Hibernate is a handy feature. Not because it reduces the boot time, but because it saves your active sessions. How to Turn On Hibernate Mode on Your Windows PC. With this, you can power off your system and then get back to where you left off without having to restart everything from scratch. Extremely useful for people who use multiple sets of tools repeatedly every day extensively. It is a safe, clean, and controlled shutdown.
Depending on your laptop’s configuration, the hibernate feature may be disabled on your computer. Go to Start > Power and check if the Hibernate option appears alongside Restart, Shutdown, and Sleep.
How to Turn On Hibernate Mode on Your Windows PC
If not, here is how to enable Hibernate on your Windows computer.
- Press Win + R to open the Run box.
- Type control and click OK to open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, go to System and Security.
- Next, open Power Options.
- In the left pane, click on Choose what the power button does.
- Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Under the Shutdown settings section, select the Hibernate option to turn it on.
- Click Save changes.
Additionally, you can set your laptop to automatically hibernate after a set amount of time. To do this, open Control Panel, and go to System and Security > Power Options; in the left pane, click on Choose when the computer sleeps. Next, click on Change advanced power settings.
In the pop-up window, expand the Sleep section. Then, expand Hibernate After and set a time for on Battery and Plugged-in options. That said, for shorter breaks, it is better to let PC sleep than hibernate.
If the Power option in Control Panel is missing the Hibernate option, you can enable it using the Command Prompt.
To enable Hibernate using command prompt:
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and hit enter:
Powercfg.exe /hibernate on
- Now go to the Power option in Control Panel and enable Hibernate.
Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.
Instagram - @nyongesasande
Twitter - @nyongesasande
Facebook - Nyongesa Sande