Press Play and Listen to this article on Nyongesa Sande!!
How to Open an Rpt File on PC or Mac. This Article teaches you how to view a Crystal Reports .rpt file on a Mac or PC using the free SAP Crystal Reports Viewer.
What is an RPT file?
A file with the RPT file extension is most likely some kind of report file, but knowing how to open it depends on the program that’s using it since different applications might utilize reports with the .RPT suffix.
For example, some RPT files are Crystal Reports files made with the SAP Crystal Reports program. There might be data in these reports that originated from a variety of databases and is most likely fully sortable and interactive within the Crystal Reports software.
Another report file format that uses the RPT suffix is AccountEdge Report files made with the AccountEdge Pro software. These reports might have to do with anything from accounting and payroll to sales and inventory.
Other RPT files might just be plain text files that are accepted in a wide variety of reporting applications.
Note: RPTR files are similar to regular Crystal Reports files except that they’re read-only files, meaning that they’re meant to be opened and viewed but not edited.
Steps on How to Open an Rpt File on PC or Mac
- Go to http://www.crystalreports.com/crystal-viewer/ in a web browser. This is the download site for SAP Crystal Reports Viewer, a free applications for Windows and macOS that can open .rpt files.
- Download the installation archive.
- To start the download, fill out the form (name, country, version, and mailing list preferences), then click Free Download.
- Click the Installation Package link for your operating system.
- Save the file to your computer.
- Install SAP Crystal Reports Viewer. The downloaded file is a compressed (zip) file, so unzip it into a folder, then open the Data_Units folder, where you’ll find the installer for Windows and macOS.
- Windows: Double-click CRRViewer.exe, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- macOS: Double-click Crystal Reports 2016 Viewer.dmg, drag the icon to the Applications folder, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Open SAP Crystal Reports 2016 Viewer. It’s in the All Apps area of the Start menu in Windows, and in the Applications folder on macOS.
- Click I Agree. You’ll only have to do this the first time you run the application.
- Click Browse for report. It’s under the “Open” header. This opens your computer’s file browser.
- Open the folder that contains the .rpt file.
- Click the .rpt file to select it.
- Click Open. This opens the .rpt file in the viewer.
How to Convert an RPT File
If you install the free Crystal Reports Viewer program mentioned above, you can use the File > Export Current Section menu to save the Crystal Reports RPT file to XLS (an Excel format), PDF, and RTF.
The AccountEdge Pro software is also able to convert RPT to PDF, as well as to HTML.
Another way to get your report file in the PDF format (regardless of the format it’s in) is to open it normally using the viewer or editor from above, and then “print” it to a PDF file. The way this works is that once the RPT file is open and ready to be printed, you can choose to save it to PDF to essentially convert the report to the much more popular PDF format.
Microsoft’s SQL Server Manager Studio
might be able to convert an RPT file to CSV for use with Excel and other similar programs. This can be done in that program through the Query
menu, and then Query Options
. Change the Output format:
option to Tab delimited
, and then run the query with the Unicode Save with Encoding
option to export the file.
You might have to then rename the *.RPT file to *.CSV to make it open with Excel. However, know that renaming a file like this is not how you actually convert it; it only works in this situation because the file extension might not have been renamed as it should have during the conversion. A file conversion tool is typically used to convert files between formats.