The Bank of South Sudan (BoSS) is the central bank of the Republic of South Sudan. Established in July 2011, by an Act of Parliament (The Bank of South Sudan Act, 2011), it replaced the now defunct Bank of Southern Sudan, a former branch of the Bank of Sudan, which had served as the central bank of South Sudan, during the period between February 2005 until July 2011. The bank is fully owned by the Government of South Sudan.
Organization and Governance
The Bank of South Sudan is the central bank of the Republic of South Sudan. It is headed by the Governor of the Bank of South Sudan. The Bank is the only institution that is constitutionally mandated to issue the South Sudanese pound.
The main functions of the Bank of South Sudan are:
- To function as the central bank of South Sudan.
- To establish and supervise conventional banking services in South Sudan including licenses to financial institutions according to rules and regulations issued by the board of directors.
- The management of the bank is under the Governor of the Bank of South Sudan, who will manage the conventional banking system in South Sudan according to prevailing rules, regulation and policies.
- To act as the bank to the Government of South Sudan, as an adviser and agent thereof in monetary and financial affairs.
- In the discharge of the duties, responsibilities and mandates thereby required and imposed upon it, to exercise the power and supervisory authority so conferred, in a manner consistent with the ordinances and regulations stipulated in the laws that govern the bank.
- The Bank of South Sudan shall be in charge of supervising and regulating commercial banks in South Sudan.
- James Alic Garang – Governor
- Samuel Yanga Mikaya – First Deputy Governor for banking and currency
- Nyiel Gordon Kuol – Second Deputy Governor for banking and currency
- Daniel Kech Puoc – Deputy Governor for Administration & Finance
- Yeni Samuel Costa – Director General for Currency & Banking
- Marial Bawuor Mabeny – Director General for Supervision and Research
- Samuel Yanga Mekaya – Director General for Administration and Finance
Yeni Samuel Costa
Governors of the Bank of South Sudan
The Governors were appointed by the President of South Sudan.
|Name||Took office||Left office|
|Elijah Malok Aleng||July 2005||August 2011|
|Kornelio Koriom Mayiek||August 2011||January 2017|
|Othom Rago Ajak||January 2017||May 2018|
|Dier Tong Ngor||May 2018||January 2020|
|Gamal Abdalla Wani||January 2020||November 2020|
|Dier Tong Ngor||November 2020||January 2022|
|Moses Makur Deng||January 2022||August 2022|
|Johnny Ohisa||August 2022||October 2023|
|James Alic Garang||October 2023||Incumbent|