Press Play and Listen to this article on Nyongesa Sande!!
To register as a Tea Packer in Kenya, one has to make a formal online application with the Tea Directorate of the Agriculture and Food Authority (AFA). This can be done by visiting the Agriculture and Food Authorities’ Website and clicking on the “Tea Portal” option under “Portals” option in the menu. Procedure on How to Register as Tea Packer in Kenya
Apply Online to Register as Tea Packer in Kenya
- To register as a Tea Packer in Kenya, one has to make a formal online application with the Tea Directorate of the Agriculture and Food Authority (AFA).
- This can be done by visiting the Agriculture and Food Authorities’ Website and clicking on the “Tea Portal” option under “Portals” option in the menu.
- This will direct you to the AFA Tea Directorate e-Portal where you can make your application for registration.
- Click on the ”Click here to register” link so as to begin your registration process.
- On the next page you are supposed to select the year you wish to register for and select the category you wish to apply for using the dropdown menu. Choose the financial year you wish to apply for and in the “Select category you wish to register for” select “Tea Packer Registration”.
- By selecting the “Tea Packer Registration” a checklist of documents for registration as a tea packer will pop up. The checklist of information that will be required to complete your application. You should proceed when you have all the information ready.
- A list of required documents is also mentioned in the “Required Document” section of this page.
- Details of the fee payable area also displayed. The fee is payable only after the registration has been vetted and approved. Please do not apply a payment until you are requested to do so.
- Click on “proceed” to go to the next page.
- On the next page fill in the required information for registration as a tea packer. This includes the applicant details and Organization details.
- After filling the information click on “Save applicant’s details”. This will prompt an email to be sent to your email address.
- Log-in to your email address to verify your account.
- After verifying your account Upload the required documents.
- After you have uploaded the documents you will receive a message informing you that your application is under review and you will be contacted once the application is approved.
- Once your application is approved you will receive communication in your email address and your AFA Tea Directorate e-Portal informing you on the progress and payment details.
- Proceed to make the payment for registration. The amount of fees to be paid can be found under the “Fees” section of this page, the amount will also be sent to your email address and your AFA Tea Directorate e-Portal
- Submit your proof of payment in your AFA Tea Directorate e-Portal account by logging into your account and uploading the proof of payment receipt.
- Once the proof of payment is verified a copy of the registration certificate will be sent to your AFA Tea Directorate e-Portal account which you can print or retrieve anytime.
Required Documents to Register as Tea Packer in Kenya
- Business registration certificate or certificate of incorporation (PDF Documents to be uploaded)
- Directors National Identity Cards/ Passport ( To attach Copies) (PDF Documents to be uploaded)
- Names of Company Directors
- Receipt/Bankers Cheque (PDF Documents to be uploaded)
- The Food, Drugs, and Chemical Substances (Food Hygiene Regulations) Licence (Cap 254) by the Public Health Department (Valid Copy to be attached) (PDF Documents to be uploaded)
- Trade Mark Registration (PDF Documents to be uploaded)
Office Locations & Contacts
Agriculture and Food Authority
Tea House; Naivasha Road, off Ngong Road
P.O Box 37962 – 00100, Nairobi
Cell Phone: +254-722200556/734600944
Wireless: +254 – 020 – 2536869/2536886
Website: Agriculture and Food Authority (AFA)
AFA Tea Directorate e-Portal
Eligibility to Register as Tea Packer in Kenya
- Any person or institution wishing to engage in the tea business as a tea packer.
Fees to Register as Tea Packer in Kenya
- Registration Ksh 5,000
- The fee is payable only after the registration has been vetted and approved. Please do not apply a payment until you are requested to do so.
Validity to Register as Tea Packer in Kenya
- The license is valid for a period of one year.
Documents to Use
- Applicant details (Name of the applicant, Email address ,TAX PIN number , Mobile number)
- Organization details (Organization Name , Email , Mobile number, Physical address , Postal Address .TAX PIN number , Natioal ID/Certificate of Incorporation ,Division , Nature of business , Services provided )
Need for the Document
- This registration allows a person or institution to engage in tea packing business in Kenya. One cannot operate as a tea packer in Kenya unless they are registered by the tea directorate of the Agriculture and Food Authority (AFA)
Information which might help
- The licensing authority shall issue licenses to applicants subject to such lawful conditions as the authority may determine.
- Every license shall specify the premises upon which the business specified in the license may be carried on.
- Licenses issued shall remain in force until the thirtieth of June next following the date of issue, unless earlier cancelled.
- There shall be fees payable for the issue of licenses under this Act. Such fees are as the licensing authority may prescribe.
- The total fees charged will depend on the turnover of the dealer and shall not overburden small scale dealers and the cumulative total of all levies and fees payable shall in any event not exceed ten per cent of the gate value of the agricultural or aquatic product.
- The licensing authority shall, at least thirty days before granting a license, give notice of the proposed grant in the Gazette and in such other manner as the authority may determine.
- The notice referred to in subsection (6) shall—
- (i) specify the name or other particulars of the person or class of persons to whom the license is to be granted;
- (ii) state the purpose for the proposed license and indicate the date such license is proposed to be issued to the successful applicant; and
- (iii) invite objections to the proposed grant of license and direct that such objections be lodged with the Authority within fourteen days next following the date of the notice.
- The licensing authority may after considering the objections, if any, grant the license applied for, subject to such terms and conditions specified
- The issuance of a license to an applicant under this Act shall not be withheld without reasonable cause.
External Links to Register as Tea Packer in Kenya
About Tea Directorate
- The Tea Directorate was formed following the repeal of the Tea (Amendment) Act, 2011 , following the commencement of the Crops Act, 2013 on 1st August 2014.
Mandate of the Tea Directorate
- License tea manufacturing factories;
- Register buyers, Tea Management Agent’s,
- Management agents and any other person dealing in tea;
- Promote Kenya tea in both the local and the international markets.