Kenya Post Office Savings Bank, often referred to as Postbank, is a Savings Bank in Kenya. Unlike other commercial banks in Kenya that are licensed and regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya, PostBank is regulated by the Kenya Post Office Savings Bank Act Cap 493B. This gives it a unique feature where interest income earned by depositors is exempt from tax.
Kenya Post Office Savings Bank
|Anne Karanja (Managing Director)
||Checking, Savings, Investments, Debit Cards
||KES:1.9 billion (2009)
||KES:15.4 billion (2009)
History of Kenya Post Office Savings Bank
Postbank was established in 1910, making it possible for Africans to save in the then British East Africa. The accounts in East African rupee. By 1931, the institution offered similar services East Africa and one could use their account from anywhere in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. This continued till the breakup of the East African Community in 1977 after which the Bank focused its attention to the Kenyan market. In 2010, the bank celebrated 100 years of existence showcasing its achievements over the years
The bank is an agent of MoneyGram, Western Union and Ria Money Transfer and offers Banking agency services for NIC Bank Group and Chase Bank
Governance of the bank is vested in the Board of directors and the office of the Managing Director, supported by Directorates and departments. Postbank is committed to the standards of corporate governance as set by the government and the Central Bank of Kenya for the public sector. The Board of Directors is responsible for the long term strategic direction for profitable growth for the bank while being accountable to the shareholder for ensuring that Postbank complies with the law and the highest standards of corporate governance and business ethics. The Kenya Post Office Savings Bank’s registered headquarters is at Postbank House, Banda Street, Nairobi Kenya
Postbank products and services
Although the primary goal of the bank is cash collection services and loan disbursement through Postbank accounts, many other products and services can be associated with Postbank. Regarding loan disbursement and cash collection, the bank assists other institutions and individuals who want money to be collected or disbursed on their behalf from any location in the country. It is usually done for other banks that do not have as many branches and other microfinance institutions. The bank also offers cheque encashment for corporate clients with a large customer base spread all over the country.
Postbank uses its fast cheque banking services and distribution network to satisfy their clients in this respect. The bank has diversified its products and services as a strategy to remain competitive in a market that is flooded by other banks and lending institutions. One of the critical areas is the Postbank Kenya mobile banking that continues to be a frontier for financial institutions. As a result, their products are tailored to meet the specific needs of particular market segments as shown by the products below:
Smata (Junior) account
Step account (Students/youth)
Bidii saving account,
Bidii pension account, and Bidii salary account
Waridi (Women) account
Fixed deposit account
Premium plus/money market investment account
Pamoja (M-Chama) saving account
Postbank visa credit card (Local and international)
M-Sawa mobile account
Mobile and internet banking services
Western Union money transfer
Money Gram money transfer
RIA money transfer Agency/commission-based services: M-Pesa, KPLC and water bills payment
Kenya Post Office Savings Bank Ownership
As of December 2013, Postbank is a fully owned by the Government of Kenya and reports to the National Treasury.
This is a list of all Postbank branches and Locations in Kenya.
- Kenya Post Office Savings Bank Head Office – Location: Postbank House, Market Lane, off Banda Street.
- Postbank Cannon House Branch (Nairobi) Location: Canon House, Haile Selassie Avenue.
- Postbank Ruiru Branch – Location: Finance House, Ruiru.
- Postbank Githurai Branch – Location: Winma plaza, Githurai.
- Postbank Eastleigh Branch – Location: 2nd Avenue, Eastleigh, Nairobi.
- Postbank Kariobangi Branch – Location: Waka House, Juja Road, Outer Ring Roundabout.
- Postbank Kiambu Branch – Location: St James Cathedral, Kiambu.
- Postbank Thika Branch – Location: Nduriri House.
- Postbank Garissa Branch – Location: Garissa Shopping Centre.
- Postbank Matuu Branch – Location: Main Street, Matuu.
- Postbank Mwingi Branch – Location: Along Mwingi-Garissa Road
- Postbank Kawangware Branch – Location: Monicah House, Naivasha Road
- Postbank Kitui Branch – Location: Hospital Road, Kitui.
- Postbank Kangundo Branch – Location: Kangundo Town.
- Postbank Nacico Branch (Nairobi) – Location: Nacico Plaza, Landhies Road.
- Postbank Kerugoya Branch – Location: Kibetu Plaza Building.
- Postbank Embu Branch – Location: Waumini House, Ngara Road.
- Postbank Meru Branch – Location: Lucy Plaza, Meru.
- Postbank Nanyuki Branch – Location: Kiangina Distributors Building.
- Postbank Muranga Branch – Location: Para Singh Building.
- Postbank Nyeri Branch – Location: Kangaru Corner House.
- Postbank Karatina Branch – Location: Karatina Town.
- Postbank Chuka Branch – Location: Rhea Plaza, Chuka Town.
- Postbank Wanguru Branch – Location: Jasper Plaza, Wanguru.
- Postbank Maua Branch – Location: Maua Town.
- Postbank Kenyatta Avenue Branch (Nairobi) – Location: Standard House, Groundfloor.
- Postbank Karen Branch
- Postbank Ngong Branch
- Postbank Machakos Branch – Location: Stone Kathuli, Machakos Town.
- Postbank Ongata Rongai Branch – Location: Kins Arcade
- Postbank Kibwezi Branch – Location: Mbinda Building.
- Postbank Athi River Branch – Location: Old Town, Athi River.
- Postbank Mlolongo Branch – Location: Ndile House.
- Postbank Kajiado Branch – Location: Opposite Municipal Market.
- Postbank Kikuyu Branch – Location: Sisters Building.
- Postbank Ngara Branch – Location: Pioneer House.
- Postbank Westlands Branch – Location: Soin Arcade, Westlands.
- Postbank Emali Branch – Location: Along Mombasa-Nairobi Highway
- Postbank Uthiru Branch – Location: Uthiru Post Office, Nairobi-Naivasha Road.
- Postbank Kitengela Branch – Location: Kitengela Plaza, Namanga Road.
- Postbank Nakuru Branch – Location: Post Bank House, Kenyatta Avenue.
- Postbank Naivasha Branch – Location: Secheki House, Naivasha Road.
- Postbank Narok Branch – Location: Olerorat House.
- Postbank Eldoret Branch – Location: Postbank House, Eldoret.
- Postbank Kapsabet Branch – Location: Koita, Kapsabet.
- Postbank Molo Branch – Location: Maziwa House, Molo.
- Postbank Kabarnet Branch – Location: Mwalimu Plaza.
- Postbank Kericho Branch – Location: Bethany House, Ground floor.
- Postbank Nandi Hills Branch – Location: Market Street, Nandi Town.
- Postbank Kitale Branch – Location: Giang Singh Biashal House.
- Postbank Gilgil Branch – Location: Disney Computers House.
- Postbank Narok Branch – Location: Rorati Building.
- Postbank Nyahururu Branch
- Postbank Lodwar Branch – Location: Lodwar Town.
- Postbank Eldama Ravine Branch
- Postbank Kakamega Branch – Location: Kakamoni House.
- Postbank Bungoma Branch – Location: Beadon House, Moi Avenue.
- Postbank Homa Bay Branch – Location: Luore Plaza, Homabay Town.
- Postbank Busia Branch – Location: Amukura House, Busia Town.
- Postbank Mumias Branch – Location: Mumias Town.
- Postbank Siaya Branch – Location: Siaya Shopping Mall
- Postbank Kisii Branch – Location: Onchoke House
- Postbank Webuye Branch – Location: Jakatha House.
- Postbank Migori Branch – Location: Cool Plaza.
- Postbank Kisumu Branch – Location: Kisumu Town.
- Postbank Luanda Branch – Location: Equator Building.
- Postbank Keroka Branch – Location: Keroka Branch.
- Postbank Kehancha Branch
- Postbank Nyamira Branch – Location: off Kisii-Nyamira Highway.
- Postbank Bondo Branch – Location: Next to total petrol station.
- Postbank Bomet Branch – Location: Main Street Branch.
- Postbank Chaani Branch – Location: Chaani Post Office Building.
- Postbank Ukunda Branch – Location: Siku Njema Plaza.
- Postbank Voi Branch – Location: Sagalla Investment Building.
- Postbank Kilifi Branch – Location: Kilifi Shopping Arcade.
- Postbank Likoni Branch – Location: King Fisher Building.
- Postbank Mombasa Branch – Location: Savani House.
- Postbank Moi Avenue Branch (Mombasa)
- Postbank Malindi Branch – Location: Malindi Business Complex.
- Postbank Mariakani Branch – Location: Mrs.Shariif Building, Mariakani
Postbank Kenya swift code
A swift code, sometimes referred to as a BIC code, is a unique code that is used to identify financial and non-financial institutions. The primary role of a swift code is to be used in the international wire transfers between financial institutions. In the case of Postbank, the swift code is KPOBKEN1XXX. KPOBKEN1 is the code, while XXX denotes the branch Postbank code. KE stands for the parent country, in this case, Kenya, and the N1 is the location code.
|Swift code (8 characters)
||KENYA POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK
||KENYA POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK
Kenya Post Office Savings Bank Contacts
Here are Postbank headquarters contacts:
Physical address: Postbank House Banda Street
Postal address: P. O. Box 30311-00100, Nairobi
Telephone number: 020-2229 551 ,020-2803205
Mobile numbers: +254716918999,734856353
Switchboard numbers: 020 2229551-6
Help desk numbers: 020 2803333 /341/350/248 Fax number: 020-243930
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kenya Post Office Savings Bank.
Postbank House,16 Banda Street,
P.O Box 30311-00100, Nairobi.
Switchboard +254 020 2229551-6
Help Desk +254 020 2803333/341/350/248
Was this article helpful?