Kitui High School is a boys boarding secondary school in Kitui County and the only national boys secondary school in the county. It has a population of 1,200 students. It is located about 2 kilometers from Kitui town along the dusty Kitui-Mbusyani road.
Kitui School began as an intermediate school in 1908 before changing to a boarding school in 1948. The school was by that time known as Campbell Academy. It started offering A-level classes in 1971.
Kitui High School History
The school came into life in 1908 as an intermediate school then later changed to a boarding school in 1948. It was at that time known as Campbell Academy. The school later changed its name and started offering A level classes in the year 1971.
Notable alumni include Willy Mutunga, the retired Chief Justice of Kenya, Kalonzo Musyoka who was the 10th vice president of Kenya, Ngala Mwendwa who was a member of the Kenyan delegation to the 1960 Lancaster House Conference, John Ndirangu, the former Embakasi West MP, George Kenyatta Muumbo, who was a presidential candidate in the Kenyan 2013 general election, Makau Mutua, who is the former Dean of the University of Buffalo Law School, Benjamin Nzimbi, who is a retired Archbishop and primate of the Anglican Church of Kenya, Ngumbau Mulwa, Mumias Sugar Company Limited director and Muthoni Njuki, governor Tharaka Nithi county.
Here are some interesting facts you don’t want to miss;
- School Code:13300007
- Level: Secondary School
- Day/Boarding: Boarding
- Gender: Boys only
- Ownership: Public
- Sponsor: Government of Kenya
- Student Needs: Ordinary
- System: 844
Here are some of the extracurricular activities that students engage in.
- Drama Club
- Debate Club
- Wildlife Club
- Environmental Club
- Journalism Club
- Science Club
- Computer Club
- School leadership through the prefects’ body
- SDA Society
- CU (Christian Union)
- YCS for the Catholics.
Notable alumni and academicians
- Willy Mutunga, Retired Chief Justice of Kenya
- Kalonzo Musyoka, 10th Vice-President of Kenya
- Makau Mutua, Former Dean of the University of Buffalo Law School
- John Ndirangu, Former Embakasi Central MP
- Ngumbau Mulwa, Mumias Sugar Company Limited director
- George Kenyatta Muumbo, Presidential candidate in Kenyan general election, 2013
- Ngala Mwendwa, A member of the Kenyan delegation to the 1960 Lancaster House Conference
- Muthomi Njuki, Governor Tharaka Nithi County and former Chuka-Igambang’ombe MP (taught Biology and coached rugby)
- Benjamin Nzimbi, Retired Archbishop and Primate of the Anglican Church of Kenya
- ^ “Where Dr. Willy Mutunga scored straight ‘As‘“. www.standardmedia.co.ke.
Kitui High School Contacts (Address, Location, Email, Telephone and Website)
School Name: Kitui High School
Physical Location: Along the Kitui-Mbusyani road
Address: P.O. Box 39- 90200, Kitui, Kenya.
School Category: Public
School Code :13300007
Phone Number: 0723636536.
Was this article helpful?