Press Play and Listen to this article on Nyongesa Sande!!
How to Register Business in Sierra Leone. Starting a business, or company, in Sierre Leone takes approximately 12 days as compared to about 46 days for the Sub-Saharan Africa region. This piece outlines the general technical procedures for starting a company in Sierra Leone, according to the Doingbusiness.org database by the World Bank. It includes details and requirements to be in good standing with all relevant agencies beyond the company registrar like social security agencies.
The steps involved in registering a company(Limited Liability Company) in Sierra Leone are:
- Check the uniqueness of the company name and pick up a company registration form.
- Register with the Registrar of Companies at the Office of the Administrator and Registrar General (OARG).
- Obtain tax clearance with the National Revenue Authority.
- Request a business license with the municipality.
- Register with the Ministry of Labor and Social Security.
- Make a company seal.
Why business people should give Sierra Leone a second look
Sierra Leone has come a long way since the civil war it experienced between 1991 and 2002. However, while the violence did negatively affect the economy and business environment in terms of the development of physical infrastructure, Sierra Leone’s reputation as a war torn economy remains one of the greatest hurdles for business today.
Advice for doing business in Sierra Leone
“First I would advise foreigners to be patient when doing business in Sierra Leone, as sourcing of local human resources can be very challenging,” explained Akinbinu. “You need patience to train… don’t assume that the way that it works out there in a developed economy is the same way here, and of course you can’t bring everybody from outside. You still need local talent.”
Akinbinu said foreigners looking to do business in Sierra Leone should also be aware that the West African country remains very much a cash economy, where credit and debit cards are not popular.
“In terms of getting business, networking is very important in Sierra Leone,” he continued. “It’s a small society, so you need to network. A lot of deals are clinched at the lunch table or over dinner… so you must be accessible and ready to network.”
Procedure to Register Business in Sierra Leone
- Before you go to the Office of the Administrator and Registrar General you will need to conduct a business name search first and complete a combined business application form- LINK.
- Simply follow the instructions provided on the online form.
- Pay registration fees
- Obtain certificate and TIN (Tax Identification Number)
Required Documents to Register Business in Sierra Leone
- Sierra Leonean to provide Photocopy of National ID Number (or passport / drivers license if applicant has one). Non-nationals of Sierra Leone are to provide passport number and residence permit.
Note: You will be expected to produce the original document for verification.
Office Locations & Contacts
Office of the Administrator and Registrar General
Roxy Building, Walpole Street, Freetown
Call +232 25 332396 if you have any difficulties filling any of the forms or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bo (1 Fenton Road, Bo)
- Makeni (34 Frontier Road, Makeni)
- Kenema (25 Hanga Road, Kenema)
Statutory fees for the Registration of Business and Companies
- Combined Application Form: No Charge
- Name search for all Business Entities. Business Name Search: No Charge
- Business Name Certificate: Le20,000.00
- Change of Business Name: Le20,000.00
- Certified copy Business name certificate: Le10,000.00
- Hard copy of certified Business Name Certificate: Le20,000.00
- NRA Written Statements for Sole Proprietorship: Le40,000.00
- NRA Written Statements for Partnership and Company: Le50,000.00
- Business Registration fees:
- Sole Proprietorship: Le50,000.00
- Partnership: Le55,000.00
It will take about a day for your application to be processed.
Instructions to Register Business in Sierra Leone
Applications to register a business are filed with the Office of the Administrator and Registrar General.
- Business name
- Business location address
- Postal Address
- Telephone Number and E-mail Address of Business
- Activity/Industrial Classification
- Business Activity/Nature of Business
- Capital employed in the business (including all Branches of Sierra Leone)
Need for the Document
This procedure provides you information on how can you register a business in Sierra Leone.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- It is an offence to operate a business without registering it first.
- You will be issued Tax Identification Number (TIN) as soon as you register a company
Office of the Administrator & Registrar General