Kenya’s National Transport and Safety Board (NTSA) has been working on the new smart driving licences for a while now. They are meant to replace our ageing driving licences that we have had since independence. Apply for NTSA Smart Driving License on TIMS Portal
These new licences have tech that we are used to in the 21st century like a chip that holds driver information and a points system that is used to discipline drivers. They have also been working on the Transport Integrated Management System (TIMS), a database that holds all of the information surrounding driver’s licences and vehicle inspection.
Application and Booking Appointments
To apply for these new driving licences, you’ll need to register on NTSA’s Citizen self service portal, TIMS. However, you need a driving licence appointment with NTSA, which you get when you go to NTSA’s Upper Hill offices.
What is a smart card driving License?
Smart Driving license is a kind of license that is technology ready. It comes with a chip that contain a drivers details like accident caused, years of driving, vehicle driven e.t.c. It replaces the old driving license that were are used to. It was introduced by Kenya’s National Transport and Safety Board (NTSA). NTSA Smart Driving License
How to register for any account at NTSA TIMS portal
We had earlier provided a procedure on how create an account at NTSA TIMS portal.
What is NTSA TIMS?
TIMS is a free, seamless and convenient portal for members of the public to access NTSA services. National Transport ans safety authority requires when members are registering their individual accounts in TIMS provide (National Identification Number, KRA PIN Certificate Number and the Mobile Number)
Procedure of NTSA Kenya TIMS registration
- Visit: www.ntsa.go.ke
- Click the TIMS logo
Subscribe to receive SMS
- REGISTER an Account on TIMS
- Enter your National identification Card (ID) serial number and other required information
- You can register as an individual, Dealer, Agent, Financial institution or a company
- Both Buyer and seller must have an account on TIMS
- Log-in to access your profile
NOTE: You must subscribe to sms to receive notifications on passwords, security coded and other information involved in the process.
How to get new smart driving License in Kenya
Before you begin applying for smart driving license in Kenya be sure to have copies of the following details ID number, phone number, KRA PIN, Ksh 3100 in your mpesa. Now let’s get started;
- Visit NTSA Tims portal sign in page or register if you do not have an account. If your account login details are not correct Go to NTSA Likoni Office (we advise this branch because it is not overcrowded. It is located in Likoni Road, Nairobi)
- At the login page, enter your id number as the username and password you used when you created your account.
- Click Get Code
- A Verification Code will be sent to your phone number. Enter the code and click sign in.
- Click on Driving License Tab
- Click on Apply for Smart DL. If all your details are correct, click the next button at the bottom of the page.
- Click Pay Button
- You will be redirected to the payment page. Select your payment method, pay, and click the complete button
- After clicking the complete button you will be redirected to a page with your invoice. Click the print button and then click save to download a pdf of the invoice for security and reference purposes.
- After downloading, go back to the web page and click the Submit button
- Select collection location and book the date when your Biometrics will be taken. Green indicates available booking time and date while red indicates that booking time is not available on that date.)
NOTE: To get smart license,You are required to book an appointment with NTSA to be served without much queuing. An sms will be sent to you when your appointment time or day is ready. To book an appointment just login to your account and click SmartDL appointment.
How to Subscribe to NTSA SMS
To subscribe for NTSA SMS
- Visit sms portal: Subscribe SMS
- Enter you phone number and subscribe
- To confirm you have subscribed to NTSA 22847 Service:
- Dial *100*5*4*1# for safaricom prepaid
- Dial *200*5*4*1# for safaricom postpay
Points System and Offenses
Speaking of the Points system, the new licenses will be equipped with a digital wallet for paying fines. NTSA has also reported that it is working with the Police and the Judiciary to enable instant fines. A new license will be configured with 20 points, which are refreshed every three years. Losing points due to offenses will force NTSA to invalidate or suspend your license. By the way, each offense subtracts a point in line with NTSA regulations.
The point system is available but is not activated until 80% of the licences are converted. Currently NTSA says that roughly 50,000 licences are smart.
Notably, NTSA says the new DL enforces integrity and cannot be forged easily owing to the amount of biometric data it holds. It, in essence, professionalizes driving and aims to ensure that law-abiding drivers are rewarded and reckless ones are punished accordingly based on the profile developed by the Points system.
Personal identity data used by NTSA is sourced from NRB (National Registration Bureau), and authenticated by KRA (Kenya Revenue Authority). A user is only required to update his or her address, phone number and occupation. Additionally, the state is working on the National Integrated Identity Management System (NIIMS), which, alongside with an imminent issuance of Huduma Numbers, is expected to ease the exercise as NTSA will no longer need data from citizens as the two systems will be integrated. All existing DL details are already in NTSA systems.
How long does it take to get smart driving license
It takes about 3 weeks to get your smart driving license after your bio metrics have been taken. However, as systems improve the waiting period should have significantly reduced (this waiting period is based on the day this post was published). NTSA Smart Driving License
Where to Resolve NTSA TIMS login or Activation issues (step 2)
Visit Upperhill NTSA Headquarters and go to Counter 7 where TIMS issues are solved. Be sure to carry you’re a copy of your parent’s ID, your ID and KRA pin for activation of your account. However, if you are details are okay go to the step above. Be sure to carry some lunch (money) as the queues there are long. NTSA Smart Driving License
NTSA Tims Login errors and Solutions (step 3)
The most common kind of error when you are login to the NTSA TIMS account is “User not found or the user doesn’t have registered mobile number or login error”
Possible Cause of error: Replacement of ID. If you replace your ID, you serial number changes.
Solution: Follow STEP 2
- If you are getting error on connection kindly try using another browser like internet explore
- If you KRA pin is not being recognized kindly contact KRA for help.
WHAT SERVICES DOES NTSA OFFER ?
Some of the Services offered at the NTSA Kenya website and its portals include;
Was this article helpful?