How to Convert a Foreign Driver License in Sri Lanka. An International Driving Permit (IDP), often referred to as an international driving licence, is a translation of a domestic driving licence that allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle in any country or jurisdiction that recognises the document. The term International Driving Permit was first mentioned in the document prescribed in the International Convention relative to Motor Traffic that was signed at Paris in 1926, and is a translation of the French ‘permis de conduire international’, or ‘international driving licence’. The Paris treaty, and all subsequent, use the word ‘permit’ exclusively in relation to all kinds of driving licence.
HOW TO APPLY to Convert a Foreign Driver License in Sri Lanka
A Foreigner or Sri Lanka citizens with a valid foreign drivers licences are eligible to apply. The drivers licence can be used as proof of identity.
- Visit the Department Of Motor Traffic near you with the required documents and the recommended fee.:Contact
- Conditions and required documents for the application
- Only light vehicle license can be obtained under this system.
- The foreign driving license which is valid for the conversion date(Provisional driving licenses or learner permits are not accepted)
- If the applicant is a foreign national, the applicant having valid visa for more than 06 months period are eligible for applying a Sri Lankan driving license while other having a valid visa for less than six months will only be issued with a temporary driving license.
- If the Driving license and the passport are not in English, the English translations of those two documents, done by the relevant Embassy/Mission.
- Medical fitness certificate obtained from the National Transport Medical Institute, within a period of six months.
- The letter of acknowledgment from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in the event of a person in the foreign Diplomatic service.
- The passport with the National Identity Card Number on it, in the event of a Sri Lankan or a holder of dual citizenship.
- Request for the application form for your petition, read through the instruction carefully and fill it correctly
- Pay the required application fee ,submit the filled form and attach all the required document to the attending officer who will then verify and process your document.
- If all the information are in order you will be issued your licence by the issuing authority.
- Valid Foreign driver license Or International driver license
- Medical Fitness Certificate
- Letter of acknowledgement from ministry of foreign affairs.
- Filled up application form which can be obtained from the driver license office
- Issuance of a local driving licence on a foreign driving licence (for a Sri Lankan) 2500 LKR
- Issuance of a new driving license for a foreign national 15000 LKR
- Additional charges for the one day service 500 LKR
- Fee information.
- Applicant full names
- Applicant nationality
- Applicant residency address
- Applicant date of birth
- Applicant foreign licence issued date
Assistant Commissioner Licensing Division Contacts,
Department of Motor Traffic,
P.O Box 533, 581-341, Elvitigala Mawatha,
List of District offices which can be contacted : District Offices
Head office contact information : Head Office Location
For Obtaining & Submitting Application Forms:
Working days: Mondays to Fridays
Counter open hours: 9:30 am to 3:30 pm (Normal)
Counter open hours: 9:30 am to 12:30 pm (Priority)
Holidays: All Public and Mercantile Days
Department of Motor Traffic
No: 581-341, Elvitigala Mavatha, Narahenpita, Colombo 05. .
Mr. Upul Priyantha de Silva
Fax Nos: +94-11-2694338
Was this article helpful?