His Highness Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani. The Amir is the Head of State. His person shall be inviolable and he must be respected by all. The Amir is the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces. He shall supervise the same with the assistance of the Defense Council, which is set under his direct authority.
The Amir shall represent the State internally and externally and in all international relations.
About HH the Amir Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani
He is the current Amir of the state of Qatar. He became Amir of Qatar on 25th June, 2013.
Date and Birthplace
June 3, 1980, Doha – Qatar.
What are HH the Amir’s Duties towards the state of Qatar?
- Drawing up the general policy of the State with the assistance of the Council of Ministers.
- Ratification and promulgation of laws; and no such law may be issued unless it is ratified by the Amir.
- Summoning the Council of Ministers to convene at any time deemed necessary for public interest; and the Amir shall preside over the meetings of the Council of Ministers that he attends.
- Appointment of civil servants and military personnel and terminating their service in accordance with the law.
- Accrediting the heads of diplomatic and consular missions.
- Granting pardon or commuting penalties in accordance with the law.
- Conferring civilian and military orders and badges of honor in accordance with the law.
- Establishing and regulating ministries and other governmental organs and determining its functions.
- Establishing, organizing, supervising and specifying the functions of the consultative bodies that assist him in directing the high policies of the state.
Head of the Qatari Olympic Committee.
Member of the International Olympic Committee.
Member of the Sports for All Committee, sub-committee of the International Olympic Committee
Head of the Organizing Committee of the ASIAD 2006 Games
Head of the Upper Council of the Environment and Natural Sanctuaries
Participated in a number of regional and international conferences and accompanied HH the Amir to a number of official visits to countries
Became Heir Apparent of State of Qatar on 5th August 2003
Became Amir of Qatar on 25th June 2013
Received the High School Certificate from Shireburn High School in the UK in 1997
Graduated from The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in the UK in 1998
Medals and Honors
- Issa Bin Salman Al Khalifa’s Order of Merit-Excellence Class, Kingdom of Bahrain, 2004
- Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Medal of Honor, UAE, 2004
- OCA Award of Merit, the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA), 2007