This is a Procedure How to apply for a Motor Insurance in Kenya. Insurance is a mechanism through which persons transfer risk(s) to insurance companies at a fee called premium. The insurance companies in return promise to pay for the insured loss should it occur. The Insurance Regulatory Authority (IRA) is Government institution responsible for the regulation of the insurance industry in Kenya. IRA does not, therefore, sell insurance products.
This is a Procedure How to apply for a Motor Insurance in Kenya
- Contact any motor broker and let them assess your motor insurance cover needs before they can refer you to the appropriate insurance provider
- Complete the proposal form
- Provide the necessary supporting documents
- Conduct a valuation of the vehicle (very important)
- Sign the policy document (Carefully read and understand the policy document)
- National Identity Card
- Motor vehicle Log book
Office Locations & Contacts
There are many vehicle insurance providers in Kenya and they have offices in all major towns.
Every motor vehicle operated on Kenyan roads must be insured.
Varies greatly depending on the type cover and the class in which the vehicle belongs
Less than 30 minutes
- It is important to understand that by taking a motor insurance, you are transferring the risk from yourself to the motor insurance company.
- There are three distinct types of motor insurance cover that you should Know:
- Third party covers third party body injury and property damage that might occur in an accident.
- The Comprehensive cover covers third party and second party but does not cover first party and family. Owner and family members are required to take personal accident cover
- Third party fire & theft cover covers theft in addition to covering third party liability
- You also need to understand the different classes of motor insurance and this include commercial, PSV, and Private.
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Vehicle ownership
Need for the Document
The law requires all motor vehicles to be insured in Kenya, and the insurance is supposed to cover against financial loss, theft, damages, and third party liabilities. This is captured under CAP 405 of the Insurance Act. Getting an insurance cover that meets your specific requirements can be a difficult task.
Information which might help
You should visit a number of as many insurance cover providers as possible to compare services before settling on any of them. You might also check their history.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Can be used to provide proof of motor vehicle ownership
Kenya Insurance Review
Was this article helpful?