How to Adjust iOS Settings for Message Effects. A couple of items in your Settings app will affect how message effects appear and play. Here’s where to find and configure those settings to ensure you can use the effects feature with no problems. You need iMessage to send message effects. Learn the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS texts. Depending on your carrier, messaging rates might apply when you send SMS/MMS. If you use iMessage and Wi-Fi is unavailable, cellular data rates might apply.
Open the Settings app.
Tap Motion under the Vision heading.
The two relevant settings are Reduce Motion and Auto-Play Message Effects.
Full-screen effects may not work if Reduce Motion is Off, so tap the toggle to On (green).
The Auto-Play Message Effects setting is optional. Turn it on to play effects as soon as you open a message containing one. If you switch it off, you’ll have to tap a command before the effect will activate.
Send a message with Camera Effects
With Camera Effects in iOS 12 and later, and iPadOS, you can liven up your conversations even more. Quickly create and share a photo or video with Memoji, filters, text, fun stickers, and more. Follow these steps:
- Open Messages and tap the Compose button to create a new message. Or go to an existing conversation.
- Tap the Camera button .
- Tap the Effects button , then select one of the effects, like Memoji* or an iMessage app. You can add more than one effect to a photo or video.
- After you select the effect that you want to use, tap Done.
- Tap the Send button or tap Done to add a personal message. If you don’t want to send the photo, tap the icon in the upper-right corner of the photo.
You need a compatible iPhone or iPad to use Memoji.
Respond to a message with expressions
With Tapback, you can quickly reply to messages with expressions, like a thumbs up or a heart. Here’s how:
- Open a conversation in Messages.
- Double-tap the message bubble or photo that you want to respond to.
- Select the Tapback that you want to send.
You can also use Tapback in group messages. To see who replied with a Tapback, tap it.
Send a handwritten message