Apple Translate is a new feature that comes with iOS 14. You can use it to translate from one language to another. Currently Apple Translate supports 11 different languages. It also allows you to save translations to your favorites. This article teaches you how to use Apple Translate for iOS 14.
Using the Translate App
- Swipe down in the center of your screen to open the Spotlight. If you do a short swipe down in the center of your Home screen, this will display the Spotlight search bar at the top of the screen.
- On some older iPhones models, you may need to swipe down and then swipe to the right to display the Spotlight Search bar.
- Type Translate in the search bar and tap Go. This will search for the Translate app on your iPhone.
- On some iPhone models, the keyboard displays “Search” instead of “Go.”
- Open the Translate app. The Translate app has an an icon that resembles a globe with an “A” on one side and a “文” character on the other side. Tap the icon to open Apple Translate.
- Tap Translate. It’s at the bottom of the screen in the lower-left corner. This ensures you are in translate mode.
- Tap the box in the upper-left corner. This box displays the language you want to translate from. Tap this box to select a new langauge.
- Select the language you are translating from and tap Done. Tap one of the languages listed below “All Languages” to select the language you are translating from. Then tap Done in the upper-right corner. The languages Apple Translate currently supports are: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
- Alternatively, you can scroll down to “Available Offline Languages” and tap the icon with an arrow pointing down to the right to download a language for offline use.
- You can also tap the toggle switch next to “Automatic Detection” at the bottom of the list to automatically detect which languages are being spoken.
- Tap the box in the upper-right corner. This box allows you to select the language you are translating to.
- Tap the language you want to translate to and tap Done. Tap one of the 11 supported languages below “All Languages” to select a language you want to translate to.
- Enter the text you want to translate. To enter the text you want to translate, tap “Enter text.” Then use the on-screen keyboard to enter the text you want to translate. Then tap Go. This displays the original text in the top box and the translated text in the bottom box.
- Alternatively, you can tap the microphone icon at the bottom of the screen and speak.
- If you tap individual words in the translated text, you can view the definition of the words in the dictionary.
- If you need to correct or change any of the text, you can tap the text in the box at the top to edit it.
- Tap the Play icon. If you tap the Play triangle icon below the translated text, you can hear the translation dictated. This lets you hear how it’s pronounced.
- Tap the Star icon below the translation. This adds the translation to your favorites. If you plan on using this translation frequently, you can add it to your favorites so that you can easily access it later on.
- You can access your favorites by tapping Favorites in the lower-right corner of the Translate app.
- Press and hold the Home button or side button to activate Siri. The Home button is below the screen on older iPhone and iPad models. On newer iPhone models, press the Side button on the right to activate Siri. On newer iPad Pro models, press the top button. You will see the animated sphere icon at the bottom of the screen that indicates Siri is active.
- Siri must be enabled under “Search and Siri” in the Settings menu before you can activate Siri.
- If you have “Listen for ‘HeySiri'” enabled in “Search and Siri” menu in Settings, you can activate Siri just by saying “Hey Siri.”
- Say “please translate for me.“ Siri will reply “Sure, translate into which language?” Then a list of languages will be displayed on screen.
- Tap the language you want to translate to. Siri will then say “Ok, what would you like to translate?”
- Speak the phrase you want to translate. Siri will then dictate the translation of the phrase you want to translate as well as display the translated text on screen.
- Tap the Play icon.. Tap the Play triangle to the right of the translated text if you want to hear the translation again.
Was this article helpful?