26.2 C
Los Angeles
Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Tourism Fund renews push to get Airbnbs pay 2 pc tax

The Tourism Fund and other regulatory agencies...


Nation.Africa Nation ePaper Nairobi News Business Daily NTV NTV Uganda Daily Monitor The Citizen Mwananchi Mwanaspoti The...

List of best Airbnb Alternatives in Mbale Kenya to try Out

List of best Airbnb Alternatives in Mbale...

Meru Water Paybill Number 918 350

Meru Water & Sewerage Services Registered Trustees (MEWASS) is incorporated under The Trustees (Perpetual Succession) Act Cap 164, of the Laws of Kenya. Meru Water Paybill Number 918 350. An irrevocable declaration of Trust was made in April 2001 between Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources and Meru Municipal Council on the one hand and the Trustees of MEWASS on the other, effectively transferring the duty of water and sewerage provision from the Ministry and Council to MEWASS.

The Constitution of Kenya 2010 under the Fourth Schedule placed water and sanitation services to the County governments. Consequently, the Transition Authority vide Gazette Notice no. 154 of 9th August 2013, transferred water service provision including water, sanitation and sewerage companies to the County Government of Meru.

The Meru Water and Sewerage Services Trust was registered on 25th July 2001 as a body corporate under the Trustees (Perpetual Succession) Act, Cap 164 of the Laws of Kenya.

Meru Water Supply and Sewerage Services has principal objective to manage, operate and maintain water and sewerage services in Meru Town and its environs.

Residents of Meru served by MEWASS need not worry about bill payments as they can do so easily from their mobile phones.

Here is how to use Meru Water Paybill Number 918 350

  • Select Safaricom icon on your Phone
  • Select Mpesa and press Pay Bill
  • Enter Meru Water Paybill number 918 350
  • Enter your water account No.
  • Enter Amount you wish to pay
  • Enter your PIN
  • Confirm the payment details are correct and then send
  • You will get confirmation message from Safaricom

Meru Water and Sewerage company (MEWASS) contacts.

For more information regarding MEWASS Paybill number 918 350, contact:

MEWASS office – contact details

P.O Box 859-60200 Meru

Physical location: Nakumatt – Kinoru Stadium RD

Office line nos.:


0717527707 – (Calls only – No sms)

Emergency No. : 0719105110

Fax No: 064-3132603

E-Mails: info@mewass.or.ke or info@meruwater.or.ke;

FAQs & Knowledge Center

What is MEWASS?

MEWASS is a Trustee formed, that has taken over the provision of water and sewerage services in Meru Town and its environs from the Ministry of Water and Irrigation, and Municipal Council of Meru.

Will MEWASS issue bills monthly?

Mewass promises to issue accurate bills every month, through the nominated email account or phone number, with a clear disconnection notice. We also promise to restore water supply within the working hours after payments have been made.

Is the water provided by MEWASS safe for drinking?

Yes, the water is treated as per the standards of the World Health Organization and Kenya Bureau of Standards (KBS). The Central Water Testing Laboratories, Government Chemist, KBS and the Ministry of Health randomly and independently also sample the water and have certified it fit for human consumption

How will the Trustee deal with illegal connections and unpaid bills?

Customers who does not pay their bills are disconnected and charged a penalty of 500/-. Mewass imposes a further penalty of 500 for self reconnections. People with illegal bypasses/illegal connections are prosecuted

Am I allowed to reconnect my water after a disconnection?

According to the Water Act 2002, it is a criminal offence to reconnect your own water.

How does Mewass arrive at the cost that the consumer is billed?

After a meter reading, billing is based on set tariff rates. The consumer is billed for only what is consumed

Can I read my own meter?

Yes. Mewass encourages consumers to take their own meter readings especially those whose premises are inaccessible to Mewass staff, and bring them for billing purposes.

How can I get a meter as a new water consumer?

Meters are provided free of charge by Mewass once payments of materials are paid for. The meter however remains the property of Mewass and the consumer is responsible for its safety.

What should I do if my meter is faulty

You should report to Mewass office. Your meter will be tested by Mewass Technicians and replacements will be made if need be.

Where can I pay my water bills?

You can make water payments at the Equity Bank, countrywide. Also you can pay via M-pesa paybill number 918350.

How will Mewass fight corruption among its employees?

Customers are asked to report any Mewass employee asking for bribes to the management. No payments should be made without formal authorizations.