This article focuses on How to apply for Accreditation as Medical Continuous Development (CPD) Provider in Kenya. Continuing Professional Development is a commitment to ongoing lifelong learning. CPD encourages looking forward and identifying opportunities to learn something new, refresh existing knowledge, improve skills, or simply keep up-to-date with the latest developments within a particular profession or industry.
In practice, CPD can mean everything from taking a training course or attending an educational event, to studying for new qualifications or learning new aspects of a job.
- Accreditation ensures that quality Continuous Professional Development (CPD) is provided by training institutions, it also ensures professional competency at all times as a way of improving patient’s care.
- Quality training leads to broadening of knowledge and skills and enhancement of personal qualities related to continuous improvement in the performance of professional duties.
The KMPDC Board has set out the following requirements to guide the provider in the identification, development, and implementation of CPD activities:
- Be registered online (www.icpdkenya.org) platform.
- Communicate desired to learn outcomes to the target audience.
- Ensure CPD activities are informed by needs assessment findings and approved by the Board.
- Ensure that CPD teaching and learning methodologies selected are suited to achieve desired outcomes.
- Ensure that the course facilitators are selected based on their field of expertise.
- Ensure there are adequate teaching and learning resources to support CPD programs and activities.
- Ensure that time allocated for the CPD activity is adequate.
- Appropriately advertise all CPD activities to increase participation.
- Evaluate CPD activities regularly using standard evaluation tools provided by the Board (CPD III: Training Evaluation Form).
Here is How to apply for Accreditation as Medical Continuous Development (CPD) Provider in Kenya
Apply In Person
- An application to be accredited as Medical Continuous Development (CPD) providers shall be made to the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council’s (KMPDC) offices. Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council’s (KMPDC) Office Location & Contact Details
- Applicant (institutions contact person) should collect and complete Application for Accreditation as a CPD Provider form, available at the KMPDC offices or download it via the KMPDC website KMPDC Downloads, (scroll down the page and then click on the “Other Form” option to locate the form) or directly download it using this Application for Accreditation as a CPD Provider form.
- The application form must be completed by a duly authorized person using BLOCK letters only.
- Submit the supporting documentation as mentioned under the “Required Documents” section of this page, in addition to the duly completed application form, in all respect, to the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council’s (KMPDC) Office. Any omission of the required information or documents will render the application process incomplete.
- The application shall also be accompanied by proof of payment of an application fee of Ksh. 15,000 (Non-refundable). All payments should be made at any KCB Branch countrywide to Board’s account No. 1103158643, Milimani Branch, in favor of the KMPDC.
- Upon receipt of the application, the receiving officers will check for discrepancies or ineligibility in the application documents. If a discrepancy that cannot be immediately corrected exists in any of the documents, the application and all the submitted documents will be returned to the applicant and should not be re-submitted until the discrepancy has been rectified.
- If the receiving officer is satisfied that all the requirements have been met for the application, it is registered for consideration and the applicant is issued with an acknowledgment slip as proof of submission of the application and for inquiry referencing, if the need arises.
- The KMPDC office may request additional information relevant to the application. In such a case, the information must be submitted within the stipulated time from the date of notification. Where the applicant fails to submit the required information, the application shall be rejected.
- KMPDC inspection unit shall arrange with the applicant when the inspection will be carried out on the Health Facility/ institute and the inspection shall be conducted as per the Health Facility Inspection checklist, to determine if they are up to standard to approve the accreditation process. Copies of the Health Facility Inspection checklist can be downloaded from the KMPDC website KMPDC Downloads.
- During the Inspection visit, any discrepancies will be brought to the attention of the applicant and corrective action must be taken before an accreditation certificate is issued.
- Upon successful implementation of any discrepancies noted during the inspection visit, a follow-up inspection may be conducted by the inspection team to ascertain the effectiveness of the implementation (where applicable).
- After the document evaluation and inspection, phases have been completed satisfactorily, which is usually completed within twenty-eight (28) working days, the KMPDC office shall prepare the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) accreditation certificate that shall be valid for three (03) years, which indicates the approval scope and limitations.
- Notice of the decision (Approval, Deferral, or Rejection) for the application will be communicated to the applicant via registered mail or phone.
- Where the KMPDC office is not satisfied that the application meets the requirements for the application, it shall reject the application and notify the applicant thereof in writing, stating the reasons for the rejection.
- While collecting the Continuous Professional Development(CPD) accreditation certificate, the applicant will be required to produce a proof of identity document and acknowledgment receipt to be validated at the KMPDC dispatch office.
- The CPD accreditation certificate shall bear a unique identification number, which should appear on all CPD activity documentation.
- The CPD provider is required to pay annual subscriptions before 31st December of each calendar year and submit the annual calendar of CPD activities for the following year.
Eligibility to apply for accreditation as CPD Providers CPD providers shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Health facilities at national and county levels (public and private)
- Training institutions (middle and tertiary institutions, public and private)
- Recognized regional and international professional bodies such as the Association of Medical Council of Africa (AMCOA) and International Association of Medical Regulatory Authorities (IAMRA)
- Faith-based Health Institutions
- Public benefits organizations (NGOs)
- National Medical and Dental Professional Associations
- Research institutions
- Ministry of Health and related special program divisions
- Others as approved by the Board
- The KMPDC Board will issue special CPD-provider licenses for institutions that do not regularly carry out CPD activities but have an opportunity to offer the same. The categories of providers listed above may partner with other organizations to offer CPD.
- The CPD Certificate of accreditation is valid for three (03) years unless suspended revoked, suspended, or cancelled by the Authority.
- Upon expiry of the 3-year term, the CPD provider is required to apply for renewal of accreditation.
- Late renewal shall attract a penalty as prescribed by the Board.
- Duly completed Application for Accreditation as a CPD Provider form.
- Copy of registration certificates
- Valid identification document (ID card/ passport)
- Provide full disclosure on sponsorship and support.
- Provide a calendar of activities.
- Provide two referees.
- Proof of payment of the requisite application fee Ksh 15,000 (non-refundable)
- Any other documents may be deemed necessary or as may be prescribed by the KMPDC office.
Application fee of Ksh. 15,000 (non-refundable)
Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council’s (KMPDC)
Bank Account Details
Board account at any KCB Branch countrywide, Board’s
Account No. 1103158643, Milimani Branch.
Swift Code: KCBLKKENX,
BANK CODE: 01175.
Office Locations & Contacts
Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council – Head Office
Woodlands Rd, Hurlingham, Nairobi.
P.O. Box 44893 – 00100,
Tel: +254-727666444 | +254-111052222
Make sure to check out our social media to keep track of the latest content.
Instagram - @nyongesasande
Twitter - @nyongesasande
Facebook - Nyongesa Sande