A quantity surveyor (QS) is a construction industry professional with expert knowledge on construction costs and contracts. List of Professional Quantity surveyor Associations. Qualified professional quantity surveyors are known as Chartered Surveyors (Members and Fellows of RICS) in the UK and Certified Quantity Surveyors (a designation of AIQS) in Australia and other countries. In some countries such as Canada, South Africa, Kenya and Mauritius, qualified quantity surveyors are known as Professional Quantity Surveyors, a title protected by law.
Quantity surveyors are responsible for managing all aspects of the contractual and financial side of construction projects. They help to ensure that the construction project is completed within its projected budget. Quantity surveyors are also hired by contractors to help with the valuation of construction work for the contractor, help with bidding and project budgeting, and the submission of bills to the client.
Qualification to be a Quantity surveyor
A university degree or diploma alone does not allow one to register as a Quantity Surveyor. Usually, anyone looking to qualify as a Chartered Quantity Surveyor, Certified Quantity Surveyor or Professional Quantity Surveyor must hold appropriate educational qualifications and work experience, and must pass a professional competence assessment.
The RICS requires an RICS approved degree, several years of practical experience, and passing the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) to qualify as a Chartered Quantity Surveyor. Some candidates may be entitled to qualify through extensive experience and reciprocity agreements.
Here is a List of Professional Quantity surveyor Associations
- RICS – The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- AIQS – Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- IQSSL – Institute of Quantity Surveyors Sri Lanka
- ASAQS – Association of South African Quantity Surveyors
- BSIJ – Building Surveyors Institute of Japan
- CIQS – Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- CCEA – China Cost Engineering Association
- HKIS – Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors
- IIQS – Indian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- IQSI – Ikatan Quantity Surveyor Indonesia
- JIQS – Jamaican Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- NIQS – Nigerian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- NZIQS – New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- PICQS – Philippine Institute of Certified Quantity Surveyors
- RISM – The Royal Institution of Surveyors Malaysia
- SISV – Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers
- SCSI – Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland
- SACQSP – South African Council for Quantity Surveying Profession
- IQSK – Institute of Quantity Surveyors of Kenya
- QSI – Quantity Surveyor International
- GHIS – Ghana Institute of Surveyors
- UNTEC – Union nationale des Économistes de la construction (France)