How to set up a Screen Lock on your Galaxy Phone. Since your Galaxy phone holds all your important information, make sure to protect it and keep things private. A great way to increase the security on your phone is setting up a screen lock. You can use a few different screen lock types, such as fingerprint identification, face recognition, pattern, or password. This way, no one else will be able to access your device.
Note: The Iris Scan and Intelligent Scan features are only available on S8, S8+, S9, S9+, Note8, and Note9.
Here are ways on How to set up a Screen Lock on your Galaxy Phone
Set up a basic phone lock screen
To ensure your Galaxy phone’s security, you can set up a phone lock to use a password, PIN, or pattern. That way, even if someone gets their hands on your phone, they won’t be able to access it.
From Settings, swipe to and tap Security and privacy, then tap Lock screen, and then tap Screen lock. Select your desired type of lock. Follow the on-screen instructions to set it up.
Here are the basic Screen lock types:
- PIN: Select a PIN to unlock the screen.
- Password: Create a password for unlocking the screen.
- Pattern: Create a pattern that you draw on the screen to unlock.
- Swipe: Swipe the screen to unlock it.
- None: No screen lock.
Set up Biometric security phone lock
Note: The Iris Scan and Intelligent Scan features are only available on S8/S8+, S9/S9+, Note8, and Note9.
You can also set up Biometric security so you can unlock your Galaxy phone with your face, your fingerprints, or even your eyes!
- From Settings, swipe to and tap Security and privacy.
- Tap Biometrics. Select your desired type of phone lock, such as Fingerprints, and then follow the
- Here is a basic rundown of the available biometric options:
- Face recognition: Use facial recognition to unlock your phone.
- Fingerprints: Use fingerprint recognition to unlock the screen.
- Iris: Use iris recognition to unlock the screen. Only available on select phones.
- Intelligent Scan: Use face and iris recognition together for better accuracy and security. Only available on select phones.
- Once you’ve set up a biometric security feature, make sure that you have it set on your Lock screen. For example, you need to have Fingerprint unlock activated if you want to unlock your phone with your fingerprints. To do so, just tap your desired biometric feature, and make sure the appropriate switch (i.e. Fingerprint unlock, Face unlock) is turned on.
Secure phone lock settings
For extra protection, you can set up secure lock settings, such as an automatic screen lock when your Galaxy phone is idle. However, these settings won’t show up until after you’ve already made a Lock screen.
From Settings, tap Lock screen, and then tap Secure lock settings. Enter your current lock screen credentials. Then, turn your desired Secure lock settings on or off by tapping the switch.
- Make pattern visible: Choose whether or not the pattern appears on the screen when you draw it. This option will only appear if you have a pattern set as your Lock screen.
- Auto lock when screen turns off: Set a time limit for when your phone will lock, such as 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 1 minute, or 5 minutes.
- Lock instantly with Side key: Set your phone to lock instantly when you press the Side key.
- Auto factory reset: After 20 incorrect attempts to unlock your phone, it will be reset to factory default settings, and all data will be erased, including files and downloaded apps.
- Lock network and security: Keep network and mobile data functions locked while your phone is locked, making it easier to locate and protect if it’s lost or stolen.
- Show Lockdown option: Display a Power button option that turns off Smart Lock and notifications on the Lock screen.
Lock screen display settings
Not only does the Lock screen display time and notifications, it also lets you access apps and features without unlocking your Galaxy phone.
From Settings, tap Lock screen. Use the following settings to customize your Lock screen’s appearance:
- Lock screen: Tap EDIT to add or remove icons or other information.
- Widgets: Tap EDIT to select your desired widgets by tapping their switch(es). You can also reorder widgets.
- Touch and hold to edit: Touch and hold your Lock screen to begin editing it.
- Always On Display: Enable Always On Display for your Lock screen.
- Roaming clock: You can set your home time zone. Your home time zones and local time zones will be displayed when you are roaming.
Troubleshoot a locked phone
If you’re having trouble unlocking your Galaxy phone using a biometric security option or a PIN, password, or pattern, you can try remotely unlocking your phone using SmartThings Find or another method.
To use one of these methods, please review our guide for unlocking a phone or tablet.