This article teaches you how to update your music library on Sonos on PC or MAC through the desktop music controller app . You will need to have a Sonos account for this to work. Whenever you make changes to your music library like downloading or removing music, creating new playlists, or adjusting album artwork or metadata, you will need to update the music library index on Sonos before these changes will appear in your Sonos app. See our article on adding your music library if you have not yet added your library to Sonos.
Setting Up the Desktop Music Controller App
- Go to https://www.sonos.com/en-us/controller-app in a web browser.
- Select either the Mac or Windows download link. This is under the picture of speakers and phone.
- You’ll see there is a link for Android and Apple phones as well as links for Windows or Mac computers. As soon as you click the appropriate link, the download will start.
- Double click on the downloaded file.
- Follow the prompts to finish installing the app. Depending on what type of system you have, the prompts you see might vary slightly. On Mac, you’ll likely have to click Agree and drag the application into your applications folder. On PC, you’ll need to click Agree to continue.
- Open the Sonos Music Controller App for Desktop. Once the app has finished downloading, find it by searching for it in the Start Menu or in your Applications folder and double click to open it.
- Choose to either set up a new system or connect to an existing one.
- You will need to have a system set up to continue.
- If you choose to set up a new system, you’ll need to create an account.
- If you choose to connect an existing system, you’ll need to log in.
Updating Your Music Library
- Click Music Library Settings. This is in the menu along the top of the screen under Manage.
- Click the add icon.
- For Macs, you will click a plus sign.
- For Windows, you will click the word Add.
- Navigate to your music. The system will default to the “In My Music” folder, but you can navigate to another location if you’ve stored your music elsewhere.
- You may be prompted to enter your computer’s password.
- Click Update Music Library Now. This is in the menu along the top of the screen under Manage.
- Updating music from your computer to your Sonos library may take a while.
- Schedule your music to auto-update (optional). You can also schedule your music library to update if you make changes to it often.
- Check the box next to “Update content every day at…” in the Music Library Settings and select the time you want Sonos Music Library to update.