Continuing Professional Development is a commitment to ongoing lifelong learning. In this article let us look at How to apply for Accreditation as Continuous Professional Development (CPD) Provider in Kenya. CPD encourages looking forward and identifying opportunities to learn something new, refresh existing knowledge, improve skills, or simply keep up-to-date with the latest developments within a particular profession or industry.
In practice, CPD can mean everything from taking a training course or attending an educational event, to studying for new qualifications or learning new aspects of a job. Continuous Professional Development(CPD) is defined as training that leads to broadening of knowledge and skills and enhancement of personal qualities related to continuous improvement in the performance of professional duties.
The Board has set out the following requirements to guide the provider in the identification, development and implementation of CPD activities:
- Be registered online (www.icpdkenya.org) platform.
- Communicate desired learning outcomes to the target audience.
- Ensure CPD activities are informed by needs assessment findings and approved by the Board.
- Ensure that CPD teaching and learning methodologies selected are suited to achieve desired outcomes.
- Ensure that the course facilitators are selected based on their field of expertise.
- Ensure there are adequate teaching and learning resources to support CPD programs and activities.
- Ensure that time allocated for the CPD activity is adequate.
- Appropriately advertise all CPD activities to increase participation.
- Evaluate CPD activities regularly using standard evaluation tools provided by the Board (CPD III: Training Evaluation Form).
Here is How to apply for Accreditation as Continuous Professional Development (CPD) Provider in Kenya
- An institution can make an application for accreditation as a Continuous Professional Development(CPD) provider by visiting the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council’s (KMPDC) offices. The contact information of the KMPDC offices can be found in the “Office Location & Contact” Section of this page.
- Here the institutions contact person will be given an Application for Accreditation as a CPD Provider form to fill and submit. The application form can also downloaded from the KMPDC’s official website through the following link.
- Fill in the application form and attach the required documents. A list of the required documents is mentioned in the “Required Documents” section of this page.
- Submit the completed application form and all the required documents to the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council’s offices and proceed to pay the required fees. Details of the required fees for accreditation are provided in the “Fees” Section of this page.
- Submit the payment receipt to the KMPDC Offices for processing of your application to begin.
- At this point the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council will carry out inspections of the premises, activities, facilitators and related resources to determine if they are up to standard so as to approve the accreditation process.
- Upon completion of the accreditation process is completed the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council will contact the institutions contact person to collect the institution’s Continuous Professional Development(CPD) accreditation certificate in person.
- Accreditation is usually completed after a period of thirty days.
- The institutions contact person will be required to produce proof of identity while collecting the Continuous Professional Development(CPD) accreditation certificate.
- The Certificate of accreditation, is valid for 3 years
- The institution will also be given a Unique identification number, which should appear on all CPD activity documentation.
- Calendar of activities
- Copy of registration certificates
- Application fee payment Receipt
- Professional qualification documents of trainers
- Names of two referees.
Eligibility to apply for accreditation as CPD Providers CPD providers shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Health facilities at national and county levels (public and private)
- Training institutions (middle and tertiary institutions, public and private)
- Recognized regional and international professional bodies such as the Association of Medical Council of Africa (AMCOA) and International Association of Medical Regulatory Authorities (IAMRA)
- Faith-based Health Institutions
- Public benefits organizations (NGOs)
- National Medical and Dental Professional Associations
- Research institutions
- Ministry of Health and related special program divisions
- Others as approved by the Board
The Board will issue special CPD-provider licences for institutions that do not regularly carry out CPD activities but have an opportunity to offer the same. The categories of providers listed above may partner with other organizations to offer CPD.
- Application fee of Ksh 15,000.00 is charged
- All payments should be made at any KCB Branch countrywide to Board’s account No. 1103158643, Milimani Branch.
- validity is for three years
- Particulars of Applicant
- Name of institution
- Permanent Address
- Physical Address
- Postal Address
- Postal Code
- lot No
- LR No
- Telephone No
- Mobile No
- Name of Contact Person
- Landline No
- Mobile No
Office Locations & Contacts
Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council – Head Office
Woodlands Rd, Hurlingham,
P.O. Box 44893 – 00100,
Tel: +254-727666444 | +254-111052222