+254 735 000 735 Eastleigh:+254 781 445 566
National Spinal Injury Referral Hospital
National Spinal Injury Referral Hospital is a level 6 public hospital located in Kilimani, Nairobi along Lenana Road. The hospital specializes in treatment and management of spinal cord injuries. The referral hospital was built in World War II to serve injured soldiers. It was originally known as the Amani Cheshire Home. named for the donor of the original structure.
P.O. Box 20906-00202 NAIROBI Phone: +254 20 2726336 / 020 2726336
Master Facility List (MFL) Code 13194
NHIF Code 8000125
Email Address firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Nationalspinalinjuryhosp21/
Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital
Mama Lucy Kibaki is a district hospital officially opened by His Excellency Mwai Kibaki. It is located along Spine Road in Umoja 3 estate in the hospital in Nairobi, Kenya. The hospital is one of the key government efforts to provide essential health care needs to its citizens. Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital has expanded health services in Kenya, not only to people in the Eastern part of Nairobi County in Kenya, but also to all Kenyans from all over.
Mama Lucy Kibaki continues to extend its operations. Level 6 Hospitals in Kenya. Today, the hospital serves people from eastern regions and all citizens irrespective of their region. Like other government hospitals, Mama Lucy Kibaki seeks to reduce maternal deaths, infant deaths, under-five mortality, and killer diseases in Kenya, such as HIV/AIDS rates. Kangundo Road Umoja 2 | Embakasi West Nairobi Kenya. 0208022676 email@example.com
Nyeri County Referral Hospital
Nyeri County Referral Hospital, previously known as a provincial general hospital, is one of the major hospitals in Kenya. Best Level 6 Hospitals in Kenya. The hospital began as a military facility but today has expanded its operations to serve 10 counties around the region. It has a bed capacity of 270 and 50 cots. Here are services offered at the Nyeri County Referral hospital:
- Outpatient and Casualty
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Mother and Child Health
- Comprehensive Care Clinic (HIV)
- Renal dialysis
- Ear Nose and Throat
- Laboratory services
- Diagnostic and imaging services
Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital
The Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital is a public hospital in Kisii, Kisii County, Kenya. Best Level 6 Hospitals in Kenya. It is the largest hospital in Kisii County and is accredited at Level 6 by the Kenyan Ministry of Health
Kisii Hospital Road State Zip Code Country
0734 749 322
0734 749 322
Coast Provincial General Hospital
This is one of the largest hospitals in the coastal region serving 7 counties. Best Level 6 Hospitals in Kenya. The hospital contributes significantly to the realization of national health goals. Coast General Hospital does this by providing highly specialized quality referral healthcare, research, and training. Here are some services you can get from this hospital:
- Inpatient services include 10 general wards, 3 maternity wards, ICU/HDU, and one 12-bed private amenity wing soon to be opened
- Outpatient services are Consultations, Basic- male and female, Specialized – Pediatric, Medical, and Surgical. Obstetrics/Gynecology, Ear Nose and Throat (ENT), Ophthalmology, Orthopedic, Psychiatry, Cardiothoracic, Oncology.
Mbagathi District Hospital
This hospital offers numerous services to the citizens. Best Level 6 Hospitals in Kenya. Currently, the hospital serves approximately one million Kenyans. Mbagathi Hospital strives to offer exceptional services to its patients at affordable rates. You cannot compare this hospital with other hospitals under the level 5 category. Here are the services you get in this hospital:
- Casualty/Accident & Emergency services
- Inpatient services comprise of: Male: Medical and Surgical, Female: Medical, Surgical, and Ob/Gyn, and Children: Medical, Surgical, and Pre-term
- A laboratory that offers services such as; Hematology, Microbiology and Parasitology, Histology and Cytology, Clinical chemistry, and Special Chemistry
Mbagathi County Hospital also undertakes:
- Disability Assessment Services (Physical, Visual and Hearing)
- Medical Reports for legal and compliance purposes
Ngumo Estate – Off Mbagathi Road P.O. Box 40205
Tel: 020 2728530, 2724712
Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital
Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital (JOOTRH) has been in existence for more than 100 years, having been established in the early 1900s This hospital has been in existence for more than 100 years. The hospital serves 10 counties in the western region. The main goal of JOOTRH is to provide curative, preventive, promotion, and rehabilitative health services. Currently, the hospital has a total of 880 staff: consisting of 492 regular staff, 107 from partners, 140 casual workers, and 141 outsourced services. The hospital offers students an opportunity to explore more about the world of medicine.
Address: Jomo Kenyatta Highway
Kaloleni Kisumu KE, Central, Kenya
Hours: Open 24 hours
Phone: +254 758 721994
Pumwani Maternity Hospital
The Pumwani Maternity Hospital is well known for the provision of exceptional maternity care services in Sub-Saharan Africa. It began as a charitable organization in 1926. Today, the hospital is an obstetric and referral hospital for the delivery of expectant mothers around the country.
Pumwani Maternity Hospital has a 354-bed capacity, 144 baby cots, 3 theatres, and a High Dependency Unit. Due to its reputation, the hospital has a training center for students specializing in nursing and midwifery.
Nakuru Level 6 Hospital
Offers specialized consultations in curative care. The county runs 184 health facilities including dispensaries, health centres, level four hospitals and the Nakuru Level Five Hospital. At Sh 6 billion, the health department in Nakuru got the lion’s share Sh15 billion 2020/2021 budget. NHIF Listed Hospital Offering Dialysis, Radiology (CT Scan and MRI) and Oncology (Cancer Treatment) Best Level 6 Hospitals in Kenya
List of Level 5 Hospitals (County Referral Hospitals) in Kenya 2023
Coast General Hospital Level 5
- Physical Address: Bondeni, Kisauni Road, Mombasa city
- Telephone:0722 207868
- Postal address: P.O Box 90231, 80100-Mombasa
Kisumu Level 5 Hospital (Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital.)
- Physical Address: Kisumu Town East, Kondele area, past Pramukh supermarket
- Postal address: P.O. Box 1818, 40100-Kisumu
- Telephone:0733 888 579/ 057-2020801 /0721-236582
- Email address: Ceo@Jaramogirefferal.Go.Ke
Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital
- Physical Address: Kangundo Rd, Embakasi (Umoja estate), Nairobi
- Postal address: P.O Box 34349-00100 Nairobi
- Telephone: 020-8022676
- Email address: Medsupnedh@Yahoo.Com
Meru Level 5 Hospital
- Physical Address: Imenti North, Meru
- Postal address: P.O Box 8, 60200-Meru
- Telephone:064-32370/0772 207572 /0758 722012
- Email address: Hospitalmeru@Yahoo.Com
Nyeri Level 5 Hospital
- Physical Address: Nyeri Town, Way to Kangemi (Past Nyamachaki primary), Opp. St Mary Boys
- Postal address: P.O. Box 27-10100, Nyeri
- Telephone: 0724 249693/ 061-2030993/0722-338285
- Email address: Pdhnyeri@Yahoo.Com
Garissa Level 5 Hospital
- Physical Address: Along Kismayu Road about 1.5 kilometers from Garissa Town’s CBD
- Postal address: P.O. Box 29,70100-Garissa
- Telephone: 046-2102058
- Email address: Pdhgarissa@Yahoo.Com
Kakamega Level 5 Hospital
- Physical Address: 1 Kilometre from Kakamega Town’s CBD
- Postal address: P.O Box 15, 50100-Kakamega
- Telephone:054-31551/0720-295739/ 0715 671123
Machakos Level 5 Hospital
- Physical Address: Masaku Township, Machakos
- Postal address: P.O Box 1, 90100-Machakos
- Telephone:044 2021685/ 0722313913
- Email: Machakoshospital@Yahoo.Com
- Website: https://www.machakoshospital.org/about-machakos-level-5-hospital/
Othaya Level 5 hospital
- Physical Address: Othaya town, along the Kiria-ini – Othaya road
- Postal address: P. O BOX 83-10106, Othaya
- Telephone:0722 207868
Thika Level 5 Hospital
- Physical Address: Thika Town, General Kago Road, Kamenu
- Postal address: P.O Box 227, 01000 Thika
- Telephone: 067-31693/21621
- Email: Thikahospital@Yahoo.Com
Embu Level 5 Hospital
- Physical Address: Njukiiri, Embu West in Embu County along the Embu-Meru Highway.
- Postal address: P.O. Box 33, 60100-Embu
- Email: Embupgh@Gmail.Com
- Telephone: 068-2231156
RFH, Ruai Family Hospital, Nairobi
- Physical Address: Kangundo Road Nairobi Opp. Ruai Mosque, Nairobi
- Telephone: 0700 773884
- Postal address: P.O Box 21006-00100 Nairobi, Kenya
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nakuru Level 5 Hospital
- Physical Address:London, Nakuru Town West, along the Nakuru-Sigor Road
- Postal address: P.O Box 71- 2 0100 Nakuru
- Telephone: 0721 750460
This article was first published by RoGGKenya Written By Winnie Kamau and Samuel Kisika
Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.
Instagram - @nyongesasande
Twitter - @nyongesasande
Facebook - Nyongesa Sande