Here is How to Amend Birth Certificate in Kenya Online
- To Amend the Name on a birth certificate online, the applicant should make the application Civil Registration Department using the Online eCitizen government portal through this link: eCitizen.
- On the website, the applicant should click on the “Sign in” hyperlink to access his/her account if the applicant has an account with the eCitizen, if the applicant does not have an account, the applicant should click on the “Create an account” button to be directed to the registration page.
- On the registration page, the applicant should create an account as a Kenyan Citizen by clicking on the “Create an account” button under the Kenyan Citizen information tab to go to the Citizen Account creation page.
- On this page, the applicant should enter his/her Identification Number (ID) number and his/her first name it appears on the ID and click on the “Validate” button to authenticate the identity of the applicant.
- Once the Identity is validated, the applicant should proceed and enter his/her “email address”, “Mobile number”, Password” and then agree to the terms and conditions and click on the “Continue” button to go to the mobile number verification page.
- Confirm the mobile number and click on the “Send Verification Code” button and a verification code will be sent to the applicant via an SMS.
- Upon receiving the code, the applicant should enter the code in the box provided for “code” and click on the “Verify Code” button.
- The system will automatically verify the code and if the code is correct, the applicant will be registered as an eCitizen user and directed to his/her eCitizen account.
- Once logged into the eCitizen account, on the applicant’s dashboard, the applicant should select to apply for the “Civil Registration Department” services by click on the “Get Service” button in the Civil Registration Department tile.
- The applicant will then be directed to the Civil Registration Services page, where the applicant can view his/her recent applications.
- On this page, the applicant should click on the “Make Application” button to go to the applications page.
- Then the applicant should click on the “BIRTH CERTIFICATE” dropdown menu and select to apply for “Application for CHILD Current Birth Certificate” or to make an application for “Application for ADULT Current Birth Certificate”
- Upon making either of the selections in step 12 above, the applicant will be directed to the application page, and on this page, the applicant should read the provided details and click on the “Apply Now” button.
- On the next page, open the Type of Application dropdown menu and select “New BC” and the applicant will be required to complete more information about the application.
- Answer if the child was born in a health facility and on the next question “Do you want to amend the child’s name?” please select “Yes” in the drop-box.
- Enter the Name of the child as it appears in the Notification and the Name of the child as the applicant wants it to appear and then click on the “Continue” button to go to step 2.
- Enter the required details and attach all the required documents then select the pick-up location and click on the “Continue” button to go to the Review page.
- Review the information you have provided and click on the “Continue” button to go to the payment page.
- Pay the application fee of Ksh.180 using the provided platform and submit the application for processing.
- Upon applying, the applicant will receive an email notification from the Civil Registration Department informing the applicant of the successful submission of the applicant.
- The applicant should then go to the Civil Registration Department page in his/her eCitizen account and print the application receipt. The receipt will contain details of the application.
- On the specified collection date in the application receipt, the applicant should go to the selected pick-up location and collect the amended/new birth certificate.
- The online application applies to births that were registered in Nairobi region only.
- Changing names on a birth certificate can only be done to children under the age of two years.
- For Individuals above two years, name changing on a birth certificate is limited to corrections of spelling mistakes or the addition of an extra name.
Apply Direct In Person:
- To Amend the Name on a birth certificate in Person, the applicant should make the application to the Department of Civil Registration under the Ministry of Interior at the district or sub-county offices where the birth was registered. Please view the Department of Civil Registration contact details in the “Office Locations & Contacts” section below.
- The applicant should obtain the application form by visiting the Civil Registration Department office and obtain the application form at the birth registration service desk.
- The applicant should legibly complete the application form as required, clearly indicating the name amendment details.
- Upon completing the application form, the applicant should prepare all the required supporting documents and attach the document to the filled-in form.
- Then the applicant should visit the Civil Registration Department office and pay the requisite application fee of Ksh 180 at the cash desk and obtain the payment receipt.
- Upon making the payment, the applicant should submit the complete application file to the Civil Registration Department official at the birth certificate service desk.
- The official will receive and verify the application dossier and confirm if the application is completed as required and all the required supporting documents are provided by the applicant.
- Upon the verification process, the verifying officer will issue an acknowledgment receipt to the applicant with details of the application.
- Then the amendment application will be forward to the registrar for processing.
- The application will be processed procedurally and the birth certificate will be amended with the new name.
- On the turnaround date, the applicant should visit the Civil Registration Department office and collect the new birth certificate.
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of Civil Registration
Address: Hass Plaza 4th Floor, Lower Hill Road,
P.O Box 49179- 00100 Nairobi
Safaricom Line: 0709 932 300
Telkom Line: 020 6632 300
E-Citizen civil registration service application portal: Website
Address: Lonrho House,15th Floor,
Standard Street Nairobi
P.O. Box 47716-00100, Nairobi
Phone: +254(020) 6900020
Ministry of Interior & Coordination of National Government
Was this article helpful?