A cement is a binder, a substance used for construction that sets, hardens, and adheres to other materials to bind them together. Cement is seldom used on its own, but rather to bind sand and gravel (aggregate) together. Cement mixed with fine aggregate produces mortar for masonry, or with sand and gravel, produces concrete. Concrete is the most widely used material in existence and is behind only water as the planet’s most-consumed resource. Best Cement Companies in Qatar
Cements used in construction are usually inorganic, often lime or calcium silicate based, which can be characterized as non-hydraulic or hydraulic respectively, depending on the ability of the cement to set in the presence of water (see hydraulic and non-hydraulic lime plaster).
Non-hydraulic cement does not set in wet conditions or under water. Rather, it sets as it dries and reacts with carbon dioxide in the air. It is resistant to attack by chemicals after setting. Best Cement Companies in Qatar
Hydraulic cements (e.g., Portland cement) set and become adhesive due to a chemical reaction between the dry ingredients and water. The chemical reaction results in mineral hydrates that are not very water-soluble and so are quite durable in water and safe from chemical attack. This allows setting in wet conditions or under water and further protects the hardened material from chemical attack. The chemical process for hydraulic cement was found by ancient Romans who used volcanic ash (pozzolana) with added lime (calcium oxide).
The word “cement” can be traced back to the Ancient Roman term opus caementicium, used to describe masonry resembling modern concrete that was made from crushed rock with burnt lime as binder. The volcanic ash and pulverized brick supplements that were added to the burnt lime, to obtain a hydraulic binder, were later referred to as cementum, cimentum, cäment, and cement. In modern times, organic polymers are sometimes used as cements in concrete.
Best Cement Companies in Qatar
- Al Rayyan Block Factory & Cement Products WLL+974 – 44901939
- Al Sehmiah Cement Products+974 – 44509900
- Chryso Corrotech Qatar+974 – 44500840
- Elite Middle East+974 – 44581119, 55222186
- Gulf Cement Company+974 – 44445900
- Henkel Polybit Trading Ltd+974 – 44311145
- Jersey Glass WLL+974 – 40219555
- Qatar National Cement Company+974 – 24693800
- Qatar Petroleum+974 – 44773720, 44773111
- Qatar Tractor & Equipment Co WLL+974 – 44602881, 44602946
- Redco Construction+974 – 4690276, 4690639
- Sea Gulf Trading & Contracting WLL+974 – 44582487, 44691963
- Sika Gulf BSC+974 – 55831879, 55507813
- Teyseer Building Materials & Transport Co WLL+974 – 44601583
- Wickham Middle East Flooring+974 – 44600784
- United Gulf Cement Company – UGCC – Phone: 4477 1300
- KHALIJ Cement Company – Phone: 4402 1030
- Aamal Cement Industries – Phone: 4450 2010
- Redco GRC (Leading glass reinforced cement company)–Phone: 4460 6152
Was this article helpful?