MTN MoMo (Mobile Money) customers can now reverse money sent wrongly by initiating a reversal on their own with the new MTN MoMo self-initiated reversal function on the MTN MoMo service menu. MTN Uganda: How to Reverse a Wrong Mobile Money Transfer. This implies that MTN MoMo customers shall now be able to save their money sent wrongly or to the wrong recipients on their own to avoid losing it.
Money sent wrongly has been a pain point to customers and also a high-traffic driver into the MTN call centers and service centers. Name verification was introduced along the way to minimize this risk but it still happens due to various reasons. Now with the MTN MoMo self-reversal feature, customers can simply initiate a reversal in time, by dialing *165*8# yes and select option 7 to initiate a reversal that block their money from getting withdrawn. Thereafter, complete the reversal by contacting the MTN call center on 100. (Detailed guide at the bottom)
Commenting about this first-of-its-kind initiative that was launched last week by MTN MoMo, Richard Yego the MTN MoMo Uganda Ltd Managing Director said that the MTN MoMo self-reversal function was introduced to enable customers save money that has been wrongly sent, in time.
What you need to know:
- MTN Mobile Money (MoMo) Uganda has introduced a new feature that allows MTN MoMo customers to reverse a transaction sent wrongly by initiating a reversal on their own.
- MTN MoMo customers can now save their money that has been sent wrongly by dialing *165*8# yes and select option 7 to initiate a reversal.
- The customer should call 100 to complete the reversal within 6 days of reversing the funds.
- The MTN call center staff will only approve the reversal after talking to both parties to avoid reversing “genuine” transactions.
Method 1: Kola Reverse USSD Code
- Step 1: Dial *165*8#.
- Step 2: Select option 7, Initiate Reversal.
- Step 3: On the Next menu, you will be able to see three recent sending transactions that you made. Go ahead and select the transaction that you want to reverse.
- Step 4: Confirm transaction with MTN MoMo PIN.
- Step 5: You will receive a notification informing you how the money has been blocked on the number you sent it to if the user hasn’t withdrawn it yet.
- Step 6: The wrong number will receive a notification for approval to enter their PIN in order for MTN to return it to you.
- Step 7: Hold on for a few minutes, the money will be reversed to your MTN MoMo account and you receive a confirmatory text once that happens.
NOTE: This can only happen if the owner of the number has agreed to and hasn’t withdrawn the money yet! Otherwise, contact Customer Care for more information and assistance in case the person refuses to approve the return in their mobile money approval list. (*165*8*3*1)
Method 2: Contact MTN Customer Care
STEP 1: First, get in touch with the available MTN Customer care service agent as soon as you notice that you have sent the money to the wrong number. Remember the money can only be recovered if it’s not withdrawn on the other end.
MTN Support Channels
- Call 100
- WhatasApp: 0772123100
- Social Media: facebook.com/mtnug or https://twitter.com/mtnug
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP 2: The Customer Care agent will immediately query the transaction and amount sent to the Wrong number. After an immediate communication, MTN will quickly freeze the money so that it can not be withdrawn.
STEP 3: Subsequently, the MTN customer care agent will engage both parties on a conference call to establish the fact and reach an agreement. If an agreement is reached, the process to return the money to your account will start. The money will be retrieved back to your account within 24 hours. Contact MTN customer care in case of any delays.
STEP 4: However in case of any disagreement between both parties, MTN will abolish the recovery process immediately. At this moment this will be altered as a police case and the sender will need a court order to allow the reversal. Alternatively, if the wrong recipient’s phone is off for 3 consecutive months, MTN will automatically reverse the money to the sender.
Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.
Instagram - @nyongesasande
Twitter - @nyongesasande
Facebook - Nyongesa Sande