If you want to send text messages from your Mac computer, you can use Apple’s Message app. However, you will need your iPhone with you, and you can only send text messages to another iPhone user. How to Text from a Mac Using iMessage. You will receive any replies in the Messages app on your computer.
Here is How to Text from a Mac Using iMessage
Note: In order to use this feature, your Mac has to be running on OS X Yosemite or later. Also, your iPhone will have to be turned on and connected to the same WiFi network.
- On your Mac, open the Messages app. You can find this in your Applications folder, or by hitting the Command + Space Bar keys on your keyboard and typing Messages.Note: If this is your first time using the Messages app, you will be guided through a setup process.
- The click Messages in the Apple Menu Bar and select Preferences. You can find this in the upper-left corner of your screen as long as you are in the application. You can also access the preferences by hitting the Command + Comma keys on your keyboard.
- Next, select the iMessage tab at the top of the window.
- Then sign in with your Apple ID and password and check the box next to “Enable this account.” You will have to use the same Apple ID on your Mac and iPhone to be able to send and receive text messages from your computer.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings. This is the app with the gear-shaped icon.
- Then click Messages.
- Then toggle on iMessage. This is at the top of your screen. You will know it is on if the slider next to it is green.
- Next, tap Text Message Forwarding and choose your Mac computer from the list. If you are not using two-factor authentication, a six-digit confirmation code will pop up on your Mac. Enter this code to confirm that you want to send and receive messages on your Mac.
- On your Mac, click the pencil icon in Messages. This will start a new conversation. Note: If you do not see your Mac in the list, go back to Messages in Settings and tap Send & Receive. Then tap your Apple ID and phone number in the list under “You can receive iMessages to and reply from.” Then repeat the previous step.
- Enter the phone number, name, or Apple ID of the person you want to text. If the recipient is in your contact, you can select their name from the drop-down list.
- Write your message in the field at the bottom of the window.
- Finally, hit enter on your keyboard to send the message.
Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.
Instagram - @nyongesasande
Twitter - @nyongesasande
Facebook - Nyongesa Sande