Apply for Sri Lankan Diplomatic Passport. Sri Lankan passports are issued to citizens of Sri Lanka for the purpose of international travel. The Department of Immigration and Emigration is responsible for issuing Sri Lankan passports.
A passport is a document that certifies the identity and nationality of the holder for travel abroad. It contains information about the holder; like name, gender, date and place of birth.
The government of Sri Lanka issues Diplomatic passports which are valid for all countries.
Immigration and Emigration Department has begun to issue biometric passports according to international standards with effect from 10 August 2015
Note of passport
The passport contains the following note :
මෙය දරන්නාට අවහිර බාධාවලින් තොරව නිදහසේ ගමන් කිරීමට සහ අවශ්යවන ආධාර ද ආරක්ෂාව ද සලස්වා දෙන ලෙසත් අදාල වගකීම් දරන සියලු දෙනාගෙන්ම ශ්රී ලංකා ප්රජාතාන්ත්රික සමාජවාදී ජනරජයේ ජනාධිපති ඉල්ලුම්කර ද අපේක්ෂාකර ද සිටී.
இதனை வைத்திருப்பவர் தங்குதடையின்றி இலகுவாகப் பிரயாணஞ் செய்ய அனுமதிக்குமாறும் வேண்டிய உதவியையும், பாதுகாப்பையும் அளிக்குமாறும் இது தொடர்புடைய சகலரையும் இலங்கைச் ஜனநாயக சோசலிசக் குடியரசின் ஜனாதிபதி அவர்கள் வேண்டிக் கொள்கிறார்கள்.
The President of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka requests and requires all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.
List of Eligible Persons to be Issued with Sri Lankan Diplomatic Passports.
These passports are valid for all countries and the validity period is 10 years unless otherwise specified in the passport. This passport is issued to VVIPs, Members of Parliament and Persons Posted to prescribed positions at Sri Lankan Overseas Missions.
- The President, Spouse and their Children
- The Prime Minister, Spouse and their Children
- Former Presidents, Former Prime Ministers, the Speaker, Chief Justice, Ministers and Leader of the Opposition.
- Representatives of the Government of Sri Lanka accredited to the Government of other countries while they are serving abroad.
- Officers holding substantive appointments in the Overseas Service (including Officers Posted to Sri Lanka Mission from Department of Commerce) while serving abroad.
- Governors of the Provinces.
- Chief Ministers of the Provinces.
- Deputy Speaker, Deputy Ministers, Deputy Chairman of Committees of Parliament, Chief Government Whip (Spouse and Unmarried Daughters and Minor Sons of Categories (03 to 08).
- Attorney General.
- Judges of the Supreme Court.
- Judges of the Court of Appeal.
- Members of Parliament and Spouses.
- Chairpersons of the Provincial Councils and Provincial Ministers.
- Secretary to the President.
- Normal Basis – LKR. 2500.00
- Urgent Basis – LKR. 7500.00
Steps on How to Apply for Sri Lankan Diplomatic Passport
Obtain application form in the following offices:
2.) Submit form along with all the required documents and pay application fee.
- Most recent passport of the applicant
- Original Birth Certificate of the applicant.
- Original National Identity Card of the applicant and a photocopy.
- Marriage certificate if applicable (to confirm the name after marriage)
- For MPs-A request letter from the Parliament
- For Foreign Postings- A request letter from the Ministry of External Affairs
- Others- A request letter from the Line Ministry
NOTE: If you already have a valid passport which belongs to M or N series (if the passport number begins with letters M or N) it should be submitted along with the application.
Department of Immigration and Emigration Contacts
“Suhurupaya”, Sri Subhuthipura Road, Battaramulla
Hotline : 1962
Phone : 94-11-5329000 Hunting Line
Fax : 94-11-2674621
E-Mail : controller[at]immigration.gov.lk
Controller General of Immigration and Emigration & Commissioner for Registration of Persons of Indian Origin
Mr. M. N. Ranasinghe
Telephone : +94 11 5329400
Ext : 9400
Fax : 2674621
Email : controller[at]immigration.gov.lk
Additional Controller General
Mr P. V. Gunathilaka
Telephone : +94 11 5329450
Ext : 9450
Sri Lankan Embassies
- Normal Processing Applications – from 8.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m.
- Urgent Basis Applications – from 8.00 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. On week days only.
The office closes on weekends and during Public Holidays.
Was this article helpful?