How to Create a Gmail Account. To sign up for Gmail, create a Google Account. You can use the username and password to sign in to Gmail and other Google products like YouTube, Google Play, and Google Drive. A Google Account is a user account that is required for access, authentication and authorization to certain online Google services. It is also often used as single sign on for third party services.
- Go to the Google Account creation page.
- Follow the steps on the screen to set up your account.
- Use the account you created to sign in to Gmail.
Create an account
It’s easy to create a free Gmail email account, whether you want a new email address a different username, or more storage for your messages. A Gmail account offers these and a robust spam filter. You can use it to access your existing email accounts and profit from Gmail eliminating the junk. You can also use it to archive old mail or as a backup.
These instructions apply to web browsers on any operating system.
The username I want is taken
You won’t be able to get a certain Gmail address if the username you requested is:
- Already being used.
- Very similar to an existing username (for example, if firstname.lastname@example.org already exists, you can’t use email@example.com).
- The same as a username that someone used in the past and then deleted.
- Reserved by Google to prevent spam or abuse.
Someone is impersonating me
If you believe someone has created a Gmail address to try to impersonate your identity, you can:
Use Gmail for your business
If you want to use Gmail for your business, a Google Workspace account might be better for you than a personal Google Account. Google Workspace starts at $6 per user per month and includes the following:
- A professional, ad-free Gmail account using your company’s domain name, such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ownership of employee accounts so you are always in control of your company’s accounts, emails, and files.
- 24/7 phone, email, and chat support from a real person.
- Increased Gmail and Google Drive storage.
- Mobile device management to keep your data secure, such as the ability to remotely wipe lost devices.
- Advanced security and administrative controls.
Learn more about Google Workspace or start a free trial.
This is How to Create a Gmail Account
- Visit Create your Google Account for Gmail.
- Enter your first and last name.
- Type your desired username.
Your Gmail email address will be your username followed by “@gmail.com.” If your Gmail username is “example,” for instance, your Gmail address is “email@example.com.”
- Input an email password that is difficult to guess. For enhanced security, you should later enable two-factor authentication for your Gmail account.
- Select Next.
- Optionally, you can enter your mobile phone number and/or an alternate email address for account verification and authorization. Google uses this information to to allow you to recover a lost password.
- Enter your birth date and gender (all fields are required).
- Select Next.
- You will be asked to verify your phone number or alternate email. Click Send or skip this by clicking Not now.
- Read and the Privacy and Terms and then select I Agree to continue.
If you do not agree to the privacy and terms, you will not be able to continue creating a Gmail account.
- You’ll be directed to the My Account page for the email address you just created. From there, you can sign into your account, manage your personal information, and set your account preferences.
You can access Gmail Account and Your Other Existing Email
You can access Gmail on the web, and you can also set it up in desktop and mobile email programs. There are Gmail apps for Windows 10, iOS and Android mobile devices. Just download the app compatible with your device and sign in. Gmail lets you access your other existing POP email accounts, both for sending and receiving mail.